Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hydro View Post
    Maybe. But activism takes on many forms. If people protest Weir and his hypocrisy, so what? The way you write in this thread, it sounds like the only form of activism you find acceptable and effective is YOUR kind of activism, which, I think is not your intention.
    I wasn't criticizing anyone in the post you quoted. I was thinking about what could be done that might be effective. I don't think there's going to be a boycott and I don't know what the protesters goal was in this care. I was asking what it might be. Maybe they are still advocating a boycott? I don't know. I do wonder what people want to see done at this time.

I may have an opinion on what may work better than something else. If you find it offensive that I do have such an opinion, I don't suppose there's much I can do about it. I am interested in where things stand right now regarding protesting the anti-gay law and the Olympics. What do people think can be accomplished and what would be the best way to accomplish it?

ETA: What actually prompted my questions and thoughts in the post quoted was that I saw a DC Metrobus with a full-bus ad for a political cause I will leave unmentioned and I thought hmm, maybe something like that would be a good thing to do to bring up the issue of the anti-gay laws in relations to the Olympics, like remember when you are watching the Olys from Sochi, this is what gay people face in Russia or something like that. So I was wondering where those who are active on the issue feel things are right now and what people think should be done.
    Last edited by BlueRidge; 12-05-2013 at 08:12 PM.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Watch me move
    vCash
    "You can have your gold medal stripped from you"?

Johnny should be aware that it's the IOC that awards the medals, not the government of the host country. The only people who have had medals taken away in the past are cheaters or dopers.

Someone who's going to be a commentator for the US host broadcaster should know this stuff.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Not sure why Johnny spoke at a college, but it is college. College students protest people who speak at their school all the time. It's not like Johnny was being accosted while going to Shake Shak.
    Columbia U has been having a series of discussions focused on the Sochi Olympics and Russian Politics, as part of their Harriman Institute. The Harriman Institute at Columbia focuses on Eastern Europe and Russia and the surrounding area. This particular panel was "The Sochi Olympics and the Role of Athletes", so it is a logical fit for Johnny as a gay Olympic athlete, and as a broadcaster going to Sochi, especially as it directly follows the last Harriman event, which was specifically about "Transnational LGBT Activism and the Sochi Olympics". His husband was also a speaker.

Why did you guys not tell me this talk with Johnny was happening on campus? I check the Columbia events page frequently, so how did I miss this? I would have totally gone. Next time, let me know, and I'll go spy for you all.

Here is the event announcement, so you can see what it was all about: http://harriman.columbia.edu/event/s...-role-athletes

Once they post the video, I'll link if I remember.
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 12-05-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    "You can have your gold medal stripped from you"?

Johnny should be aware that it's the IOC that awards the medals, not the government of the host country. The only people who have had medals taken away in the past are cheaters or dopers.

Someone who's going to be a commentator for the US host broadcaster should know this stuff.
    He was talking about making any kind of protest or demonstration as part of the Games, which the IOC has already gone on record as saying they would not tolerate, since it would be a violation of their rules.

I think he holds the commonly held belief that Carlos and Smith were stripped of their medals after their black power salute protest at the 1968 Olympics, when the IOC forced them out of Olympic village in response. The official Olympics site still shows them as medalists in the Men's 200m.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    He was talking about making any kind of protest or demonstration as part of the Games, which the IOC has already gone on record as saying they would not tolerate, since it would be a violation of their rules.

I think he holds the commonly held belief that Carlos and Smith were stripped of their medals after their black power salute protest at the 1968 Olympics, when the IOC forced them out of Olympic village in response. The official Olympics site still shows them as medalists in the Men's 200m.
    I hope he's better informed before he actually starts commentating.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I hope he's better informed before he actually starts commentating.
    It's a common mistake, and I'm guessing most figure skating commentators in NA wouldn't have known that. Jim Mackay and Chris Shenkel, yes.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    So I was wondering where those who are active on the issue feel things are right now and what people think should be done.
    Contact this organization and address your concerns. they will appreciate the concern and donations.
    http://www.gayrussia.eu/en/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayrussia.ru

and in general, for all, it is a good idea to first learn the history behind an issue, demographics and public opinions, and much more, before "starting to protest".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Russia

One can yell at Putin and Russian Government all one wants, but most of 150 million people have very set views on homosexuality, and THAT is what has to be addressed, as well as "protection laws" for gays.

Homophobia in Russia: Public opinion in Russia tends to be among the most hostile toward homosexuality in the world—outside predominantly Muslim countries and some parts of Asia—and the level of intolerance has been rising.[15] A 2013 survey found that 74% of Russians said homosexuality should not be accepted by society (up from 60% in 2002), compared to 16% who said that homosexuality should be accepted by society.[16] In a 2007 survey, 68% of Russians said homosexuality is always wrong (54%) or almost always wrong (14%).[17] In a 2005 poll, 44% of Russians were in favor of making homosexual acts between consenting adults a criminal act;[18] at the same time, 43% of Russians supported a legal ban on discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.[18] In 2013, 16% of Russians surveyed said that gay people should be isolated from society, 22% said they should be forced to undergo treatment, and 5% said homosexuals should be "liquidated".[19]

There are materials to read. History of discrimination of homosexuals in Russia and much more.

http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.ed...C-May-2011.pdf

http://www.glbtq.com/social-sciences/russia,8.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_history_in_Russia

It's a tough road ahead to change people's minds.... Even with less acute issues such as "spay and neuter your pets" and "recycling glass and paper". It all takes time, and very small steps.

Watch me move
    vCash
    It's a common mistake, and I'm guessing most figure skating commentators in NA wouldn't have known that. Jim Mackay and Chris Shenkel, yes.
    It's his job to be informed about things like this - especially more so given the issues that he's now expressing his opinions on.

vCash
    Twitter:

AMERICAblog Gay Rts. ‏@AMERICAblogGay 13m
    Elton John blasts anti-gay law during Moscow concert http://ift.tt/18e2eTI

vCash
    Thanks for that post Tinami.

No arrest for Elton John?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It's his job to be informed about things like this - especially more so given the issues that he's now expressing his opinions on.
    The bar for commentators isn't very high, and it's not like he's going to be so far behind his colleagues if he doesn't.

vCash

[/QUOTE]Of course, now that he's in a position of privilege, he doesn't want anything to challenge his upper level status.

It is doubtful that few, other than JW, will consider him as "Upper Level" as a background comment person
    Morry Stillwell

Watch me move
    vCash
    The bar for commentators isn't very high, and it's not like he's going to be so far behind his colleagues if he doesn't.
    The standard for commentators is higher than the standard for the "regular" person - since the commentators are the ones who are supposed to be informing the viewers - and given the stories of how thoroughly commentators like Bob Costas (annoying as he is) prep for the Olympics, I suspect Johnny may have to work on upping his background information, even if he's there as a colour commentator.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The standard for commentators is higher than the standard for the "regular" person - since the commentators are the ones who are supposed to be informing the viewers - and given the stories of how thoroughly commentators like Bob Costas (annoying as he is) prep for the Olympics, I suspect Johnny may have to work on upping his background information, even if he's there as a colour commentator.
    I disagree: they're info-tainers, not journalists. I'd say that the bar is lower for US commentators, except I remember a Canadian competition where I think it was Rod Black who said that he was standing in front of the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow, which he claimed was the stage where Nureyev and Baryshnikov danced, etc., etc., when they were members of the Kirov Ballet and danced in St. Petersburg until they defected, which he would have learned if he had consulted the Wikipedia article on Bolshoi Ballet or the articles on either dancer. I'm guessing that Weir would not have made that mistake

vCash
    if only Tom Daley were a figure skater...

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    November 17th Associated Press article (longer version than what was posted earlier in this thread): Sochi 2014: Activists step up pressure on Olympic sponsors to speak out against Russia’s anti-gay law
    Excerpt from th end:
    Among gay-rights activists in Russia, there have been mixed views of the protests unfolding in the U.S. and Western Europe. Some have expressed gratitude; others have second-guessed the motives and strategies.

“These boycotts and protests have not made any gains for the Russian LGBT community and won’t in the future,” said Nikolai Alexeyev, a pioneer of Russia’s gay-pride movement. “I believe that a lot of people in the West have been doing PR for themselves using Russian issues.”

He suggested that Western governments ban entry to any Russian politician involved in passing the anti-gay law.

Several U.S. activists stressed the importance of working with their counterparts in Russia.

“The challenge is to make sure that actions taken by advocates outside of Russia are done in concert with the LGBT community there and will help lead toward long-term change — not provoke a post-games backlash,” said Shawn Gaylord, advocacy counsel for Human Rights First. “That would be the worst case scenario.”

Overall, the protest campaign had driven home to U.S. activists that their recent victories on same-sex marriage and other domestic issues don’t guarantee swift successes for gay rights abroad.

“There’s some discouragement that it will be as difficult as we suspected,” said Kate Kendell, executive director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights. “It just confirms the necessity of taking a long view, and not being distracted by the lack of a quick fix.”
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013...-gay-law-video

VIDEO: Elton John Denounces Russia's Anti-Gay Law at Moscow Concert

—By Asawin Suebsaeng| Sat Dec. 7, 2013 1:06 PM GMT

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The article has a couple of videos...one of his statement and one of him performing. But I want to post the transcript of his statement...it's wonderful:

You took me to your hearts all these years ago and you've always welcomed me with warmth and open arms every time I visited [Russia]. You have always embraced me and you have never judged me. So I am deeply saddened and shocked over the current legislation that is now in place against the LGBT community here in Russia. In my opinion, it is inhumane and it is isolating. Some people have demanded that because of this legislation, I must not come here to Russia. But many, many more people asked me to come and I listened to them. I love coming here.

I want to show them and the world that I care and that I don't believe in isolating people. Music is a very powerful thing. It brings people together irrespective of their age, their race, their sexuality, or their religion. It does not discriminate. Look around you tonight. You see men, women, young and old, gay and straight. Thousands of happy Russian people enjoying the music. We're all here together in harmony, and harmony is what makes a happy family and a strong society.

The spirit we share tonight is what builds a future of equality, love and compassion for my children and for your children. Please don't leave it behind when you leave tonight. Each and every one of you, please, keep this spirit in your life and in your heart. I wish you love and peace and health and happiness. And this show is dedicated to the memory of Vladislav Tornovoi**.
    [**Vladislav Tornovoi, a 23-year-old gay man tortured to death in southwest Russia in May.]
    Last edited by dardar1126; 12-09-2013 at 03:29 AM.

vCash
    Twitter:

Towleroad ‏@tlrd 7m
    German President Boycotts Sochi Olympics Over Russia's Human Rights Violations http://bit.ly/1aLnhrj

vCash
    Twitter:

Towleroad ‏@tlrd 2m
    Gay Speed Skater Blake Skjellerup Fails to Qualify for Sochi Olympics, is First Alternate for 500M http://tlrd.us/1jEuC3W

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Twitter:
    Oh, I am sorry to hear this.

But for President Gauck!
    Last edited by skateboy; 12-09-2013 at 11:28 PM.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast