Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Is that a bad thing that he'd feel the need to apologize?

Title-less
    vCash
    As long as whatever he says will make things better and wont get him more trouble

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Is that a bad thing that he'd feel the need to apologize?
    Not at all. I think there is a lot of nastiness on the internet being directed at him right now. That twitter update feed for Jeremy is Scary, but this is all a distraction from the role the world plays in minimizing human rights injustices like in Russia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwantumleap View Post
    Not at all. I think there is a lot of nastiness on the internet being directed at him right now. That twitter update feed for Jeremy is Scary, but this is all a distraction from the role the world plays in minimizing human rights injustices like in Russia.
    I'd assert that an analogy like Jeremy's fits very nicely with "minimizing human rights injustices in Russia" though, essentially by promoting inaction and silence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    I'm not too familiar with Dan Savage....but doesn't he supposedly advocate anti-bullying?

It's unfortunate that everyone is expected to be a trained political orator these days.
    Among other things, though the original focus of It Gets Better was helping LGBT teens, before it was turned into a broader effort. Savage is very outspoken about LGBT issues and this is the sort of language he uses all the time (actually, he can be far more harsh if someone deserves it).

I don't expect any skater to opine at length about the law and its implications. Farris and Lysacek didn't, and while Lysacek is the most media trained skater in existence, Farris is young and considerably less experienced in dealing with the media. If he was able to figure out how to deal with these questions, Jeremy should have, too.

That said, while criticism is fair, much of the stuff on his Twitter and FB is way out of line.

Blergh
    vCash
    Everything in the internet is out-of-line. Sadly, it comes with the territory of putting oneself out there through social media in order to garner validation and support from fans. When a celebrity does something the public negatively reacts to, it's really rough. Conversely, I don't really follow celebrities because I prefer to know less about their "real" personalities as to not "ruin" them for me.

I know people are saying he misspoke and his only intention was to say he didn't want to be involved in the politics, but the analogy and his given rationalization of his position has soured him for me for the time being. I mean I understand why he, as a potential participant of the Sochi games, would want the games to go on without being swept up in this controversy, but I really do think his comments allow people to paint him as completely selfish at worst and absolutely clueless at best.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I know people are saying he misspoke and his only intention was to say he didn't want to be involved in the politics, but the analogy and his given rationalization of his position has soured him for me for the time being. I mean I understand why he, as a potential participant of the Sochi games, would want the games to go on without being swept up in this controversy, but I really do think his comments allow people to paint him as completely selfish at worst and absolutely clueless at best.
    Yeah, I totally understand. When I first read his comments I thought it was odd that he was the only one speaking up and I kind of glossed over his glaring response thinking he had the same basic message as Chan. I think Abbott meant to have the same message as Chan, but he delivered it much differently and with more assuredness - so it seemed. After reading the articles in response to his comments and thinking about it more myself, I am appalled at the meaning behind his comparison and I think he will probably be as well.

vCash
    The problem is that he came across as insensitive. Especially now with LGBT issues being at the forefront, and well there is no other way for me to say this...but many of us think he's gay... that he might be gay himself makes everything sound worse.

He better hit the talkshow circuit because this is starting to hit the media outlets.

Wait till the other power-gays get a hold of this: Rachel Meddow, Anderson Cooper, Don Lemon, David Taylor Muir, and *gulp* James Kirchick

Title-less
    vCash
    Skaters are known to have many people around to help them sort out the more mundane aspects of life while the skaters focus on training ( that certainly was true for Jeremy until the last few years). It should be no surprise that some skaters could come across as clueless in certain contexts

vCash
    Just want to share this quote that I found today:

“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.”

― Elie Wiesel, activist, author and Holocaust survivor

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Only just catching up here on the weekend's news and posts.

My only opinion on the Jeremy thing is that it is the responsibility of the USFSA to deal with this issue and they should be speaking out and saying WE OPPOSE THE ANTI-GAY LAW. If they can't do that, they ought to just go suck their thumbs for the duration.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    The USFSA will leave Jeremy out to hang on this one. You are right- they should be the ones speaking out. Their stupid attitude towards gay issues in general got them here.

Jeremy has always been pro gay rights (at least on his twitter). But those views went silent about a month and a half ago...along with other Sr men. Pretty sure they got the message to hush up.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    The USFSA will leave Jeremy out to hang on this one. You are right- they should be the ones speaking out. Their stupid attitude towards gay issues in general got them here.

^this. And I'm sick to death of it. In this day and age skaters in the US are afraid to come out and there's one primary reason: the USFSA and its keep quiet attitude. This is just too much. Too much when skaters are essentially being asked to keep quiet about their own rights. Of course someone is going to end up saying something stupid under such circumstances.

I do not respect the USFSA, the USOC, or the IOC.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    ^this. And I'm sick to death of it. In this day and age skaters in the US are afraid to come out and there's one primary reason: the USFSA and its keep quiet attitude. This is just too much. Too much when skaters are essentially being asked to keep quiet about their own rights. Of course someone is going to end up saying something stupid under such circumstances.

I do not respect the USFSA, the USOC, or the IOC.
    Fully agree on that!!

I think all officials be it USFS or IOC or any other national federation should raise their voice! Along with politicians, media and everybody with a little bit of common sense.

BTW: For all readers that happen to be in Europe - Come to the demonstration "Enough is Enough - Open your Mouth!", Aug. 31 in Berlin/GER. More information http://www.enough-is-enough.eu or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/enough2014?hc_location=stream

Great initiative, they already received worldwide support.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Thanks vocal, sending that on to my friend in Berlin.

vCash
    Thanks for forwarding, BlueRidge!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    I'm not sure there's anything he can say.

It's sad to see his career end this way. No way is he on the Olympic team now.
    I think this is an absolute overreaction. Boston nationals are months from now and the internet has an incredibly short memory.

Honestly, I think it's fairly clear that the IOC is doing the opposite of speaking out. They will not stand up for gay rights. Hell, they will quietly stand behind Russia as Russia punishes anyone who does speak out, which means that anyone who speaks out and is planning to go to the games puts themselves at risk. It's far from an easy situation to navigate. That being said, Jeremy's comments were REALLY poorly phrased. You really don't want to compare human rights to decor.

vCash
    Considering that a pretty hefty proportion of USFS officials is gay/lesbian, I think saying they don't know what to do is kind of amusing. They know what it's like, they know what they're dealing with, they know where their responsibility lies and where their funding come from. The fact that "they" as an organization have not issued a blanket statement - yet - does not mean they are ignoring it or not supporting their athletes or endorsing any policy. Besides, no matter what they do or don't do, people are going to be offended, outraged and disgusted and complain that it doesn't go far enough or goes too far or isn't clear or is just plain wrong. They can't win.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

Banned Member
    vCash
    Knowing that, a) He is not the most educated, intelligent or well-spoken man, and b) He is a USFS-closeted queer who actually has had so many boyfriends in public he appears to be a bit promiscuous, and c) He is not well-versed on human rights, politics or political issues around the world, Jeremy should just SFTU.

He has been stupid enough, over the years, to destroy his own privacy by promoting himself on social media, and unfortunately, he is too stupid and not prepared to answer the world's questions and response to his public babblings.

I notice that in his stupid remarks, he conveniently leaves out the fact that he is a big, ol' queer boi. This is not an insult... I know a lot of men who are Big Ol' Queers. Queer Nation, a politically active group, is full of Queers.

I am QUEER, it is just a word I took back years ago. I like it better than, "gay," but not as much as "homosexual."

"Homosexual" is my favorite word to describe a homosexual person... not "gay" or "queer." Although queer is such a fabulous word, I use it often. It is my right.

So, not only is Jeremy uneducated, inarticulate and seemingly stupid, well he is a coward also. Out in private but closeted in public is the sign of a coward.

SorryBoutIt Jeremy.

vCash
    ... I see.

Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast