Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

vCash

Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

Sochi Olympics will test gay rights
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...mpics/1897021/
    "I love Russia and there is nothing that will change that," Weir said. "I'm a true patriot and spokesperson for their country. It's appalling they can censor their public, but I try to do everything I can. I have been in talks with different LBGT organizations in Russia with how I can help."
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Funnily enough, this was something which crossed my mind just a few days ago.

IIRC, there were many opponents of Beijing 08 because of China's "human rights" record. I've been wondering if Russia's official stance toward homosexuality come under the same scrutiny.

vCash
    It's great that he loves Russia, but the word patriot is a bit weird to use

I have heard about the extreme homophobia in Russia. What's a bit strange is I believe one of their top pop stars is widely believed to be gay.

There's also been controversy for years over the rampant hate crimes by neo-nazi skinhead groups there, specifically targeting Asian students
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 02-07-2013 at 10:36 AM.

vCash
    I am absolutely furious that IOC is letting Russia get away with this. Spineless twats.

vCash
    What the article also doesn't mention is that when Johnny and his husband were in Russia for CoR, they were asked to delay their departure so they could appear on a Russian tv talk show about gay rights/marriage. The show apparently was never allowed to air.

vCash
    My partner and I were so excited to go to Sochi to see our first Winter Olympics, then after vacationing in Phuket with an abundance of Russians (biggest shock of my life) and now their stance on homosexuality, you couldn't pay me enough to step foot on their soil. I'm so sad that Russians on this board seem to be so open minded and understanding, yet obviously the people in power over there are stifling any sense of democratic voice. I've always wanted to ask heterosexuals who are so against homosexuality "If Homosexuality was the norm, would/could you change to fit in with the majority? " Sorry if this is a bit ott, but it affects my life (in a very small way) on an every day basis. Good on you Johnny for bringing this to light.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    My partner and I were so excited to go to Sochi to see our first Winter Olympics, then after vacationing in Phuket with an abundance of Russians (biggest shock of my life) and now their stance on homosexuality, you couldn't pay me enough to step foot on their soil. I'm so sad that Russians on this board seem to be so open minded and understanding, yet obviously the people in power over there are stifling any sense of democratic voice. I've always wanted to ask heterosexuals who are so against homosexuality "If Homosexuality was the norm, would/could you change to fit in with the majority? " Sorry if this is a bit ott, but it affects my life (in a very small way) on an every day basis. Good on you Johnny for bringing this to light.
    Are they? Interestingly, my colleague just returned from Phuket and he told me that Russians are visiting Phuket in droves. He didn't say they were homophobia though I doubt he spoke to them. I will check this out.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I am absolutely furious that IOC is letting Russia get away with this. Spineless twats.
    In 1936, both summer and winter Olympics were held in Nazi Germany. Since then, Olympics have been held in Communist dictatorships 3 times. In each case, it appears the IOC was successful in keeping the gestapo storm-troopers out of the Olympic village. I have read that host governments must make certain assurances before they are granted the games. I seriously doubt there will be any trouble inside the village itself.

vCash
    This is what the LGBT protest looks like in Russia
    a bunch of gays and lesbians who come to protest against the new law. The russian orthodox who make sure to show up there and beat the crap out of them. The police is standing aside and makes sure to arrest the gays/lesbians.
    What a fun place to be gay.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    In 1936, both summer and winter Olympics were held in Nazi Germany. Since then, Olympics have been held in Communist dictatorships 3 times. In each case, it appears the IOC was successful in keeping the gestapo storm-troopers out of the Olympic village. I have read that host governments must make certain assurances before they are granted the games. I seriously doubt there will be any trouble inside the village itself.
    What are you talking about?

In 1936 whilst Hitler has already started to raise some eyebrows worldwide, nobody could predict what would happen three years later.

And yes, Olympics were held in Soviet Block countries before. Back at that time, gay people were discriminated against in the Western countries as much as they were in the Soviet Block ones, so that's not a valid point.

It's not about 'trouble in the Olympic village.'

It's about equality, inclusiveness and human rights.

Gay athletes have it hard enough as it is.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    What are you talking about?

In 1936 whilst Hitler has already started to raise some eyebrows worldwide, nobody could predict what would happen three years later.

And yes, Olympics were held in Soviet Block countries before. Back at that time, gay people were discriminated against in the Western countries as much as they were in the Soviet Block ones, so that's not a valid point.

It's not about 'trouble in the Olympic village.'

It's about equality, inclusiveness and human rights.

Gay athletes have it hard enough as it is.
    The point about Nazi Germany and Communist dictatorships was bigger than just gay rights. Just because the death camps weren't open yet in 1936 didn't mean life was a civil-rights picnic for Jews, gays, gypsies, and especially the handicapped and ill in Nazi Germany. The Germans KNEW the IOC and the rest of the world would have issues because they went to a great deal of trouble to try and cover up the anti-Jewish laws for the duration of the Olympics. As far as the other dictatorships, there's a difference between gays not living openly and rounding up people to send to gulags and reeducation camps and engineered starvation of millions. There were a lot more serious things to object to with the Soviet Bloc (as some of the Soviet bloc countries could have told them.) The IOC has overlooked a LOT of things that were past being "uninclusive" and into being "crimes against humanity" when awarding the games. (The one small props I've given them is they have still resisted the efforts of, IIRC, the UAE to be considered, given that Islamic middle eastern countries would be no picnic for the female OR gay athletes.)

Doesn't mean any of us have to send our tourism dollars Russia's way, though.

vCash
    I agree with (almost) everything you have said.

I just didn't understand the comparison of the current situation to 1936 or Olympics being held in Soviet block countries.

We are in 2013 now and it's not acceptable to allow a country holding the Olympics to discriminate against gay people (or anybody else).

P.S. In the Western countries, it wasn't just a case of 'not living openly'. Being harassed/beaten by the police was commonplace. Which is why Stonewall eventually happened, thank god.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    In this vid, Belita, who participated in the the 1936 Olympics, categorized her experience at that Olympics as one of sheer "Terror" because of the political situation. The comments occur early in the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffxll8MqoMI

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I agree with (almost) everything you have said.

I just didn't understand the comparison of the current situation to 1936 or Olympics being held in Soviet block countries.

We are in 2013 now and it's not acceptable to allow a country holding the Olympics to discriminate against gay people (or anybody else).
    Did you miss where they gave the Games to China? They aren't going to withhold them over discrimination when they're handing them out countries that are still repressive dictatorships with histories of human rights violations. What probably happened is they do NOT want a repeat of '80 and '84 with some of the biggest competitors boycotting (which Russia might well do if they had the games yanked.) Countries who have done vastly more horrible things (and in the case of Russia, unlike Germany, got away with them scot-free) get the Games because the IOC wants as many of the medal contenders there as possible.

vCash
    The IOC has already turned their heads to ignore the human rights issues in Russia. Sad but it's what they do. They would contend (if I read them right) that the games promote mutual understanding and transcend politicis - yes but... One could reasonably argue that we could find human rights violations in almost any country - that's true. That said, Russia's position on gay rights is so shocking when you take a real look at the details of their public actions but the IOC care about that? They don't.

vCash
    One word: BOYCOTT. Countries should start announcing now that they will not participate . There are things more important than the Olympics.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    The IOC doesn't care. Unless enough people don't pay their ticket prices when they go to countries that are completely beyond the pale, they won't start.

Personally I have a lot of other reasons that I wouldn't give Russia a dime. This is one more group of people who undoubtedly feel the same. But it's not like Russia or the IOC cares. All we can do is vote with our wallets.

vCash
    Yeah, it's all about the money I know.

vCash
    If human rights was ever an issue I can't see anyone hosting the Olympics. In some cases, when it pleases certain countries they are brought to our attention (as in the case of Russia).. While in the other cases when like waging two illegal wars and the government does drone attacks, it is not about human rights anymore... the reaction in the forum is more along the line, I did not expect Obama to do this. However, no talk of human rights then...
    Last edited by Domshabfan; 02-07-2013 at 03:49 PM.

vCash
    We could have the Olympics taking part in Scandinavian countries each time.

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast