Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    IOC says that the Russian anti-gay law does not violate the Olympic charter.

I was listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about the International Space Station. The announcer added that in the next few months the astronauts at the space station will be taking the Olympic torch for a space walk (not lit of course she added. well of course but that makes no sense...I digress). The point is that people can go on all day that the Olympics is just a sports competition and that its just about making money but the reason it makes so much money for some is that it trades on an aura of special meaning, of Olympic values.

If they aren't going to live up the values they sell, then they shouldn't be able to sell their product based on those values.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    The next Wroclaw Pride is October 5 and we have created an "Eastern Bloc" to show support for non-heteronormative people residing in Russia.

We'll also be collecting signatures for Amnesty International, which is coordinating a worldwide petition to be presented to the Russian authorities.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Well, unlike Russia we now have gay marriage in New Jersey.

Now if only Putin would kindly take his giant va-jay-jay off our property and ship it back to Russia we would be much obliged.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Blergh
    vCash
    What will Johnny Weir say, I wonder.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Excerpt from Mabee interview by Stevens:

[source:http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2013/...er-mabee.html]

Q: In response to Skate Canada's 2009 campaign to make figure skating more "masculine", Elvis Stojko told the Toronto Sun "if you're very lyrical and you're really feminine and soft, well, that's not men's skating. That is not men's skating, ok? Men's skating is power, strength, masculinity, focus, clarity of movement, interpretation of music." At the time, Skate Canada director Barb MacDonald was in charge of communications for One Way Ministries, an evangelical group that promotes "a cure for homosexuality". What are your thoughts on this and do you think homophobia within the sport is still an issue?

A: Well, first off everyone has their opinion on what men's skating should be. I feel like Skate Canada was maybe trying to promote skating as more than spandex and sparkles and let the people who are maybe a little close minded towards having their sons join skating know that it is more than just going out and looking pretty. It takes hard work to get to where you want to be. Regarding what Elvis said (and no offence to him or what he said but) to me Elvis was always just an athlete and not an artist. Men's skating needs a mix of both. I think it is important to respect each individual skater and what they bring to skating. There is no need to define what men's skating should be. It is what it is and we should be so happy to have such a variety of skaters. About Barb MacDonald, I have worked closely with Barb and never had any issues. She always treated me and other gay skaters with respect. Barb is one member of a team of people who push these new messages of what canadian skating should be promoting so I wouldn't think about what she is involved with in her personal life too much with the issue with Skate Canada. Homophobia is and will continue to be an issue. As long as everyone continues to stand up for what is right (gay or straight) then it will get better. We have to support the people who are not getting support they need.

vCash
    U.S. Olympic figure skaters talk about Russia's anti-gay laws
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...#axzz2gOiXZ0p6
    "I'm so nervous to even talk about this," said Ashley Wagner, who said she has gay friends and family. "For me, [the law] is not something I personally agree with."
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Twitter:

Towleroad ‏@tlrd 21m
    Five U.S. Figure Skaters Grilled on Gays and Russia at Olympic Media Summit http://tlrd.us/18mgxC5

Blergh
    vCash
    I'm proud of Ashley Wagner. I think she gave the best answer an athlete hoping not to rock the boat can give. The other ones were just . Abbott dug himself further (no right answer? Really?), Evan was more of the same (I'll stick by whatever USFS does), while Gracie Gold's answer was the biggest non-answer one can give (though it's wise as it's not really offensive). People will get angry about this, but Agnes's answer was the worst for me because it shows that she really doesn't care about this issue. But at least, we know where she stands and isn't hiding by pretending she even remotely cares about this. Before anyone says anything, yes I get not everyone cares or should care. But that doesn't mean it won't shape my personal opinions on a person.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 10-01-2013 at 01:18 AM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    No matter where there is injustice, it is your responsibility to speak out IF YOU CARE. Well, if you can't speak up about it with regard to the Russian law, speak up about it in the skating world and your own country.

Why is Ashley nervous about taking about it? Why do you have to be cautious about what you say, Jeremy lmao? And , yes, Agnes it is all about YOU. Well, how about addressing it Miss Gold?

How sad.
    Last edited by Iceman; 10-01-2013 at 01:08 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Why is Ashley nervous about taking about it?
    Can you blame her? She's getting no support for speaking against the law from the USOC or IOC, and all US athletes have been pressured to essentially shut up on the subject. Not to mention she has to know that no matter how small the risk, there still is a believable chance she could be sent home without competing or at worst, arrested abroad if she speaks up against the law or supports the LGBTQ community if she goes to Sochi.

Ashley has bigger balls than Evan and Jeremy combined, and I say this as a fan of Jeremy's skating.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Okay I love Gracie's answer.

I don't blame the athletes who choose not to speak out. But I applaud Ashley for choosing to do so.

Poor Jeremy still hasn't gotten his foot out of his mouth. Must be tasting really bad by now.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Twitter:
    Towleroad ‏@tlrd 21m
    Five U.S. Figure Skaters Grilled on Gays and Russia at Olympic Media Summit http://tlrd.us/18mgxC5

Jesus Christ where to begin??

As repulsive as Agnes' answer was ("I'm not there to make a difference") I got to give her credit for speaking her mind. She was probably the more genuine of the bunch. As an athlete, she's not required to feel sympathy for others. He job is to perform at the highest possible level and bring home some medals.

Jeremy, I take everything back. He is not a gay man. I repeat: He is not a gay man. His sarcasm and idiotic analogies would be offensive to any gay man. His first interview was no fluke, we just have to accept he's not emotionally invested to care.

Ashley, it's sad when her answer is the best we'll get from team USA. It's the equivalent of saying " I love you... but don't expect me to say that when others are around."

I wish them all good luck.

cuz' god knows they're gonna' need it!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Bode Miller calls Russian anti-gay law ‘absolutely embarrassing,’ steeped in ignorance - AP article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...716_story.html
    Excerpt:
    He [Miller] said the Russian law puts athletes in an awkward position.

"I think it's unfortunate when they get stuffed together because there are politics in sports and athletics," Miller said. "They always are intertwined, even though people try to keep them separate or try to act like they're separate. Asking an athlete to go somewhere and compete and be a representative of a philosophy and ... then tell them they can't express their views or they can't say what they believe, I think is pretty hypocritical or unfair."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Bode Miller calls Russian anti-gay law ‘absolutely embarrassing,’ steeped in ignorance - AP article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...716_story.html
    Excerpt:
    Very well said Mr. Miller.

vCash
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...74,full.column
    Tuesday, the only likely individual U.S. figure skating medalists in Sochi, reigning world champion ice dancers Meryl Davis and Charlie White, also chose not to take a public stand on the anti-gay legislation.

“I don’t think we can speak because we haven’t really talked about between the two of us very much,’’ White said.

“I don’t think the Olympics is really the right place for an athlete to make a political statement,” Davis said.

Asked if this was not a political issue but a human rights issue, White said, “Unfortunately, it’s semantics. To Russia, it is a political statement. And they are the host country. I think that is probably all we will say on the subject.”

vCash
    USOC would support change to Olympic charter
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...arter/2905005/
    In their strongest public stance on Russia's controversial anti-gay law, the top two officials of the U.S. Olympic Committee said they would be in favor of amending the Olympic charter to prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation.

vCash
    Props to Ashley Wagner. From the Chicago Tribune article:

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Wagner
    “I have gay family members and a lot of friends in the LGBT community,” Wagner said. “I have such a firm stance on this. I believe we should all have equal rights, and I also do not support the legislation in Russia.

“At the same time, it is not my place to go into Russia and tell them how to run their country. I believe the best way for you to show your support for the (LGBT community) is to speak out about it.”
    She said something very similar to what I've advised the athletes to say in this thread (waiting for my consultancy cheque ).

Out of the other answers, Davis/White's annoyed me the most because they weren't hiding behind ignorance. It sounded like they knew exactly what the issue was and chose not to tackle it, which really is nauseating. 'The Olympics are not the right place to make a political statement.' Puh-leaaze.

Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    Jeremy, I take everything back. He is not a gay man. I repeat: He is not a gay man. His sarcasm and idiotic analogies would be offensive to any gay man. His first interview was no fluke, we just have to accept he's not emotionally invested to care.
    1) Calm down, love.
    2) You need to buy some glasses.

On a more serious note, whilst his first interview was incredibly stupid, we should probably put all this into perspective. Let's remind ourselves that there are exactly ZERO out non-straight competitive skaters in the US (and worldwide) at the moment. Gay athletes must constantly feel a lot of uncertainty and a lot of fear. It's much easier for a straight person to speak out about this.

Back over here, we've finished preparing all of the "Eastern Bloc" stuff for Pride. I'll post some pics later.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 10-02-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Eh?
    vCash
    Wow -- I expected a lot more from Davis and White. What lame responses from them. Very disappointing. Huge thumbs down to two of them.

vCash
    “I don’t think the Olympics is really the right place for an athlete to make a political statement,” Davis said/
    Isn't that a political statement?

Anyways, I am so over "It's so rude to say something bad about the host!" argument. Isn't Russia supposed to be all about "HONESTY" and "Being Politically Incorrect", blah blah blah? What--Russians don't critique people's interior design? Don't buy *that*.

Blergh
    vCash
    I thought Agnes and Jeremy had the worst responses so far...then Davis/White answered. I think that really took the cake. I mean a matter of semantics...really? IMO, by saying the Olympics is no place to bring these issues up, you're essentially agreeing with the idea that the issue itself is no big deal and can be ignored for the sake of the competition. I think both sides would agree (if one were to agree with that sentiment or agree with the Russia law v. those who absolutely detest the law) that statements like that really are a point-of-view.

I rather skaters speak their minds, but that doesn't give them a free pass from critique from either side. That's the price one pays for showing personality. If one really wants to have a non-answer and avoid all of that, then Gracie Gold's answer is the way to go. It's not worthy of respect, but it's not really worthy of disdain either.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 10-02-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast