Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Abbott was talking about being offensive toward the host country but criticizing the laws is not like "all Russians are drunks!"
    No, it's not, however we've been told that the anti-LGBT law enjoys the support of 86 per cent of the Russian population and 86 is really a big number.

vCash
    Lundqvist Clarifies Stance on Olympic Outcry
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/26/sp...s&emc=rss&_r=0
    “When it comes to the Olympics, I think you should just focus on the sport,” Lundqvist said in Stockholm. His subdued remarks drew criticism, in part because two of his Sweden teammates, Henrik Zetterberg and Victor Hedman, spoke out strongly against the law.

But on Sunday, Lundqvist clarified his stance.

“Of course I don’t agree with the laws they have there,” Lundqvist said before a charity event in Brooklyn. “I think everybody should have the same rights — it doesn’t matter who you are.”
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    I honestly don't see why Abbott's comments are being attacked like this. Essentially he was saying that while he was in Russia he would respect their laws. He wasn't saying their laws were just. He wasn't saying he agreed with them. He was simply stating that as a guest in the country, he considers it his duty to not break their laws.

I don't agree with their law but if I was lucky enough to be attending, I'd obey it rather than chance any kind of arrest. I don't blame Jeremy for doing the same. I've made this argument with others. The athletes have a job to do. One that is the pinnacle of their whole careers. To ask them to deal with this issue, either by boycotting or outing themselves if they're not ready, really isn't fair imo. Let them go and do the job they've trained a very large part of their lives to do, in peace.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    It's sad to see his career end this way. No way is he on the Olympic team now.
    Whilst I agree Jeremy's analogy was crass, I think this is a bit of an over-reaction.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Yeah, Abbott is perfectly capable of not putting himself on the Olympic team all by himself.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Maybe I'm just sleep-deprived at the moment or just dense at first glance, but beyond being the sort of half-assed, wimpy, roundabout answer that anyone at USFSA would likely also give on any sensitive subject, what exactly is wrong, controversial, or Olympic-chances-damaging about Jeremy's comments?

If it was 2014 Nationals and it was everyone's best day, Jeremy would be so unquestionably above everyone else that he should not be hurt by these comments. His skating, if it were to be 100% on, would speak for itself.

And what is the alternative? Looks like you'd either have to be oh-so-touchy and sensitive, as skating fans always are about anything, and stay silent about the matter, or actually grow a pair of balls and actually speak out against it.

vCash
    ^I completely agree. Why would US Figure Skating care, anyway? It's not like they have a firm stance on the issue either.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    It's also not like any of the other male competitors are going to be stirring leaders for human rights, Martin Luther King in sequins. That's not their job, anyway.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    I am a little confused. Jeremy was clumsy - I thought Joshua handled it much better in that article - but he certainly didn't say he supported the laws or anything! Poor Jeremy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I'm as passionate about the LGBT situation in Russia as anyone, but I didn't get my feathers ruffled over Jeremy's comment.

His statement was not eloquent or intelligent and I do understand the backlash. But when I read it, I took it as Jeremy's misguided attempt at being PC. Didn't work too well. (And no, I'm not an Abbott uber.)
    I love Jeremy Abbott and Patrick Chan - so don't take this the wrong way but when I read that the first time I thought you meant Jeremy's misguided attempt at being PC = Patrick Chan - particularly bad in the media - which made me laugh.

On another note - I am horrified by what is happening in Russia - but I think people are ridiculously overreacting to what Jeremy Abbott said. I mean this is the same guy who shouted something about Kung Fu Panda in the kiss and cry right? He is not a politician - he is a figure skater caught in a very difficult position.
    Last edited by The Accordion; 08-26-2013 at 03:24 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Dan Savage and Joe My God are on it, too.
    I'm not too familiar with Dan Savage....but doesn't he supposedly advocate anti-bullying?

It's unfortunate that everyone is expected to be a trained political orator these days.
    Last edited by Dr.Siouxs; 08-26-2013 at 02:01 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I am a little confused. Jeremy was clumsy - I thought Joshua handled it much better in that article - but he certainly didn't say he supported the laws or anything! Poor Jeremy.
    The problem is, that's not the way it's being quoted in the blogs.

The story is traveling fast and furious on social media. I think it has legs.

vCash
    No Tolerance for Russia’s Anti-Gay Games
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...gay-games.html
    Now, the IOC should be telling Russia to revoke its anti-gay law in order to conform with the Olympic Charter and remain the host of the Winter Games. As the committee has so far shown no such inclination, sponsors of the Olympics and television networks that plan to cover the event ought to push. Otherwise, come February, they may find themselves in an embarrassing mess....

Unless the IOC acts, sponsors such as Coca-Cola Co., McDonald’s Corp. and Visa Inc. will be tied to an officially anti-gay Olympics.

vCash
    The IOC should say publicly what it thinks of Russia’s anti-gay law
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/comme...ticle13938890/
    The Russian government has told the International Olympic Committee that the Sochi Games will be free from discrimination against homosexuals. That claim is not good enough. Neither is the IOC’s response.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Associated Press article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...897_story.html
    Excerpts:
    ULRICHEN, Switzerland — FIFA President Sepp Blatter expects a reply within days from Russia, the 2018 World Cup host, clarifying its law prohibiting gay “propaganda.”

Blatter told The Associated Press on Sunday that he asked “by letter and by personal contacts” up to Russian President Vladimir Putin for details about legislation that has provoked an international outcry leading to the 2014 Sochi Olympics.

“The office of Mr. Putin has promised to me that they will send all these documents in the first days of September,” Blatter said. “And I have also asked the Swiss embassy to look and to help us to obtain the correct versions of that.”
    Soccer’s governing body joined the IOC in asking Russia how the law would apply during their events, and if athletes and fans face discrimination.

“For the time being we have received only protests and demands from our football, sports or Olympics people. I have received nothing officially from the Russians,” said Blatter, who is also an International Olympic Committee member.
    He also offered to help the IOC deal with Russian authorities, and support the Olympic body’s new president who will be elected in a Sept. 10 vote that Blatter will attend in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Athletes may wish to speak out, but they may also wish to focus on the task at hand – winning competitions. They shouldn’t bear the brunt of challenging Russia. It falls to the world community, and also to the only body that can confer the glory of the Games on a host country – the IOC. The law makes a mockery of the spirit of unity that the Olympic movement claims to uphold, and the IOC should say so, publicly.
    From the same article.

Agree. If the IOC doesn't step up, the Sponsors should.

Let the athletes be athletes. They shouldn't have to be spokespersons about something the IOC should be handling. .

vCash
    1. Like it was said, Abbott is capable of knocking himself off the team with his skating.

2. I think the analogy was really really bad, though.

vCash
    Canadian Olympians march in protest of Russia’s anti-gay law
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle13947367/
    Shortly afterward, hockey’s brightest star came out against Russia’s law at the start of the orientation in Calgary.

“It’s not something we’ve discussed a whole lot, but my view has always been that way – that everyone has an equal right to play and we [the NHL Players’ Association] have been supportive of that,” Sidney Crosby, the Pittsburgh Penguins forward who scored the country’s gold medal-winning goal in Vancouver in 2010, said during a press conference at Hockey Canada headquarters. “Those are laws that we don’t necessarily agree with, and I don’t agree with personally.”

vCash
    I know in my heart that Abbott misspoke, but this isn't looking good for him. There is a lot of nastiness out there that is coming against him and harsh generalizations about skaters as well. I'm reminded that it's important for public figures to keep their heads out of the news media and public conversations, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up feeling the need to apologize.

Title-less
    vCash
    He strikes me as the apologetic type too, poor dude. That said he probably learned a useful lesson from this

Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast