Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Richard Dornbush seems to have confirmed his participation as well by promoting the show on Facebook saying to see him and "other awesome skaters".

vCash
    Oh, nice cast. I'd love to see Liza Kulik! Hate having to miss this.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    MIke's still adding to the list as skaters let him know they can make it. Confirmed skaters are up on his website. (pretty much the list I posted here) Dornbush not listed there - yet.... also didn't see Jeremy Barret - yet.... more to come!

vCash
    I am thrilled that Mike continues this foundation. There are very few retired elite skaters who have given back to the sport in the way that Mike has thru the creation of his foundation. He knows that it is a struggle to pay for skating, and there is no chance that it will ever get less expensive, but the fact that he understands and appreciates the financial responsibility and toll that it can take on a family to help their athlete achieve their goals... to Mike and his volunteers for making this happen each year!

vCash
    B. Cooper - I join you in a enthusiastic round of applause for Michael, Lisa, Mike's family, all the sponsors and volunteers who have sustained this wonderful effort to support eligible skaters. In a world in which so much is not good or not all good, this Foundation and their work is ALL GOOD! Bravo.

vCash
    Ilia's name doesn't seem to be listed on the website...I think (but not 100% sure) that he was listed before. Are he and Liza still participating in the show?

I'd like to go but probably won't know if I'll be able to until closer to the date. Are there typically still on ice seats (or good seats in general) available last minute?

vCash
    Kulik must have been removed (he was there before)...also, I saw another name there earlier that has since been taken off (think it was some regional skater).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    B. Cooper - I join you in a enthusiastic round of applause for Michael, Lisa, Mike's family, all the sponsors and volunteers who have sustained this wonderful effort to support eligible skaters. In a world in which so much is not good or not all good, this Foundation and their work is ALL GOOD! Bravo.
    Willowway....what other former elite skaters have made similar efforts like the Weiss family? Nic and his sister Tricia LaRoche help fund skaters thru their foundation, US Athletic Foundation. But, off the top of my head, I do not recall another elite (retired) skater(s) who is active in a similar role. :-(

vCash
    I will check about Kulik and get updated info ASAP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    Willowway....what other former elite skaters have made similar efforts like the Weiss family? Nic and his sister Tricia LaRoche help fund skaters thru their foundation, US Athletic Foundation. But, off the top of my head, I do not recall another elite (retired) skater(s) who is active in a similar role. :-(
    There are certainly generous skaters who have done terrific fundraisers for specific causes (conquering cancer and other good objectives) some of those year after year and others, as you've mentioned, who have made contributions to the USFSA or other athletic foundations but I feel safe in saying that no family (all the Weisses!) has done it with such consistency over time and given so much directly to the students who need financial support. Their efforts have only grown over the years and they have taken on the year-round work of managing this effort, as far as I can see, as an integral part of their year, every year. Not just a few nice parties and see ya some day...this one's for real. I expect that it will continue to grow and hope that one day Michael and Lisa can take a more major role in fundraising in this sport in general - they know the right way to do it and have learned from the bottom up.

What impresses me most is that they have stuck to their objective of getting maximum dollars into scholarship hands. As the project grows over the years it would be very easy to take a larger and larger percentage of funds for production, etc. But they continue to put the hard work into keeping the costs down so that the dollars wind up where they belong. That's commitment and it doesn't happen very often in fund-raising. It's very easy to get complacent and let more funds go into areas that take time to produce cheap - but they keep their eyes on the prize and the money appears to arrive where it does the most good. I respect that.
    Last edited by Willowway; 08-21-2013 at 03:16 AM.

vCash
    [/QUOTE]
    I'd like to go but probably won't know if I'll be able to until closer to the date. Are there typically still on ice seats (or good seats in general) available last minute?[/QUOTE]

We normally sell out of on-ice seats (although there are typically some un-occupied ones on show day). We will still be selling tickets right up to showtime, so if you do have to wait until late, it doesn't hurt to ask! This is because folks generously pay for the seat and then for some reason aren't able to attend. Apparently they happily just consider it a donation to a very good cause.

For on-ice seating - be sure to print out a copy of your ticket and bring that with you to the rink. Think of it like a boarding pass on an airplane I'm in charge of on-ice seating and I will be checking for those tickets!

Honestly - all the seats are great - better than if you go to a big venue like "Stars on Ice" because of the intimate nature of the rink - everything seems up close and personal - even the bleacher seats.

vCash
    Quick up date on performers - Liza Kulik has a competition, and Ilia is coaching her and others for it, which means they won't be making it to the show
    Mike is still working hard on getting more big ticket performers.

Recently added local talent - The Next ICE AGE. I believe there will also be a synchro team performing (there generally is every year).

vCash
    Just added:

Michal Brezina
    Dan Hollander
    Krystal Edwards
    Luca & Gigi Becker

vCash
    Thanks for the update...it's true though, the show has attracted decent star power in previous years.

After the USFS camp this week I figure the list will grow.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    What impresses me most is that they have stuck to their objective of getting maximum dollars into scholarship hands. As the project grows over the years it would be very easy to take a larger and larger percentage of funds for production, etc. But they continue to put the hard work into keeping the costs down so that the dollars wind up where they belong. That's commitment and it doesn't happen very often in fund-raising. It's very easy to get complacent and let more funds go into areas that take time to produce cheap - but they keep their eyes on the prize and the money appears to arrive where it does the most good. I respect that.
    These are points that you don't hear enough about. It takes a lot of work from a lot of hands - volunteers all - to pull this show off and keep the costs down. Kudos to all of you who are involved in this project.

vCash
    Thanks so much for the update, lostnfound!

vCash
    Just added to list of performers - Ice Dancers Ginna Hoptman & Pasha Filchenkov

vCash
    Just added to the list of performers - Vincent Zhou!!!! Awesome

vCash
    and......now Vincent Zhou not on the list...... not sure what happened. I know Mike is working like a demon to put this event together and get performers. The statement on Michael Weiss's website does say "cast subject to change". I'll keep you guys informed as soon as anything comes up! Still an awesome list of performers, including both champions and some up-and-comers. Gonna be a GREAT show!

vCash
    It's always a great show and a wonderful cause. Alas, being a non-driver living in downtown DC, I would have preferred Kettler but I understand the need to switch venues to keep expenses down.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast