vCash

Skate For Coach Darin Hosier

From US Figure Skating twitter feed late yesterday.....

@USFigureSkating: Skate For Coach Darin Hosier
    Highland Ice Arena
    Shoreline , WA http://t.co/IYuBlxz18z @MichaelWeiss2 @RachaelFlatt

Because this is such a compelling story.....

"Event:
    Come to Highland Ice Arena at 6 pm on July 13th for the "Skate for Coach" ice show benefit directed by Corrie Martin. Even if you cannot attend, please use the donation form above to donate to the cause! The show features:

- Michael Weiss, a two time Olympian, two time World Bronze Medalist and three time National Champion,
    - Rachael Flatt, an Olympian, US National Champion, National Silver Medalist, and World Junior Champion, and
    - Ben Aggosto, a 2006 Olympic Silver Medalist, 4x World Medalist, and the 2004-2008 US Champion

Additionally, we will have many local skaters from the Highland Ice Arena, Castle Ice Arena, Olympicview Ice Arena and Sprinker Ice Arena including including 2010 Novice Ladies pewter medalist, Amanda Hofmann and 2012 US Collegiate Senior Ladies champion and two time Junior International Champion, Chrissy Hughes.

The show is a benefit for Coach Darin Hosier who has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon cancer. Darin's diagnosis is difficult for all who know him. "

Please click on the link above for more information on the benefit show as well as comments from Darin.

Darin was presented the Betty Berens award last night at the annual PSA meeting.

BETTY BERENS AWARD
    Established in memory of Betty who gave unselfishly of her time and talent both on the ice and off. It is presented to a coach who has overcome adversity-physical or emotional-who has continued in dedication and perseverance to serve their profession with dignity and fortitude.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Kudos to all the skaters for donating their talent for such a good cause.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Darin is a fantastic coach, and a wonderful person. This is really sad news about his illness.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I am not familiar with him as a coach, but, what a horrible diagnosis. Many kudos to the skaters donating their time & resources in support of this cause.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    From US Figure Skating twitter feed late yesterday.....

"Event:
    Come to Highland Ice Arena at 6 pm on July 13th for the "Skate for Coach" ice show benefit directed by Corrie Martin.
    Darin was presented the Betty Berens award last night at the annual PSA meeting.

BETTY BERENS AWARD
    Established in memory of Betty who gave unselfishly of her time and talent both on the ice and off. It is presented to a coach who has overcome adversity-physical or emotional-who has continued in dedication and perseverance to serve their profession with dignity and fortitude.
    Michael Weiss tweeted this photo of himself and Darin Hosier with their PSA awards in Chicago on Friday night - Hosier is standing between Weiss and Corrie Martin (in red): http://instagram.com/p/ZwT4FEJplZ/

Martin choreographs many of the programs for Hosier's students -- his most recent Senior lady at Nationals was Chrissy Hughes in 2008 & 2009 (she also won 2 JGP gold medals in the fall of 2007 and the U.S. Collegiate title last summer). I had the opportunity to speak briefly to the three of them at a Pacific Coast Sectionals once, and the dedication to and enthusiasm for skating shone through all of them. Hughes is pictured standing between Hosier and Martin in the middle photo on the Highland Skating Club's site: http://www.highlandskatingclub.org/index.html

It's wonderful to see people coming together to help Hosier out in his time of need and I hope the fundraiser and show are a rousing success!

Hosier's coaching philosophy is included in his coach profile on the Highland SC site:
    I trained with G2C Olympic Coach Audrey Weisiger, Master Rated Coach Kenneth Class and U.S. World Competitor Juli McKinstry. I believe figure skating teaches life lessons, such as time allocation, goal setting, and discpline. I believe in a positive approach to learning, which requires a respectful attitude from my students. I believe it takes a team approach to produce quality skaters and that parents play an integral supportive role in a non-coaching capacity.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I couldn't attend but made a donation on the ticket order page. Wishing Darin well during his treatments.

vCash
    That's great that they're doing this show. I wish I could go but I'll be out of town.

vCash
    A "Coach Darin Hosier Foundation" has been set up to defray the high costs of his cancer treatments: http://forcoach.org/

For those who would like to, but can't, attend the July 13th fundraiser show, there are other ways to help Coach Darin - please check out the site.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Update-Facebook:

Attention All FIABITD Friends. As some of you might know, Darin Hosier, has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon Cancer. His friends, colleagues and students at Highland Ice Arena are staging a benefit with proceeds going to Darin to help defray his medical costs. If you are near Highland Ice Arena on July 13th, go to the benefit and watch some great skating (Michael Weiss and Rachael Flatt). If you can't make it to Washington State, you can still donate via Paypal (see the link for info on donating). Let's all show Darin some love and support and help him fight this!

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/393036

vCash
    This Facebook update doesn't say anything that isn't in the previous posts. Am I missing something?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    From the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SkateForCoachDarinHosier

"That's right, don't miss out: World Champion figure skating legend and US Olympic Gold Medalist Kristi Yamaguchi will be the announcer for the show."

Here's hoping there'll be good attendance this Saturday evening, July 13!

vCash
    My Twitter feed tells me tomorrow night's show is sold out and standing room tickets will be available at the door.

Article about Darin Hosier and his benefit show: http://www.examiner.com/article/skat...-the-community
    Excerpt:
    Darin has been coaching at Highland for over twenty years and has coached elite skaters on national and international levels. Just days after his first surgery he boarded a plane for a major competition, just to be there for his students. He loves the sport and his students and has continued coaching even while receiving treatment.

“It’s part of my therapy. It’s part of my recovery. The more normalcy I have in my life, the better I feel.” Darin explained. Darin loves the process of coaching and comes up with innovative ways to teach his students. Known for being a hard worker with a positive attitude and warm personality, it is no wonder why so many are gathering to raise funds for his treatment.

When asked how he felt about the benefit being put on for him, he said, “It’s surreal, I keep thinking it’s for someone else,” he laughs. Darin explained that he is truly overwhelmed by the amount of support that he has received. He is so grateful for his best friend, Corrie Martin who is directing the benefit, the Highland Skating Club who put together the foundation, the Highland Ice Arena staff for being so supportive and the numerous people that have built webpages, Facebook pages and have contributed in so many ways. Darin seems the most touched by the number of his students who have poured out their love and support for him.
    It is clear through this foundation and this event, that Coach Darin is certainly not fighting this battle alone.
    to everyone involved in organizing this show and raising funds for Coach Darin!

vCash
    Photo on Flatt's FB & tweeted by her: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4&l=7e9b0751cb
    "An honor to be part of a wonderful cast last [Saturday] night at Highland Ice Arena for @Sk84CoachDarin's benefit! So much love! Photo courtesy of Audrey Weisiger." (L to R: Yamaguchi, Agosto, Darin Hosier, Weiss, Flatt, Corrie Martin who directed the show).

@Sk84CoachDarin tweeted:
    "@MichaelWeiss2 @RachaelFlatt @Ben_Agosto @kristiyamaguchi We are so honored to have you all come!! The show was a huge success."

Photo album of the show on Highland Ice Arena's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8395125&type=3

Some impressions from the show, sent to me for posting here:
    She [Flatt] was faster and smooth. Landed 3Loop and 2Ax in both her programs, cleanly the first time.

Weiss landed 2 backflips and was fun to watch.

Agosto skated with a broom, I wonder what Tanith would think? I wasn't a fan of that program but he skated well.

Yamaguchi did a great job commentating. All 4 of them signed posters and took pictures with every single person that wanted, they stayed for hours after the show to meet fans, very impressive of them!

New fundraiser page for Darin Hosier: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fun...undation/72001

ETA follow-up article about the show: http://www.examiner.com/article/skat...ght-of-skating
    Coach Darin still has a long way to go with his treatment and fundraising, yet this benefit raised a significant portion and was truly inspirational. This event made it clear that there are so many who are not only rooting for Coach Darin, but along side him.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-17-2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: to add article link & excerpt

vCash
    Thanks for the links! Looks like it was a great show.

vCash
    Coach Darin | A Documentary by Amir Zahed
    http://vimeo.com/82709573

"Special Thanks:
    Corrie Martin
    Becci Safai
    Highland Ice Arena
    Olympicview Ice Arena
    Castle Ice Arena
    Sprinkler Ice Arena"

IMO, this 10-minute video (with footage before, during, and after the show) really captures Darin Hosier as a caring coach and good-humored human being as well as showing what is most important to him about skating and life.

He shared good news on his FB page yesterday:
    Final treatment in progress! Over the past 17 months -
    2 operations & 20 rounds of chemo.

More importantly, I received the most LOVE and SUPPORT possible to help make my goal
    - "to obliterate cancer from my body" [his last quote in the video linked above] -
    come true.

Reflective...I'm one of the lucky ones.

Xoxo
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-10-2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: To correct typos

vCash
    Thank you for the update, Sylvia! Excellent news!!

vCash
    Thanks for the update, Sylvia. What encouraging news!