Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Good work Ziggy

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I'll share some pics when they are ready. Here's me saying a few words at the start:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=595241713865246
    Ok, whose costume is it going to be this season?

(I bet on Trankov )
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    Ok, whose costume is it going to be this season?

(I bet on Trankov )
    But Trankov would look sooooo much better wearing these pants for JCS at the Olympics.

Cross posted from "Trankov's yellow pants" thread:
    Instead of just plain yellow, I think he should go with "lots of color" on his pants. Be bold and stick out.
    http://pridepants.net/photos/

BTW, Good work Ziggy!!!!

vCash
    Morry - this point has already been made very eloquently by VIETgrlTerifa but to re-iterate:

IOC is selling their product (ie. Olympic Games) by associating it with the values of peace, a sense of community and other related positive qualities. At the same times, Olympic Games are held in a country which has sent a very strong message that being non-heteronormative is not ok. As a result of that, people are getting brutally raped, beaten (sometimes resulting in death) and driven to suicide whilst the authorities couldn't really care less. Those two things obviously jar and the stench of hypocrisy is overwhelming. All we are doing is highlighting this.

When the Olympic Games were held in China, many people were rightly highlighting the human rights abuses there and it was a big issue, with a lot of the media discussing it. If the Olympic Games were held in another country, we would be discussing the issues in that particular country. But they are held in Russia.

vCash
    Twitter:

BuzzFeed LGBT ‏@BuzzFeedLGBT 6m
    U.S. Olympic Committee Adds Sexual Orientation To Its Nondiscrimination Policy http://bzfd.it/GS7NLe

vCash
    Johnny Weir will be participating in a BBC 5 Live program "Sochi - The Protest Games", broadcast 17th October at 7:30PM BST. The program will be examining potential disruption to the Games by human rights groups protests. You can listen live here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live (non geoblocked) and it should be available on catch up afterwards as well.

vCash
    Thank you very much. Also a program about John Curry. And Skate America this week. I'm happy.

vCash
    At least USOC is showing some integrity now. It's great to see them saying they personally disagree with the law and they are going to support all of their athletes who speak out against it.

Blergh
    vCash
    At least USOC is showing some integrity now. It's great to see them saying they personally disagree with the law and they are going to support all of their athletes who speak out against it.
    Let's hope they actively do that and did not just add sexual orientation in name only. However, it is nice to see the negative PR and vocal criticisms had some effect.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Here's a petition to sign:
    Coca-Cola executives are just days away from deciding whether or not to speak out against Russia’s brutal new anti-gay laws -- and we need to show them the potential brand damage at stake if they stay silent.
    http://action.sumofus.org/a/coke-rus.../?sub=homepage

It already has over 92 thousand signatures
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    200,000 have signed so far!
    SumOfUs.org is saying it could be one of the biggest campaigns they've ever run.
    What's up FSU? Have you all stopped caring about this issue because it's getting a bit old and/or the season has started? Does no-one care any more? Is no-one excited that Coke, one of the major sponsors of the Olys, is being pressured to speak out about Russia's new anti-gay law?

Sign the petition already!

vCash
    At best Coke is going to say "we oppose the law but support the Olympics and will continue the support the Olympics and are proud sponsors of the Sochi Olympics"

vCash
    Thanks for sharing Alilou, signed of course.

And yes, Coke will probably make some shitty statement like that but it's an opportunity to further highlight this issue and maybe direct some funding/sponsorship to LGBT activism in Russia.

vCash
    Signed.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Signed.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    I've signed a lot of petitions with two groups that I really like - This one - SumOfUS, and another organization called Avaaz. Both do really good work and have a history of results. One recently was for a young woman who was raped (honestly I can't remember where), anyway she was to be publicly stoned for having sex out of wedlock!!!!! The Avaaz petition together with the people of Avaaz making the effort to connect with the right people and pressure the government concerned led to the sentence being revoked. Stuff happens if enough of us band together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    Stuff happens if enough of us band together.
    'Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    One recently was for a young woman who was raped (honestly I can't remember where), anyway she was to be publicly stoned for having sex out of wedlock!!!!!
    That happens unfortunately in many places in the world, still. People often say in our age all females are empowered, etc. but it's not true, in many, perhaps most places in the world they're not. Often female victims don't tell really what happened to them because their communities only blame them. Even communities in Europe often blame the female herself if she gets in trouble.

Sometimes the world doesn't seem a nice place, thinking about this, thinking about lgbt community trouble, thinking about people being mistreated because they're poor, thinking about people being accused of nasty things they never did or never said, or people being mistreated because they have a certain skin colour or a way life, with or without religion, etc.

Sometimes it helps when many other people say something, sometimes unfortunately, it doesn't. (thinking last summer olympics right now) It's nice to know when at least some people care about horrible things happening and try to do something, even if it is just making others more aware which might lead to some sort of positive action.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Signed.

I am still of the opinion that Sochi, The Russian Federation and Russia is an unsuitable HOST for these Games because their laws and ways demonstrate that the country is NOT HOSPITABLE to all visitors, especially those that are Olympians.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    'Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.'
    I love this quote Zigs. There's a restaurant in Vancouver that has it in huge letters on the outside wall. (I think the author is Margaret Meade.)

Quote Originally Posted by sadya View Post

Sometimes it helps when many other people say something, sometimes unfortunately, it doesn't. (thinking last summer olympics right now) It's nice to know when at least some people care about horrible things happening and try to do something, even if it is just making others more aware which might lead to some sort of positive action.
    I'm really not political, but I guess I'm moved by injustice, and I'm aware I lead a very blessed life, so if signing an online petition can help I think it's the least I can do. I've also always been aware of the power of large numbers of people coming together to bring about change.

Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast