Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Just checked in with Mike - he said that there are still on-ice seating tickets available http://www.michaelweiss.org. If you are within driving distance to Baltimore/D.C. or willing/able to fly in this is a Not-to-be missed show!

vCash
    Hope this event is a big success. It is so admirable to see Michael Weiss helping to support up and coming skaters.

vCash
    Are there any reports on the show? Michael Weiss is so generous with his contribution and support to the skaters!

vCash
    Group photo tweeted by @BrianBoitano:
    The 2013 #icechampionslive gang! @MichaelWeiss2 @Adaripp @brezinamichal @RyanSBradley http://pic.twitter.com/4pOmyQK0oM
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kre56 View Post
    Are there any reports on the show? Michael Weiss is so generous with his contribution and support to the skaters!
    Just got back from the show...it was great...took lots of photos, will take weeks to get through them all

Surprise of the day: Paul Wylie made an appearance near the end.

vCash
    Just back from the show! Another great event. The skaters were awesome as always, and everyone I talked to seemed to genuinely have a good time. Thanks to everyone here at FSU for all your kind comments leading up to the show. I have passed many of them on to Michael - he said to be sure and share how much he appreciates everyone's support for the Foundation

vCash
    I went - it was a really great show. Some of the current skaters, like Adam and Richard (especially), both looked to be in pretty great shape.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Just got back from the show...it was great...took lots of photos, will take weeks to get through them all

Aw MAN, of course he was there the year I couldn't go!!!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Adam skated to Carmen, his SP this season.
    It was intense and very nicely done.

http://twitpic.com/ddojnm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Aw MAN, of course he was there the year I couldn't go!!!
    Paul was at the rink yesterday and today, doing a seminar for The Gardens FSC. Kind of strange planning to have 2 major events the same day, but at least the parking lot's pretty big. Based on some comments about needing to move the show on short notice, I'm guessing the seminar was planned before the show....but no problems. Paul came out at the end, explained he was there for a seminar, said a few nice words about Michael and his foundation, and then skated around for about a min and did a fast scratch spin at center ice.

This was the first year I attended and so glad I had the chance to go. I hope it stays at The Gardens, but I imagine Michael and the crew would like to move it back to No VA.

I didn't take notes, so going off memory....

Local skater Krystal Edwards (Intermediate level?) - Are You Ready For This? Very high energy. I've never seen her skate but will keep an eye on her.

The Next Ice Age (ice theater group headquartered at The Gardens) - Neil Diamond song (sorry, blanking on the name)

Sierra Vanetta - skater from No. CA (not sure of level - Intermediate?), I believe she skated to Yellow River Concerto, not sure

Gigi and Luca Becker - train locally in the Wheaton group, did their Novice FD - Bee Gees medley

Michal Brezina - a Victor Petrenko-ish number , some jazzy number with a hat, jacket, and chair at center ice, had a scary-looking fall on a waxel at the beginning, but came back to land a 3flip and I think another triple

Hoptman/Filchenkov - sounds like they also train with the Wheaton crew now - did what I assume is their SD, jazzy fast song, then Fever, then fast song again

Dan Hollander - dressed as a cheerleader, with dress and pom-poms, Oh Mickey, Holloback Girl, and one other song I'm blanking on, did a few double jumps and a back flip

Michael Weiss skated to a song sung by his daughter Annie Mae. She was on a platform on the middle of the ice that was carried on and off by Ryan Bradley and John Kerr. I saw her walking around the lobby before the show - I remember when she was a tiny girl on the shuttle bus at Nats with her mom...gosh, I feel old, lol

Ricky Dornbush - slow, ballad-ish song by male vocalist, did a 3Lo out of a hydroblade, a Rippon lutz, another triple, and a backflip. Great in-between moves. Looks in great shape.

Jeremy Barrett/Natalia Zaitseva - adagio-type pair program. Glee version of Don't Stop Believing. Some lifts, a headbanger (which I think scared the woman sitting next to me), one move that starts out as a platter lift and ends with her being swung around on Jeremy's head. Looked like they were having a great time and the crowd loved them.

Adam Rippon - as YukiNieve said, he did his SP. Rippon 3Z, 3F-2T, 2A. Presumably the axel and combo will be upgraded for competition, but he presented the program well and looked like he was enjoying himself.

Kimmie Meissner - big crowd reaction before and after. Black Eyed Peas' I've Got a Feeling. 2A and a couple other doubles. Kimmie is now coaching and is a full-time college-student, so she does not train much anymore. She played to the crowd very well and looked like she was having a great time.

Ryan Bradley - blanking on the name of the song but it gets played a lot on the radio (sorry, that's the best I can do!). Did that move where he kicks out and sorta does a single axel. Also a back flip. I think a triple or two?

The Kerrs - did a Scottish-themed number with John in a kilt and Sinead in a plaid dress. A couple moves where Sinead lifted John. Also a lift where Sinead does a handstand on John's knees. Drew lots of applause from crowd.

Davis/Brubaker - Cry to Me. Split 2 twist, throw 3S, some nice lifts, headbanger. Seem to relate well to one another.

Katia Gordeeva - she used to be one of the highlights of SOI each year for me and I've missed her since SOI all but disappeared (fyi, one of the prizes in the silent auction was tickets and backstage tour at 2014 SOI, so perhaps the tour will come back to DC this year?). Skated to a female jazz vocalist's rendition of Feeling Good. Sparkly purple dress, looked amazing. Tried a 2A and fell (but landed 2 in the finale ) and landed a 2Z and 2T. But the best part of her skating is always her stroking and spins and connecting moves.

Capitol Steps - local synchro team, didn't recognize their music...they may be used to practicing in a larger rink, a couple of times their lines got really close to one another

Brian Boitano - Bring Him Home. Gorgeous. Spread eagles, (I think) Tano double lutz. Just really good skating. I could watch him all day. More

Michael Weiss - Blurred Lines. Back flip, breakdancing moves, tornado. I think one or two triples. No twerking, though, thank goodness.

Then Michael came out on the ice with a microphone, thanked everyone, brought out Paul Wylie, then one by one the skaters came out for the finale. Everyone just did a move in the center and they lined up for bows. Michael, Ricky, Dan, and Ryan did backflips in unison.

I didn't go to the reception so maybe someone who did has some stories?

Thank you to Michael and everyone who puts this show together year after year!
    Last edited by Debbie S; 09-16-2013 at 03:00 AM.

vCash
    Thanks for the review, sounds like a great show!

vCash
    LOVED the show! BTW, The Next Ice Age skated to Jonathon Livingston Seagull. I went with friends whose daughter was on the Synchro team - the team just started that program 3 weeks ago, so they were nervous. They are coached by Marge Weiss. I just enjoyed the whole thing from beginning to end! Sierra Vanetta sat near us after she skated. I agree with the assessment of Dornbush and Rippon. I especially thought that Rippon looked focused.
    ~ Alison

vCash
    It was truly a great show!

A few more impressions:

- Gigi and Luca Becker
    This dance couple is my local favorite. Looking forward to seeing them at higher level!
    http://twitpic.com/ddowwg/full
    http://twitpic.com/ddpg4d/full

- Michal Brezina
    Looked happy after nailing 3A in the finale.
    http://twitpic.com/ddom2u/full

- Richard Dornbush
    Skated to Lovers of the Light
    http://twitpic.com/ddope3

-Ryan Bradley
    http://twitpic.com/ddorey/full

- Kimmie Meissner
    She looks stanningly beautiful.
    http://twitpic.com/ddow6y

- Brian Boitano
    His spread eagle!!
    He got a standing ovation from lots of people.
    http://twitpic.com/ddoypo
    http://twitpic.com/ddpf9j

- Paul Wylie
    http://twitpic.com/ddozr2/full

- Michael Weiss and his beautiful daughter, Annie Mae
    http://twitpic.com/ddpczi/full
    Last edited by YukiNieve; 09-16-2013 at 01:12 PM.

vCash
    The show was terrific, as usual! I gasped when Paul Wylie was introduced, having no idea that he was doing a seminar there this weekend. So nice to meet you, RD! Debbie S., thanks for your detailed review. Love the pics so far, & can't wait to see more!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Thanks for all the pics. So nice to see Kimmie on the ice. She always has such a joy in her skating, and it's great that she can continue to participate in so many worthy projects while she's also in school.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Thanks for the all the reports, much appreciated, especially Davis/Brubaker (sooo anxious to see how they are developing & coming along; can't wait to see a video!).

It's always good to support figure skating by going to local shows, etc., whenever possible. That's what I really like about Rosalynn Sumners, she makes an appearance every once in while and it's still a joy to watch her skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    So nice to meet you, RD!
    It was nice meeting you too! As well as "lostnfound" - good talking to you and great job on another successful show!

I'll try not to be so shy at these shows any more.

I'll see if I can post pics as I edit them...it will be at least 2-3 weeks before I go through all of them...I took pics at both the show and the reception afterward.

vCash
    Lostnfound, not sure if I actually met you/talked to you before/after the show (I did speak to a number of the volunteers), but thanks for always keeping us informed/updated about the show.

vCash
    I was over by the VIP entrance for the on -ice seating during the show, and basically running around like a crazy person before and after getting the on-ice seating set up! So glad to hear all the positive comments about the show. I continue to pass them on to Mike. And yes, we are already talking about next year's event which will be the show's 10th year anniversary. All I can say now is....... keep the 2nd Sunday of September 2014 open.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lostnfound View Post
    And yes, we are already talking about next year's event which will be the show's 10th year anniversary. All I can say now is....... keep the 2nd Sunday of September 2014 open.
    Any chance of it staying at The Gardens?

Thanks for all your hard work!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast