Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Right, because of restrictions on live broadcast rights by Universal Sports, IIRC. And I don't remember them promising live coverage of anything that they didn't deliver -- technical difficulties and geoblocking aside.

I think the reason they're making a big deal about their coverage this year (and raising the prices?) is that they now have the rights to show more elite events live than they have been able to in the past.

vCash
    ^^^
    I agree.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Even $50 is cheap for all you get. It's less than the price of a ticket to one event to say nothing of travel, hotel etc. Their feed is usually good, no commercials and no worry about viruses. I pay them and am happy to do so. I paid them last year. It wasn't their fault the ISU didn't give them video rights. It really annoys me when people seem to think streaming is free and everybody should have it. It just doesn't work that way.

Everybody in the US may as well start whining now about the Olympic coverage. IN can't show it since NBC has the rights. NBC will show skating during prime time (delayed), but they will not show all of it. They never do. They focus on the top six. They might partner with someone for online streaming. They might not. They didn't in Vancouver. Three cheers for Bulgaria. As I recall we had quite a world wide network finding local feeds for the short programs and the early groups. I don't think I missed a skater that I wanted to see. The best thing about FSU is that there is someone somewhere who finds a feed and shares. People go to a great deal of trouble in figuring out schedules and time zone changes. I expect the same thing to happen again this season.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    ^^^
    This!
    I'm grateful for the coverage provided by Ice Network; and I consider the cost to be reasonable.
    I'm also grateful to all the members here who add to what they offer!

vCash

Olympics Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by rfisher
    The summer Os weren't free unless you were a DirectTV subscriber.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan
    I got the summer Os online as a Comcast subscriber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Me, too. But I wonder if they will be more strict this time around and demand online viewers be US/DirecTV customers. Except NBC plans to televise events on its main network, so why should they care?
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    I don't think that Universal Sports shows much of the olympics. I don't get it anymore so I don't know this for sure.
    Universal Sports will, more likely than not, be part of the mix of those networks showing stuff, even though most of the country doesn't get it.

But the last olympics was covered live online after about 4 or 5 days, with the cooperation and feeds of the BBC! As you all know, the BBC is almost always geoblocked, so I was amazed that the BBC bought into this.

But do you really think that Russia would be doing anything like this, even if they allowed the feeds in their native Russian? I have serious doubts.

------------------

By the way, the World Track and Field championships are currently taking place in Russia and Phil Hersh, among other sports writers, have been talking about how empty the stands are. Wonder if that will carry over to the olympics?

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by momnatur View Post

------------------

By the way, the World Track and Field championships are currently taking place in Russia and Phil Hersh, among other sports writers, have been talking about how empty the stands are. Wonder if that will carry over to the olympics?
    It's the Olympics, so no.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    But do you really think that Russia would be doing anything like this, even if they allowed the feeds in their native Russian? I have serious doubts.
    "The IOC is the owner of the global broadcast rights for the Olympic Games – including broadcasts on television, radio, mobile and internet platforms – and is responsible for allocating Olympic broadcast rights to media companies throughout the world through the negotiation of rights agreements."
    Source: http://www.olympic.org/olympic-broadcasting

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Those are the events I had subscribed for last year, for the $39.95 that was supposed to cover that. They showed hardly anything while it was live. It was pointless to watch after it had appeared on yt. I was disgusted.
    IceNetwork clearly stated ahead of time that they did not have the rights to live stream any of the Grand Prix events besides Skate America. Here's the thread from last year: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...newal-notice-(
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-14-2013 at 12:17 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    It is possible TvTeka has obtained rights to show the Olympics. Their subscription rates are very inexpensive. I think everyone will just have to wait until the games start to know what is possible. As I said, one of the best advantages of FSU is that it is international and lots of people are finding streaming links and will post them. We usually manage to see everything even if it costs a little. I'm not too worried. IN has everything else covered and the Olympics will sort itself out. The Evil Russians aren't going to interfere with the broadcasts.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Am I missing some way of deleting past credit card info on IceNetwork? All I could do was set the current valid one as primary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    "The IOC is the owner of the global broadcast rights for the Olympic Games – including broadcasts on television, radio, mobile and internet platforms – and is responsible for allocating Olympic broadcast rights to media companies throughout the world through the negotiation of rights agreements."
    Source: http://www.olympic.org/olympic-broadcasting

IceNetwork clearly stated ahead of time that they did not have the rights to live stream any of the Grand Prix events besides Skate America. Here's the thread from last year: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...newal-notice-(
    It has taken me a couple of hours to find this, but it was on 1/25/13, in the middle of nationals, that Phil Hersh announced that "Ice Network has acquired rights to all ISU events - more later on practical meaning of that for US skate fans" and "Good news for skate fans: unlike this year, Ice Network will have live streaming of all events that NBC or NBc Spts Network not showing live." I also remember write-ups at both USFSA and IceNetwork. Neither of them are anywhere to be found.

That should help clear up some of the confusion about what might be shown. But I am POSITIVE that Olympic Figure Skating is going to be on NBC somewhere sometime. Maybe TVTeka will come to our rescue.

Funny, just the other day I came across an add-on to FireFox that would allow you to change your isp to something in some other country so that one could get around the geoblocking. Of course, in the US, that is illegal..... so much for that....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Am I missing some way of deleting past credit card info on IceNetwork? All I could do was set the current valid one as primary.
    When I went to IN to check my credit card, my "profile" and my "wallet" pages were both blank. The only option I was presented with was "create new". At least you have a profile. <ha ha>

vCash
    That should help clear up some of the confusion about what might be shown. But I am POSITIVE that Olympic Figure Skating is going to be on NBC somewhere sometime. Maybe TVTeka will come to our rescue.

Funny, just the other day I came across an add-on to FireFox that would allow you to change your isp to something in some other country so that one could get around the geoblocking. Of course, in the US, that is illegal..... so much for that....
    I'm glad that IN will show more events live this year. And I'm hoping that there will be lots of online coverage of the olympics like there was last summer for the summer olympics. And, I've used that Firefox add on to ungeoblock stuff and it only sort of works. It freezes a lot.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    It has taken me a couple of hours to find this, but it was on 1/25/13, in the middle of nationals, that Phil Hersh announced that "Ice Network has acquired rights to all ISU events - more later on practical meaning of that for US skate fans" and "Good news for skate fans: unlike this year, Ice Network will have live streaming of all events that NBC or NBc Spts Network not showing live." I also remember write-ups at both USFSA and IceNetwork. Neither of them are anywhere to be found.
    The USFS press release is here: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48904&type=news
    At the bottom:

2013-14 NBC Broadcast Schedule
    (all times Eastern, subject to change, check local listing)

BROADCAST DATE EVENT TIME (ET)

Oct. 20, 2013 2013 Hilton HHonors Skate America 4-6 p.m.

Jan. 11, 2014 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships 3-6 p.m. & 9-11 p.m.

Jan. 12, 2014 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships 4-6 p.m.

Jan. 18, 2014 2014 Smucker's Skating Spectacular 4-6 p.m.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    The USFS press release is here: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48904&type=news
    At the bottom:

2013-14 NBC Broadcast Schedule
    (all times Eastern, subject to change, check local listing) ...
    Thanks Sylvia!

You're gooooooooooooooooooooood!
    Last edited by momnatur; 08-14-2013 at 04:20 AM. Reason: fix html quote

vCash
    Universal Sports will, more likely than not, be part of the mix of those networks showing stuff, even though most of the country doesn't get it.
    Universal Sports is NOT an NBC network and they did not air any 2012 Olympics coverage. US is a partnership with NBC Sports - they inked a deal to use the NBC branding years ago but that's all.

NBC streamed every hour of every event live from London and it is available to anyone with any cable package that is subscribed to a tier that included MSNBC. They will do the same for Sochi.

For high profile events in London while they showed a live stream on PCs and mobile devices but they did not release the archive for on demand viewing until after the primetime broadcast. For London this was mostly gymnastics, diving, swimming, track and field. The vast majority of events were immediately archived for on demand viewing.

For Sochi my understanding it that it will be the same and I would assume figure skating will be one of those premium events that will not be archived until after the prime time broadcast. But if you are available in the morning/afternoons to watch it live, you will be able to stream every minute of skating live. Yes, every minute!

In regard to IN - I've been a longtime subscriber and it's a fabulous service. The stream has always been high quality and reliable, along with the archives. Last year was not their fault they couldn't show the same number of events. Universal Sports owned the rights and refused to negotiate with IN as part of their tactic to become an exclusive distributor of Olympic events and add leverage to their negotiations with cable, satellite and fiber TV providers. The agreement between the ISU and US ended last year and the ISU and USFS negotiated a new deal that would allow rights for as much streaming as possible on IN again.

Universal Sports has been hard balling the MSO and DBS operators, which is why it is has only available with limited distribution (sports tiers of Direct and Dish and small providers) and you haven't seen deals inked with many of the big cable companies. They did finally ink with TWC so perhaps they are finally breaking in their negotiations.
    Last edited by BreakfastClub; 08-16-2013 at 07:22 PM.

vCash
    Does anyone know if their cable agreement will include Bright House Networks?
    I've been "lobbying" for years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I've been "lobbying" for years.
    And I can tell you that that type of pull marketing tactic is not effective. It's net negative on both the provider and programmer, but it does result in making the providers look bad which is the goal.

vCash
    Why all the griping about IN not showing the Olympics? Just be glad that the GP series is going to be shown live again after last year. In fact we are getting more for the buck then ever before. They are showing 4CC which they never did in the past except for 2012 and Worlds is included in the package unlike 2011 and 2012 when we had to pay extra later on in the season to watch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Me, too. But I wonder if they will be more strict this time around and demand online viewers be US/DirecTV customers. Except NBC plans to televise events on its main network, so why should they care?
    They were strict during London 2012 - you had to already be a cable or satellite subscriber to access NBC's online content. You could get a 4 hour (maybe 6hr, I can't recall right now) free pass to watch, but beyond that involved using different emails, browsers and ultimately computers to circumvent and watch.
    According to Charlie Brown, there are three things you can't help but stare at: a babbling brook, a crackling fire and a Zamboni clearing the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Why all the griping about IN not showing the Olympics? Just be glad that the GP series is going to be shown live again after last year. In fact we are getting more for the buck then ever before. They are showing 4CC which they never did in the past except for 2012 and Worlds is included in the package unlike 2011 and 2012 when we had to pay extra later on in the season to watch.
    I am very glad that we're getting more than we did last year.

I think the questions are mainly because people are hoping for live coverage, which we won't have in the US. The very real concern is that it'll be London 2012 all over again....only worse, now it'll be showing events 8-9 hours after they've happened and the results will be all over the internet and practically impossible to avoid. I can hear Brian Williams on NBC Nightly News already....warning us to look away as he gives the results for the events that won't be shown for at least an hour and a half after his broadcast ends. :-/
    According to Charlie Brown, there are three things you can't help but stare at: a babbling brook, a crackling fire and a Zamboni clearing the ice.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast