Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'm genuinely confused. Abbott's "remarks" could actually mean he misses the Olympic team, even he wins Nats by miles?

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    ...Is that really the best use of their advocacy efforts?
    I suppose it is news, but people have such a tendency to lose perspective that it really is sad to see this if it means people are going to attack Jeremy rather than those responsible for the laws.

Jeremy said something really jerky but I feel really sorry for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I'm genuinely confused. Abbott's "remarks" could actually mean he misses the Olympic team, even he wins Nats by miles?
    No.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    No. Only if you are a conspiracy theorist. Then you would believe that Jeremy Abbott will not be "allowed" to win nats because of his comments. If Jeremy outskates the other men in the US, he will go.

YEAH!
    vCash
    No, but I think what people are getting at is that he won't be done any favors when it comes to technical calls, PCS, and GOE. He's already on the bubble for the team anyway, and his remarks certainly aren't going to help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    Make no mistake, he'll be buried at nationals if the USFS thinks his brand is too poisonous.
    But if the USFSA are so concerned with how sending Abbott would look, why haven't they "come out" to criticise the legislation themselves?

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    No, but I think what people are getting at is that he won't be done any favors when it comes to technical calls, PCS, and GOE. He's already on the bubble for the team anyway, and his remarks certainly aren't going to help.
    Is that just because they are causing controversy? I thought he was saying what the USFSA probably wants said, "we're guests we should keep our mouths shut?"
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    And his Olympic chances went out the window in 3...2...1...

The Advocate just made one of its top stories: http://www.advocate.com/sports/2013/...-would-be-rude
    The story doesn't editorialize. (Kudos to the reporter.) If the Advocate runs an editorial or an op-ed citing Jeremy's comments I'll be a lot more concerned.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    U. S. Figure Skating rules state that the 1st place winner of the National Championships immediately before the Olympics is automatically placed on the Olympic Team.
    Morry Stillwell

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    U. S. Figure Skating rules state that the 1st place winner of the National Championships immediately before the Olympics is automatically placed on the Olympic Team.
    The rule used to say that (it still applies for the U.S. World team) but it was revised prior to the 2010 Olympics. I posted a link to USFS' 2014 Olympic team selection document in this thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3941871

That said, if Abbott wins or places 2nd at 2014 Nationals, I expect him to be named to the Olympic team.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Is that just because they are causing controversy? I thought he was saying what the USFSA probably wants said, "we're guests we should keep our mouths shut?"
    Personally I think USFS would be more concerned about the media outcry than the actual comments. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually parroting the attitude of USFS in his comments.

Banned Member
    vCash
    The August 27, 2013 article in Advocate, the Sports section, is now available to millions of homosexual readers, and those who love them, as well as any interested heterosexuals.

How do you think Jeremy will be received after this article and the comments from Dan Savage are well known?

I bet he will be poorly received and become a pariah in the gay community, always seen as someone who could have helped our cause for gay rights, but failed miserably due to stupidity, selfishness and lack of insight.

He had better apologize, in public, to his Gay, Lesbian and Transgendered brothers and sisters and pray for our forgiveness, or it is possible the gays with PREY on him..... in the media and even in judging. I imagine being a gay judge, knowing his stance on the matter, and judging him more harshly simply due to bias.

Jeremy is in SUCH hot water with the gay community now that the Advocate and Dan Savage have called him out on his crap.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Most gay people aren't stupid enough to waste time on one athlete. We're concerned about LGBT people in Russia. Unless one has a personal grudge against Jeremy, one makes a disparaging comment about his offensive remarks and moves on to actually trying to effectively address the issue.

I'm sure all this is making Jeremy very uncomfortable and it should but its just not going to be the big deal that some of the boyfriends he dumped may wish on him.

Banned Member
    vCash
    From the comments section of Querrty's article on Jeremy. I think this said a lot...

"I believe ‘Olympic athlete’ requires a definition!

Olympic athlete: a selfish and self-important person who cares only about showing off and proving their prowess in a particular and narrow feat of physical (perhaps mental) exertion to the exclusion, even, of apparent regard for the brutal oppression of fellow humans.

Olympic athletes, when confronted with questions about boycotts of their ‘sports’ can often be heard to say something like, ‘How unfair for me, after all this training I’ve done to perform, for you to ask me not to out of deference for the oppressed people I’m effectively walking all over by being hosted by their oppressors. All I want to do is show off!’

Olympic athletes can be identified by their mealy-mouthed replies, overt self-importance and pathetic, disgusting attempts at playing the victim (an especially obvious untruth when comparing Olympic athletes to actual victims of oppression, like LGBTQ Russians)."

Full story here: http://www.queerty.com/american-athl...#ixzz2dHpASxei

Banned Member
    vCash
    Here are even more comments by others, and if you think my tone and response here was too harsh, get a load of this....

"Jeremy Abbott represents the epitome of irresponsible selfishness."

"Comparing brutal human oppression to interior decorating is even more ludicrous than comparing a figure skater to a jock."

"While I sort of understand where the Olympian is coming from, you know, having everything you’ve worked for taken away(which sucks), the equality and protection of a group of people is more important both short term and long term no matter what even if you’ve worked for these games for a few years. In case you haven’t noticed, the LGBT community in Russia has been under fire way before the draconian law was adopted. How selfish of him to try to put all of the violence going on in Russia against the LGBT community under the rug. No matter how “rude” it may seem, we need to fight for the Russian LGBT community even if their government fails to do so."

"No one said athletes were the smartest guys in the class. This twerp proves it."

ITA with all these people who commented on the Queerty story on Jeremy.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Yup enjoy those comments PairSk8Fan. Those folks aren't obsessed with Jeremy however. Jeremy deserves a roasting, but you'll be disappointed when it doesn't become a big deal for anyone else.

Banned Member
    vCash
    All this furor over Jeremy Abbott is a great deal of fun to discuss, but let's all be realistic....

Jeremy is NOT going to Sochi, and his thinking that "a place my be taken away from him" due to a potential boycott is ridiculous.

Look, he has already been sent to an Olympics, a GPF, as well as several world championships. He BOMBS OUT NEARLY EVERY TIME. Never close to a medal. Never close to helping the US gain more spots. He stinks!

So, he is as terrible at competing on the world stage as he is in addressing Russia's "anti-gay propoganda" law, and his own personal opinion about "going to Sochi" is delusional. He is not good enough to go and represent the USA because as a competitor he stinks. He has PROVEN that he crumbles under pressure OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

He has consistently stunk up the joint at 2010 Olympics and nearly all the worlds he has "competed" at, which was no competition since he was awful and had to apologize every time.

So, forget the stupid, PC comments about skating. It IS a sport, and if Jeremy were a basketball player, baseball player or football player, he would be RAKED over the coals for his stinky performances when it counts. He would be run out of town if he were on a sports team, or he would be benched or released on waiver.

He is terrible as a competitor, but is a nice skater.

He CHOKES as a competitor, so he doesn't deserve another chance. SorryBoutIt Jeremy and everyone else.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Top ten at the Olympics is a horrific result.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    All this furor over Jeremy Abbott is a great deal of fun to discuss, but let's all be realistic....

Jeremy is NOT going to Sochi, and his thinking that "a place my be taken away from him" due to a potential boycott is ridiculous.

Look, he has already been sent to an Olympics, a GPF, as well as several world championships. He BOMBS OUT NEARLY EVERY TIME. Never close to a medal. Never close to helping the US gain more spots. He stinks!

So, he is as terrible at competing on the world stage as he is in addressing Russia's "anti-gay propoganda" law, and his own personal opinion about "going to Sochi" is delusional. He is not good enough to go and represent the USA because as a competitor he stinks. He has PROVEN that he crumbles under pressure OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

He has consistently stunk up the joint at 2010 Olympics and nearly all the worlds he has "competed" at, which was no competition since he was awful and had to apologize every time.

So, forget the stupid, PC comments about skating. It IS a sport, and if Jeremy were a basketball player, baseball player or football player, he would be RAKED over the coals for his stinky performances when it counts. He would be run out of town if he were on a sports team, or he would be benched or released on waiver.

He is terrible as a competitor, but is a nice skater.

He CHOKES as a competitor, so he doesn't deserve another chance. SorryBoutIt Jeremy and everyone else.
    FACTS
    a) Jeremy earned a spot at the last Olympics by winning the National title.
    b) Jeremy had been instrumental in maintaining three spots at the 2010 Worlds. If he had done worse than he done, America might have dropped to two. In this case, his ranking was one of two used to determine the USA's slots at the 2011 Worlds (Rippons' sixth place was the other)
    c) Jeremy won the GPF in 2008/2009.
    d) Out of the currently competing skaters, Jeremy has the best Worlds result (depending on your classification of Lysacek and Wier as currently competing)
    e) The USA has two spots for Sochi

Any comments he has made since doesn't impact these facts

OPINION
    a) The field has become stronger (imo: after the top three, only Bradley and Rippon had a shot at the Olympics; this coming season, I'd argue that Miner/Rippon/Dornbush/Farris/Brown/Aaron/Lysacek are the competitors); with one fewer spot, the chances are smaller he'll make the team compared to last time
    b) His comments don't change his chances
    c) If the USFSA is disappointed in his comments, they'd better say so. But given that the skaters are clearly operating under their instructions, it's doubtful that they are or they will.

I don't recall Jeremy having to apologize after any Worlds performance. Can someone enlighten me here?
    Last edited by Proustable; 08-29-2013 at 02:02 AM.

Title-less
    vCash
    Considering how protected he had been by fans and family (who managed his sites) before this, he's got to be spooked. UNpleasant comments like Pairsk8fan's, which might be bottled up until now, are bound to comtinue for a little bit; it is unfortunate it comes during the olympic year
    Last edited by jlai; 08-29-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    All this furor over Jeremy Abbott is a great deal of fun to discuss, but
    Hon, let me be the first to bring it to you. There's no furor or discussion about Abbott outside your head. If you check closely, you're the only one who seem to be obsessed with him and keeps posting industrial quantities of long and hysterical posts.

Did he turn you down or something?

Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast