Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I think Putin will continue to try to tighten the screws between now and February, and it's going to explode in his face.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Quadless
    vCash
    No, it won't, because Putin does as Putin wants.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    U.S. figure skaters mostly mum about controversial Russian law
    http://www.denverpost.com/olympics/c...-controversial
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    Reading the interview, she really didn't offend Volgograd, and the title of the article is a yellow press manipulation to make some kind of a cheap sensation.
    I know. Russian journalism is terrible. The yellow press is unscrupulous, and sometimes the sport journalism is also like the yellow press....
    Last edited by lala; 08-24-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    RAMSEY [editorial]: American Olympic athletes should discard the umbrella of safe silence: http://gazette.com/ramsey-american-o...rticle/1505208
    Excerpt:
    Skater Joshua Farris seemed on the verge of speaking out Wednesday, but caught himself.

"I don't want to share too much about it," he said. "I was told to be careful."

Farris declined to name the person who told him to be careful. He did say the person worked for the USOC.

The USOC is not the only culprit. Another source told me many of the skaters' agents have encouraged caution. Agents have their minds on collecting a mountain of cash for themselves and their clients, and controversy fails to sell.
    Skater Evan Lysacek, who won gold in 2010, talked of the joys of unity.

"There's nothing that I want to say personally," he said of the new Russian law, "but I think it's important at a time like this for us to have one unified voice as a nation and as a team and I'll leave that up to the USOC to comment. I think it's best if we let them be the sole voice. . We're their team and we stand under their umbrella."

Unity in silence is one approach, but there's a better way.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-24-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Is anyone really surprised they have no comments? The only skater speaking about this is Weir and he is hardly in a position to make the team anyway.

Crazy Russian Tundra
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Is anyone really surprised they have no comments? The only skater speaking about this is Weir and he is hardly in a position to make the team anyway.
    Which is a real pity. He would have nicely shaked some nerves with some of his Gaga programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Abbott may not care because he's at end of his career, but it's hardly fair to expect Farris to say anything; he's 18, it's his Senior debut, and quite apart from being the Olympic year, his second Grand Prix is...Cup of Russia.

It's not going to do his career any good to go pissing off the Russians at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    True. Plus Farris is coached by Damon Allen, they seem to have a really close bond, he's almost like a father figure to Josh, and given that Damon has been in a relationship with Enrique Viveros for over 10 years now, taking a vocal stance on the issue now just has too many implications on his career, olympic chances, coaching situation, and more, which given that he's 18 and just out of juniors is probably something he wants to avoid at all costs.

Not surprised at Abbott being quiet either, his views are pretty apparent to most fans so I understand why he wouldn't want to speak up about the issue and cause a stir.

vCash
    Answering questions about Russia's laws is challenging at Champs Camp. Skaters are anxious to get feedback and have just come to the mixed zone after doing programs at altitude. They're being asked the technical questions, i.e., "How is the quad?" "Why did you change your music?" and "Will we see a triple-triple in the short?" Then they are hit with "How do you feel about the political situation in Russia?" It's understandable editors would want this covered but the setting wasn't ideal.

Title-less
    vCash
    I understand people's frustrations with athletes not speaking out; at the same time, they are just athletes, not commentators or reporters, and their job is to compete. I applaud those who speak up, but I'd be shocked if a nice, team-player type like Abbott would say anything controversial. They may have opinions they share among themselves though

vCash
    They've been told not to express their views. OF course they aren't speaking out against Russia. To do so would ruin their chances of making the Olympic Team. (and perhaps jeopardize the safety of their team mates who go to the games)

Very sad situation.

vCash
    Very disappointed But the US Olympic Committee has indicated it will not support athletes who protest the law. USOC and other organizations such as USFSA hold more power than the athletes and they are not doing anything. I will focus my ire on them.

vCash
    It's time for people who are really outraged about 1) the law, 2) the violence gays are suffering in Russia and elsewhere, 3) the IOC turning a blind eye to the way it violates the charter, 4) US athletes being forced to chose between constitutionally protected freedoms and their sports careers and 5) athletes from other countries being similarly affected to target the multinational companies that are making this "international" event possible.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Title-less
    vCash
    While I think the laws are wrong, I wonder how many countries can really host the Olympics if a host country needs to be controversy-free, passed no laws or took no action that might cause international outrage. Even countries like Japan have laws that may not meet international approval, if someone manages to capture international attention about them.

But if I am a human rights activist and wanna raise concerns over questionable practices regarding a host country's laws, the Olympics is the perfect time to do so, using whatever leverage I have, including boycott.
    Last edited by jlai; 08-25-2013 at 12:27 PM.

vCash
    For the German-speaking users: Here is an interesting podcast about the topic:

http://www.hr-online.de/website/radi...sp?rubrik=6684

It is HR Kultur "Der Tag" from 20.08.2013 entiteld: "Maulkorb für Homos - Wie weit geht olympische Disziplin?"

vCash
    http://www.towleroad.com/2013/08/us-...yPermalink$%3E

08/25/2013

US SKATER JEREMY ABBOTT COMPARES RUSSIA'S ANTI-GAY LAWS TO INTERIOR DECORATING, WON'T CRITICIZE

BY ANDY TOWLE

Excerpt:

Like many athletes who may be headed to the Sochi 2014 Winter Games, US figure skater Jeremy Abbott is measuring his words, and says he doesn't want to be "rude" to the host country, Russia, even if he may not agree with its laws.

Says Abbott to the Denver Post:

"Russia is hosting us," Abbott said. "I'm not going to go into somebody's house and be like, 'Um, the way you decorate is hideous, and you need to completely redo this or I'm never coming back.' It's a little rude, so I don't want to say bad things about a country that's hosting the world, essentially. "Maybe I don't agree with their policies, and maybe I don't agree with some things, but that's for them to sort out. My speaking out just makes me look like an ass."

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Ummm, Dear Jeremy, criticizing a law trampling on people's rights is NOT the same as going into a host's home and criticizing the way they decorate ...
    You are not alone in your opinion as several people have left similar messages on Abbott's FB fan page, I noticed today.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Farris and Lysacek handled that question better (if it were someone other than Lysacek, I might have thought that was a rather sly answer...). Really I think everyone should have some comment prepared regarding this issue, considering how high profile it is at the moment and directly relevant to the skaters.

OTOH, some of the stuff posted on Abbott's FB is way over the top. "An accomplice in the deaths and torture of millions"?! Seriously?

vCash
    Poor Jeremy has never been media saavy...and he sure jumped into it this time. He was probably just parroting what he was told, but it's pretty bad.

lt will probably ruin his chances of getting to the Olympics. USFS hates controversy...and even though Jeremy was trying to do what they said (against his own beliefs) he screwed up big time.

It also may negatively impact his professional career.

All for following the company line.

Next time, Jeremy- speak for yourself. Don't try to say what they want you to.

(edit- and you know they won't help you out of this mess. )
    Last edited by centerpt1; 08-25-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast