Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

vCash
    Philippe (Kirkorov) is flamboyant but has had several public girlfriends and, of course, his ex-wife Alla P., who he still dearly loves (says in public all the time).

By the way, didn't Brian try hard to perpetuate the aura of being heterosexual for a time, too? The 1988/1989 'Canvas on Ice' TV special comes to mind, with Katarina Witt (skating hearts, lovey-dovey actions, sitting together on a bed, etc.). Was America that naive 25 years ago???
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    I know. But Kirkorov sounds interesting for me..I thought he is just flamboyant..
    In English, flamboyant is a code word for gay. Just for future reference.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    In English, flamboyant is a code word for gay. Just for future reference.
    Thank you. I think I know. But that is confused me I read not once the Russian skaters like the flamboyant costumes...I used this word in that meaning.

vCash
    http://en.rsport.ru/olympics/20140104/712614124.html

Putin Lifts Ban on Protests at Sochi Olympics

.............. it probably means we will see one or two gay rights protests.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    http://en.rsport.ru/olympics/20140104/712614124.html
    Putin Lifts Ban on Protests at Sochi Olympics
    .............. it probably means we will see one or two gay rights protests.
    Such decision was made in early December 2013. Putin only confirmed it yesterday.
    http://finam.fm/read/10854/
    http://susanin.udm.ru/news/2013/12/11/415370

There are about 12 issues/groups which were to appear during the Olympics in Sochi. 60-70% address human rights. Gay rights is just one issue.

Also! there are local Russian groups which want stage protests on a few issues which will be considered VERY UN-PC by western standards, with anti-immigrant sentiments “Russia is for Russians” and “Sochi is for Sochi-residents”, anti-gay, and so on.

I do hope there will be no bloody clashes between opposing groups.

I am so glad I decided not to go to Sochi…… And I am VERY glad that so far there are no groups “For Animal Rights” planning to appear in Sochi! I don’t want dogs and cats burned alive by angry locals after the olys are over….

To be more specific on the lifting of the ban and in view of recent terrorist activities:

- such raleys/protests are to be held only in special designated location/s; the location would be under control of Russian FSB officers.

- raley/protest organizers must first contact the Local Sochi Administration Authorities, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and FSB (State Security) department to submit a request for gathering and to get approval.

- Sochi City Administration designated the location – a small park up in the remote mountain area, 15 KM away from the edge of the Olympic Facilities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/russian/russia/...al_zones.shtml

По новым правилам, в городе и на прилегающих территориях протестные акции будут разрешены, но лишь при условии их согласования с местной администрацией, МВД и органами госбезопасности, а также в строго определенных зонах.

http://www.inopressa.ru/article/20de...j/sochi_2.html

"Сочинская администрация на сегодняшний день разрешила проводить акции протеста лишь в одной точке - это парк в уединенной местности в горах, примерно в 15 км от олимпийского медиацентра и основных олимпийских объектов", - отмечает автор статьи. Российская пресса сообщает о том, что ФСБ поручат санкционировать демонстрации."

In 2008 in China the authorities also allocated “zones for demonstration”, they were far away from the city.
    I don't know if protests did much good to the causes...

It's good that people care about important issues, but there are countries where "western style protests" alone do not bring same results...

vCash
    "Russia is for Russians" protests? Humm...maybe it's a blessing in disguise that Kavaguti will not be there (even if she is legally Russian now, she is not ethnic Russian, which is what the skinhead nationalists hate). Stay safe, Yuko! Maybe even Maxim Kovtun (a Jewish surname, certainly in the world of Ukraine's ballet) and ex-Ukrainians like Volosozhar need to stay extra-safe? This is sickening & not in the spirit of the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    "Russia is for Russians" protests? Humm...maybe it's a blessing in disguise that Kavaguti will not be there (even if she is legally Russian now, she is not ethnic Russian, which is what the skinhead nationalists hate). Stay safe, Yuko! Maybe even Maxim Kovtun (a Jewish surname, certainly in the world of Ukraine's ballet) and ex-Ukrainians like Volosozhar need to stay extra-safe? This is sickening & not in the spirit of the Olympics.
    OMG!!!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    To be more specific on the lifting of the ban and in view of recent terrorist activities:

- such raleys/protests are to be held only in special designated location/s; the location would be under control of Russian FSB officers.

- raley/protest organizers must first contact the Local Sochi Administration Authorities, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and FSB (State Security) department to submit a request for gathering and to get approval.

- Sochi City Administration designated the location – a small park up in the remote mountain area, 15 KM away from the edge of the Olympic Facilities.
    Americans don't need the threat of terrorist attacks to come up with similar restrictions:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_speech_zone
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post

By the way, didn't Brian try hard to perpetuate the aura of being heterosexual for a time, too? The 1988/1989 'Canvas on Ice' TV special comes to mind, with Katarina Witt (skating hearts, lovey-dovey actions, sitting together on a bed, etc.). Was America that naive 25 years ago???
    That may not have been Brian's choice, to be portrayed that way.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Twitter:

huffpostgay ‏@huffpostgay 25m
    NBC Olympics coverage won't ignore Russia's anti-gay laws http://huff.to/1dvQkko

vCash
    A bit off topic but maybe the upcoming Olympics and Russia's anti gay laws had something to do with Thomas Hitzelsperger's coming out.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ces-homosexual

Homosexuality among soccer payers is still a huge taboo in Germany and so far no high profile player ever came out so this is kind of a big deal in Germany now ( responses so far have been overwhelmingly positive though ). Thomas has always been well liked for his personality and was respected for his athletic skills. It's a great sign for young soccer fans because the sports ( like most " manly " team sports ) still suffers from prejudice and latent homophobia.

vCash
    That is great news, thanks for sharing. He's recently retired already, though. The fact he waited until his career was finished before coming out seems to confirm football as a very hostile environment (not surprising given the hegemonic masculinity associated with it). Especially when you remember what Justin Fashanu went through.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolore View Post
    A bit off topic but maybe the upcoming Olympics and Russia's anti gay laws had something to do with Thomas Hitzelsperger's coming out.
    He even said that he came out on purpose before Sotchi:
    http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball...-a-942510.html
    (in German)

This was major news today in Germany. I thought it was funny. A lot of prominent people and even the press officer of the German government commented on his coming out (in a positive way). However, it also shows that being gay still isn't seen as "completely normal" in Germany since his coming out was such a big deal. I think all people should be equal and their sexual orientation doesn't matter.
    Homosexual athletes in professional sports (especially men in sports like football or soccer as the Americans say) unfortunately still have to fear discrimination. I agree with Ziggy that hopefully Hitzelsperger's example will help others, especially young athletes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    That is great news, thanks for sharing. He's recently retired already, though. The fact he waited until his career was finished before coming out seems to confirm football as a very hostile environment (not surprising given the hegemonic masculinity associated with it). Especially when you remember what Justin Fashanu went through.
    I think Hitzelsperger was maybe in a slightly different situation than some other athletes, he nearly married his girlfriend in 2007 and in the interview he said, that he only came to terms with his homosexuality during the last few years. He also retired because of personal reasons. So maybe he simply wasn't the best candidate to be out and proud while still being active. It all sounds like he struggled a lot.

I think it's fantastic that he now felt comfortable enough to talk about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    He even said that he came out on purpose before Sotchi:
    http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball...-a-942510.html
    (in German)

This was major news today in Germany. I thought it was funny. A lot of prominent people and even the press officer of the German government commented on his coming out (in a positive way). However, it also shows that being gay still isn't seen as "completely normal" in Germany since his coming out was such a big deal. I think all people should be equal and their sexual orientation doesn't matter.
    Homosexual athletes in professional sports (especially men in sports like football or soccer as the Americans say) unfortunately still have to fear discrimination. I agree with Ziggy that hopefully Hitzelsperger's example will help others, especially young athletes.
    I heard on the news this morning that David Cameron and I think our sports minister (whose name escapes me) publicly congratulated Hitzelsperger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    That may not have been Brian's choice, to be portrayed that way.
    True, although I remember reading that Brian B. had a lot of 'say' in the production of 'Canvas on Ice.' Even more so a year later with 'Carmen on Ice,' which perpetuated the "hints of romance" with Kat. This also reminds me of another now-obvious lie on TV, this one by Brian Orser, shown all 'lovey dovey' in the 1984 ABC 'up-close-and-personal' segment that preceded the SPs in Sarajevo (Brian Orser shown romancing supposed-girlfriend named 'Summer' next to a lake, sunset in the background). That was then - the era of lies. What matters most is now. But it's a tad humorous to look back on the little fibs of yesteryear.

Back to 2014 - Billie Jean King just appeared on the TODAY Show and mentioned Ashley Wagner twice, praising Ashley for her spoort of the LBGT community. Of course, Billie Jean also talked about her co-commission-delegate Brian Boitano.

vCash
    Sad upshot of the Russian law revealed to me on CBC's "The Current" this morning. Several Canadian families that were in the process of adopting Russian orphans and had already been given the okay and had bonded with their child have now discovered that the law opposes the adoption of Russian children to any country that allows for equal LGBT rights. The mother who was interviewed broke my heart. You could tell she was trying so hard not to break down. She said the worst part for her and her husband was how this let down was affecting the child who had blossomed under their attention. She so did not want them to be the second family to let this child down. They are asking the Prime Minister to try to intervene.

They also had on a journalist from Russia, Masha Gessen who is in a same-sex relationship and has 3 children. Since the law says children cannot be exposed even to neutral or positive same-sex examples, they feared their children would be taken away from them and they could be jailed so they have left Russia.

If anyone wants to read about/hear the interview go here: http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode...putins-russia/

For all of today's episode this is the link http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode...html?cs=utf-8#

vCash
    Twitter:

PinkNews ‏@pinknews 3h
    Gay New Zealand speed skater Blake Skjellerup blasts Olympics hosts for refusing to 'embody diversity' http://p.ink.cx/1j0T9kR

vCash
    Damnit, off by one place. It must really hurt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    All this furor over Jeremy Abbott is a great deal of fun to discuss, but let's all be realistic....

Jeremy is NOT going to Sochi, and his thinking that "a place my be taken away from him" due to a potential boycott is ridiculous.

Look, he has already been sent to an Olympics, a GPF, as well as several world championships. He BOMBS OUT NEARLY EVERY TIME. Never close to a medal. Never close to helping the US gain more spots. He stinks!

He CHOKES as a competitor, so he doesn't deserve another chance. SorryBoutIt Jeremy and everyone else.
    Erm...

Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast