Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Universal Sports on Time Warner Cable???

So I was doing a search out of curiosity to see if by some miracle Universal Sports had partnered with my aunt's rather obscure cable company, and this came up:
    http://www.multichannel.com/distribu...re-pact/144319

Hope this can make some happy FSUers!

vCash
    Glad to see they finally got a contract done. Wonder if Comcast will ever get done.

vCash
    I am a Time Warner customer and I haven't had Universal Sports since it went to a pay service. And I just searched my local Time Warner Cable site and got no results for "Universal Sports." This is not to say that the information you have is incorrect, it just says that Eastern North Carolina Time Warner Cable doesn't "know" "Universal Sports".

Maybe NBC isn't as bad now that their in a major feud with CBS.....

"the games people play, na-nah....."
    Last edited by momnatur; 08-14-2013 at 10:17 PM.

vCash
    Yeah, I don't get why Comcast can't get it done. I mean, seriously?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by momnatur View Post
    I am a Time Warner customer and I haven't had Universal Sports since it went to a pay service. And I just searched my local Time Warner Cable site and got no results for "Universal Sports." This is not to say that the information you have is incorrect, it just says that Eastern North Carolina Time Warner Cable doesn't "know" "Universal Sports".

Maybe NBC isn't as bad now that their in a major feud with CBS.....

"the games people play, na-nah....."
    It often takes a while before the rest of the company catches up. Do they have a website? You might want to check out any new channels coming. Then you can call customer service and tell them all the things they don't know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    It often takes a while before the rest of the company catches up. Do they have a website? You might want to check out any new channels coming. Then you can call customer service and tell them all the things they don't know.
    I can't even get them to maintain their equipment correctly. I have resorted to contacting the area service manager (and his direct reports) in order to get things done. (The state is wideing the street that runs right next to my house and I've had my cable cut on more than one occation - the second time, it was cut in multiple places - and Time Warner expected me to wait 5 days for someone to come out. I am thankful for the contacts I have - the rest of them I deal with as rarely as I can get away with. Bozos.)

vCash
    I've completely given up on Con-cast.

vCash

Univ. Sports on Time Warner

[QUOTE=momnatur;3973644]I am a Time Warner customer and I haven't had Universal Sports since it went to a pay service. And I just searched my local Time Warner Cable site and got no results for "Universal Sports." This is not to say that the information you have is incorrect, it just says that Eastern North Carolina Time Warner Cable doesn't "know" "Universal Sports".

Yes! Universal Sports is on Time Warner now. You have to get the sports package which is $8.99 a month. Is it better to get Icenetwork or Universal Sports?

vCash

Exclamation Who am I to arguie?

[QUOTE=skaterdelight;3986386]
    Quote Originally Posted by momnatur View Post

Yes! Universal Sports is on Time Warner now. You have to get the sports package which is $8.99 a month. Is it better to get Icenetwork or Universal Sports?

SkaterDelight,

I'm glad that you have access to Universal Sports on Time Warner.

But I will tell you that here in Eastern North Carolina, this branch of TWC does not. I searched on Universal Sports and not on hits. Only after I had to argu with the website was I even able to see a station number for Universal Sports, but there was no category selected for it (this was a huge grid of HD, SD, Basic, Digital tiers, Premium etc...) and when I went to my channel lineup on my cable box and tried to access the channel number, it was not recognized. I will be thrilled to share with you when it does come available and then we can discuss whether it is cost effective. Until that time, I won't say another word about this...

As it currently stands, I have to PAY to get ESPN CLASSIC! This is stuff that isn't even high definition video. Neither is that cost effective NOR logical to or for me. Sometimes I wonder, sometimes I just don't bother because it is not worth it.

Moral: what works for one does not necessarliy work for all.

vCash
    Bummer.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterdelight View Post
    I know it might not apply since I don't live in LA and the numbers are likely different, but what channel number are you getting it on? I'm not finding it on my yet either.

Its really apples and oranges as to what you want as to which is better. IceNetwork is like a live stream video that all the networks pick up their feed off of (if that makes sense). It is a straight up video feed of the entire event. If you want to sit there the whole 4 hours (or however long), you can see the entire event from start to finish, every skater, every warm-up, heck even the ice makes. I've found that unless I have some favorites that aren't in the upper echelon, I'm really only interested in those Top 8-10 skaters anyway. But you can rewatch the videos and see every single skater (unless there was a problem with the feed and some early skaters get cut, which happened with Worlds), and they even show the Awards ceremony.

I don't have US so can't say positive, but I believe its like any network edited broadcast, with announcers, only showing certain skaters, like any ABC/NBC type timed broadcast.

For me, its worth the $40 for IceNetwork since I don't have US (maybe ... hoping maybe I do now!). You can see the entire US Nationals and Worlds (which wasn't live in 2013, but at least I had to option to go back and see every skater if I wanted), and GP events. Even if it ain't "live" and they don't release it until a week later, you still get to see it.
    Last edited by BaileyCatts; 09-04-2013 at 08:37 AM.

vCash
    BaileyCats, you said it perfectly.

All coverage will be via a single "feed", although the big networks will also bring their own camara crews and have a few cut overs but then go back to the main feed for the actual event coverage.

And you are spot on when it comes to who gets shown and who doesn't. And it is even worse when there is a significant delay between live and air time.

And, IF I also have to pay for US, I default to IN. Last time US was on TWC, the local NBC affiliate was cutting in for local commercials at all the wrong times. They even cut unto event coverage for local ads. I just hope they've ironed that out, because our local NBC is OWNED by NBC UNIVERSAL.

And the channel that is assigned to US on the chart I was referring to (http://tinyurl.com/q6netj3) is 1546. (You may have to do some figiting to get the channel list to come up, but I was able to get it without logging in their website. Just keep clicking on channels; zip and cable area may need to be selected.)

Hope that helps.

vCash

Time Warner

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    I know it might not apply since I don't live in LA and the numbers are likely different, but what channel number are you getting it on? I'm not finding it on my yet either.

Its really apples and oranges as to what you want as to which is better. IceNetwork is like a live stream video that all the networks pick up their feed off of (if that makes sense). It is a straight up video feed of the entire event. If you want to sit there the whole 4 hours (or however long), you can see the entire event from start to finish, every skater, every warm-up, heck even the ice makes. I've found that unless I have some favorites that aren't in the upper echelon, I'm really only interested in those Top 8-10 skaters anyway. But you can rewatch the videos and see every single skater (unless there was a problem with the feed and some early skaters get cut, which happened with Worlds), and they even show the Awards ceremony.

I don't have US so can't say positive, but I believe its like any network edited broadcast, with announcers, only showing certain skaters, like any ABC/NBC type timed broadcast.

For me, its worth the $40 for IceNetwork since I don't have US (maybe ... hoping maybe I do now!). You can see the entire US Nationals and Worlds (which wasn't live in 2013, but at least I had to option to go back and see every skater if I wanted), and GP events. Even if it ain't "live" and they don't release it until a week later, you still get to see it.
    In LA the US channels are 250 and 357 for HD. I know that if you have US, you can also go online and see the competitions, live and video, as well as watching it on TV. Will they show the same things as Icenetwork? I prefer to watch on my TV because the resolution is better and the setup is more comfortable. It's too expensive to pay $8.99 a month and $50 for Icenetwork. I'm trying to figure out which one to do. The last time I had US, it advertised icedance and men's finals, then didn't show the men's. I got no explanation from US why they didn't make good on the program that I paid to see so they don't have a good rep with me. Then they stopped showing US altogether. I'm just afraid that I start the season paying $8.99 per month, then all of the sudden, come next year, they stop showing figureskating and I'll have to pay $50 for Icenetwork anyway. I can't figure out the geoblock thing either. Is Icenetwork going to show live and is US going to show live as well?

vCash
    Not sure what you mean about figuring out the geoblock thing? I know IceNetwork only works in the USA and (I think) USA territories. It might be that GP events or Worlds won't be shown "live", but they will be available for viewing. I haven't really read up on that yet. I mostly want it for US Nationals anyway.

I know IceNetwork shows all US Nationals "live' as they happen, as I know in the past few years I have adjusted my schedule to make sure I was planted in front of my computer to watch, since there really isn't much time adjusting to do (3 hours at most if they are on West Coast for me). But they don't show anything NBC is broadcast "live". Example: Ladies event is shown "live" on IceNetwork up until the final 2 groups, which will be shown "live" on NBC that night. No, they probably won't show the 2nd last group on NBC, but they cut the feed at that point during the ice make. But they do release the video a few days later, so you can go back and watch those who get cut by NBC. Same way for Men's and any Pairs/Dance they may show live on NBC. But that's just US Nationals.

I'm really not sure if the GP Events are shown "live" or not as I never watch those live anyway. I always watch them piecemeal whenever I have time to sit and watch. They might not be available until 1 week after the event, but again, at least you have the option to see the entire event and can watch it when you have time.

In 2013, Worlds was available for viewing, but on a one-week delay, so it wasn't live. But at least I had the option to watch it, which otherwise I wouldn't since I don't have US, and that miserable 2-hour total NBC broadcast was sorely lacking in coverage.

I still don't see US on my cable, so right now I don't have to decide. But you are right that $8.99 a month is a lot if you don't want all those other channels you are forced to pay for, and really only want US for skating, and there's the chance they end up cutting stuff. If my system does end up getting US, I'll have to decide what to do as well. But I will definitely keep IceNetwork as long as it exists and make sure I have money set aside to do so. I actually might sign up for that Sports Package if I get the option, simply because I could see myself watching US frequently since they show a lot of Olympic sports like swimming, gymnastics, track, skiing, etc. I'll just cut $10 month out of my grocery budget to make it happen if I have to. It certainly wouldn't hurt my waistline if I did.
    Last edited by BaileyCatts; 09-05-2013 at 05:41 AM.

vCash
    Not sure what you mean about figuring out the geoblock thing? I know IceNetwork only works in the USA and (I think) USA territories. It might be that GP events or Worlds won't be shown "live", but they will be available for viewing. I haven't really read up on that yet. I mostly want it for US Nationals anyway.
    I think that this year Ice Network is showing all their events live. But I think it's only for viewers in the US.

vCash
    Holy crap I just checked my system and I gots Universal Sports! As long as I pay the $8.99 a month for the Sports Package and a dozen other channels I will never watch. Its on channel 314 for me. Hmmmmm ...... what to do now. Maybe I'll wait until January to decide and adjust my budget for the year to make it work and start tracking what I would watch on US if I had it to see if its really gonna be worth it since I am definitely keeping IceNetwork too. Why can't it be on the package I already pay for.

vCash
    Holy crap I just checked my system and I gots Universal Sports! As long as I pay the $8.99 a month for the Sports Package and a dozen other channels I will never watch. Its on channel 314 for me. Hmmmmm ...... what to do now. Maybe I'll wait until January to decide and adjust my budget for the year to make it work and start tracking what I would watch on US if I had it to see if its really gonna be worth it since I am definitely keeping IceNetwork too. Why can't it be on the package I already pay for.
    Yey! I have to say that when I last had US (which was free then), I watched gymnastics and other sports more, and it is the Olympics next year. Hummmm ... what to do, what to do. Wish there was a list of what they will show and when.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterdelight View Post
    Yey! I have to say that when I last had US (which was free then), I watched gymnastics and other sports more, and it is the Olympics next year. Hummmm ... what to do, what to do. Wish there was a list of what they will show and when.
    According to all reports, US does not show the Olympics. They didn't in London anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    According to all reports, US does not show the Olympics. They didn't in London anyway.
    On their website it looks like they do: http://universalsports.com/olympics/

But who knows, it may just look like they do. That's the problem with both IN and US, they advertise things that imply something, then when the events occur, you find out something else or there is some hitch to it. Hard to tell ahead of time what is actually going to be shown and in what way. That's why I'm having a hard time making a decision.

vCash
    I know they cover lots of olympic type sports in the run up to the Olympics. Maybe this time they'll cover some of the actual Olympics too. Maybe you could wait to sign up when you know for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast