Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash
    I think Pairsk8fan's comments are totally meant to spook and undermine Jeremy's confidence; it is as if the poster wanted to say this for a long time and waited until this moment.
    That said, many champs have long endured similar comments over smaller "offenses". It is now Jeremy's job to shrug this off and move on
    Ets:there is an article today about Jeremy liking home cooking in the Colorado paper; not aure if this is helping Jeremy though
    Last edited by jlai; 08-29-2013 at 02:08 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    Jeremy will release an apology through an article/twitter/facebook, and will probably come out( otherwise he'll look like a homophobe to the average person which is worse.)
    I don't know if coming out would make Jeremy look better or if it wouldn't actually make him look worse because he might be perceived by the LGBT community as a traitor to the cause. And if a gay person doesn't seem to particularly care about the rights of other gays being violated, perhaps that person shouldn't expect straight people to care and stand up for LGBT rights? But it never hurts apologizing. If Abbott sincerely apologizes for his unfortunate choice of words and some of those who are currently bashing him in cyber space and blowing the whole thing out of proportion IMO would still not forgive him though, it would probably reflect badly on them, they'd appear as just a bunch of mean-spirited and vindictive people.

It was really smart of Lysacek to pass the responsibility to his federation. When you say essentially nothing, people have essentially nothing to boo you for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Of course ideally, I would like all athletes to behave like Green Tregaro but that is not going to happen. The vast majority of people lack the courage and/or don't care.
    You are probably right about most people, whether athletes or non-athletes. But to the defense of the athletes who lack the courage, I feel it's much easier to speak up and protest when you are seated safely and comfortably in your armchair, writing on sites under a false name and having nothing much to lose.

vCash
    Pairsk8fan, you almost sound like a scorned lover. Why is that? I don't think you're offended by his interview. You just wanted an outlet to voice whatever you have against him.

Varbar, I do think it would make him more sympathetic, but that's just me of course.

vCash
    Some people in this thread are such huge know it alls

Christ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Sasha Cohen's may not be perfect, but it's the best I've seen.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment..._world_figure/
    Given skating's reputation with sexuality, what do you make of the situation going on in Russia right now with gay rights? How do you think the sport will respond given its popularity there?

[–]sashacohenusa[S] 1406 points 11 days ago

I honestly think that social issues should really not be a part of the Games. People should have their rights to be who they want to be and love who they want to love.

The Olympics is about showing what you've done with your life, your dream as an athlete and sharing that with the World. The choices that are being made right now with the Sochi games are really sad and disrespectful to the athletes.

We're all athletes, there should be no one who has to hide who they are. It's kind of unfortunate that it's popped up now and I hope it gets resolved so all athletes regardless of sexual orientation feel welcomed at the Games.
    I heart Sasha Cohen for this. She showed more guts and compassion here than her fellow skaters.

I love Jeremy's skating. I dislike his mouth and his brain. I hate that I love his skating.

vCash
    Russian Athletes Want You to Know They Know Nothing of Russia's Anti-Gay Laws
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/globa...ic-laws/68873/
    Russia is doing its best to become the most homophobic nation in the Western world. In the land of Czar Putin, you can ostensibly be punished for telling a child that gay people exist. You can't come out in support of homosexual rights, either. Among many other issues, that is putting Russian athletes in curious situations wherein they have to pretend they've never heard of their country's embarrassing anti-gay laws.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Sasha Cohen doesn't need USFS, USOC, ISU, or IOC.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Exactly - she is hardly in the same position as active skaters, some of whom have invested 20+ years of work in getting to this point in their career. It's very easy to say how they should comment, or that they should follow the lead of other athletes, but skaters are in a judged and oftentimes conservative sport, and what they say and do on and off the ice can affect their results. They are not in the same position as a runner or a speedskater, who is either fast or isn't. So I can understand wanting to be cautious, and while I think Abbott handled this badly, I can't really fault the skaters who have chosen variations on "no comment" at this time. The responsibility to speak out should be first and foremost on the federations and governing bodies, who have more power and can have a considerable impact if they actually do something useful.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    This...

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    My friend in Berlin sent me this link for the Berlin demonstration that includes English translations of their goals.
    http://www.enough-is-enough.eu/route.html

Our goals:

To raise awareness in Germany of the serious human rights abuses taking place in Russia.

We demand that the German government takes a clear stance in this matter and does all it can to ensure this law is abolished. With its legislation against „homosexual propaganda“ Russia has taken another step way from democratic principles. These include: adherence to human rights, non-discriminatory practices and freedom of speech. The rejection of these values constitutes a gross violation of Russia’s commitments as member of the Council of Europe and as a signee of European Convention on Human Rights.

We appeal to all sponsors of the XXII. Winter Olympics to finally make their position clear on the issue and to use their financial clout in defence of human rights in Russia.

We appeal to the IOC to exclude Russia from the XXII Winter Olympics on its own territory.

We appeal to the German Olympic Sports Confederation and to all German athletes to actively support the rights of homosexuals, transsexuals and intersexuals in Russia during the XXII Winter Olympics in Sochi.

We demand an end to the discrimination of homosexuals, transsexuals and intersexuals wherever they may be in the world.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    We appeal to the IOC to exclude Russia from the XXII Winter Olympics on its own territory.
    Well, that's realistic.....
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Russian Athletes Want You to Know They Know Nothing of Russia's Anti-Gay Laws
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/globa...ic-laws/68873/
    hmmm, interesting..I just see, almost every athletes,who are living or lived in the "greatest free Western world", love Russia, true patriots. They tried both worlds. If Russia is so terrible, why they love it so much?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    hmmm, interesting..I just see, almost every athletes,who are living or lived in the "greatest free Western world", love Russia, true patriots. They tried both worlds. If Russia is so terrible, why they love it so much?
    Most people love their country, but some disagree with its regime, its laws or its government. There is no contradiction between loving your country and wanting a better future for it.

vCash
    Look at how the USA Men's Hockey Team. Brian Burke is basically telling Russia to shove it--but he says that the players should basically concentrate on playing and the "suits" will take the heat. I wish the other skating feds did something similar, although I do acknowledge that someone like Michael Slipchuk does not have the same stature as Brian Burke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Most people love their country, but some disagree with its regime, its laws or its government. There is no contradiction between loving your country and wanting a better future for it.
    Maybe you don't understand. They don't believe that they are living in a regime. The famous, rich athletes want to live in Russia..And Russia has a big potential..Many people has money-not only the oligarchs have money, as you think. In Spain on the seaside there are some Russian villages, where the most owners are Russian. Israel, Egypt full of Russian tourists, in my country the hydro-hotels and spas also. In Egypt we can read Russian inscriptions on the street...In London the shops looking for Russian-speaking saleswomen...
    Last edited by lala; 08-30-2013 at 06:09 PM.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    lala, my best friend left the United States and will not return because she finds the US policies and much about its social climate wrong and won't support it. Me, I agree with her criticisms but this is my country and I see both good and bad and I would not leave under any circumstances. I am sure that there are plenty of Russians who find many good things about their country and don't like outside criticism from outsiders that doesn't see all aspects of the country. I bet a lot also have their own criticisms they don't care to share with outsiders.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    lala, my best friend left the United States and will not return because she finds the US policies and much about its social climate wrong and won't support it. Me, I agree with her criticisms but this is my country and I see both good and bad and I would not leave under any circumstances. I am sure that there are plenty of Russians who find many good things about their country and don't like outside criticism from outsiders that doesn't see all aspects of the country. I bet a lot also have their own criticisms they don't care to share with outsiders.
    Ok, I understand. (Sometimes i also want to leave my country... because I don't feel good in it) But do you know the big majority of Russians support Putin? The Tv commentators who were in Moscow at athletics world champs told, when Putin arrived in Luzhniki Stadium, every people turned away from the opening ceremony and photographed Putin.

vCash
    Ok, I understand. (Sometimes i also want to leave my country... because I don't feel good in it) But do you know the big majority of Russians support Putin? The Tv commentators who were in Moscow at athletics world champs told, when Putin arrived in Luzhniki Stadium, every people turned away from the opening ceremony and photographed Putin.
    and ? ...

we've also heard 86% of russians support these laws
    makes it ok ?
    makes it their real opinion ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    and ? ...

we've also heard 86% of russians support these laws
    makes it ok ?
    makes it their real opinion ?
    because they love Putin...

I didn't speak about the law. I said many times what is my opinion. I reacted to this article: "Russian Athletes Want You to Know They Know Nothing of Russia's Anti-Gay Laws"

vCash
    because they love Putin...

I didn't speak about the law. I said many times what is my opinion. I reacted to this article: "Russian Athletes Want You to Know They Know Nothing of Russia's Anti-Gay Laws"
    And i was responding to what you said about the "Big majority",
    Questioned it and criticised it .
    Last edited by Eladola; 08-30-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast