View Poll Results: Where would Elena Radionova place if she were able to compete at the 2014 Olympics?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st (Gold)

1 2.78%
  • 2nd (Silver)

0 0%
  • 3rd (Bronze)

1 2.78%
  • 4th

1 2.78%
  • 5th

2 5.56%
  • 6th - 10th

18 50.00%
  • Outside the top 10

7 19.44%
  • Would not make the Russian team

6 16.67%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    Good lord, isn't it enough already? Have you somehow swallowed an old tape and have something stuck on the repeat button? There are already two copies of your usual 'blabla she's still young so what she can do now means nothing blabla'-posts in this thread - if you're so disparaging of these young russian girls, then why do you spent so much time posting abut them? Just leave it alone, it's annoying as hell.
    Yes, people over-hyping those young skaters up to later stardom are annoying and stupid, but people who just dsimiss all of their hard work and good skills are stupid just as much. Elena might not make it through puberty, but that doesn't change the fact of what she's capable of now. And right now, she has a very difficult jumping layout and a much more joyful and whole-hearted presentation than the majority of the senior girls. Nothing wrong with loving her for that.

What an unfair world, I want to be cursed too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    ITA. I'm through getting all excited about the wonder babies before they hit puberty. They can as well be cursed with a body of Gedevanishvili. She was a wonder child once too and look where puberty got her.

Lets see how she does two years from now before we name her the future Olympic champion.
    Nobody is crowning her champion right now, and everybody knows that puberty can change a body, and can impact a career very negatively. It doesn't mean we should not appreciate what she is doing well right now.

vCash
    I hope that ISU would change their rules and would not allow female skaters under 17 to participate in ANY senior competitions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I hope that ISU would change their rules and would not allow female skaters under 17 to participate in ANY senior competitions.
    Oh, noooo! It would be tragedy, in my opinion.

vCash
    17 ???? Isn't that too much for a senior age eligibility

vCash
    YOu are OK with 15-16 year old male skaters competing as seniors but not ladies?

Michelle Kwan had already won the world title at age 15, and a silver medal at age 16. Her career did not begin at age 17.

Your recommendation is grossly unfair and it shows a lack of knowledge of figure skaters, who- like gymnasts- have a very narrow window physically to have a career.

vCash
    I am already excited to see ladies skating of the next quad.
    second Baiul(Radionova) vs second Harding(Gold).

vCash
    For a 14-year old, she seems well-focused. I hope she gain some more power, speed, and height to her jumps, then she'll be on a right track. She's already a phenominal skater for her age. This is what she said after Nebelhorn: Figure skater Radionova tends to ride beautiful as....

Elena Radionova , won a landslide victory in his first senior competition - competition Nebelhorn Trophy in Oberstdorf , said the agency "F-Sport", which seeks to ride as beautiful and confident as Olympic champion and world champion Korean Kim Yu-Na.

"As long as Axel in three and a half times I will not do - Radionova said, responding to a question about whether she's going to continue to complicate the program. - It is better to focus on the triple jump - and ride beautiful as Kim Yu-Na. She jumps triple so beautiful that her axel in three and a half turns is not necessary - it will benefit all of the components.'s what I want to jump like it. were to ease, a beautiful horse and beautiful jumps. If complicate the program, it is only moving the stages of the second half. "

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    YOu are OK with 15-16 year old male skaters competing as seniors but not ladies?

Michelle Kwan had already won the world title at age 15, and a silver medal at age 16. Her career did not begin at age 17.

Your recommendation is grossly unfair and it shows a lack of knowledge of figure skaters, who- like gymnasts- have a very narrow window physically to have a career.
    I'd be interested in pursuing the argument (though I'd make the age universal, not specific to female skaters) and assert we'd need to redefine what the sport is about if that was the case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post

Who knows, maybe the sport would be better off if all skaters past werent allowed to compete at Worlds and Olympics until they were atleast 16. They made the change and seem happy with it. It probably wont change back anytime soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post

she isnt even gonna win any GP medals this season, thats for sure, she'll wait her turn after 2014
    just pcs is not comparable
    Skate America anyone? Oh dear.

vCash
    Regardless of where she would finish at the Olympics, I am sure that Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Leonova, Lipnitskaia, Pogorilaya, Gosviani and any other Russian lady with the potential of making the Olympic team are glad that she is too young to go.

Seriously, what is Russia going to do with all this talent... Proklova, Sotskova, Medvedeva, Sakhanovich, Ogoreltseva, Stavitskaia, Agafonova, Biryukova, Korobeynikova? If they all competed for different countries I would say that most have a shot at having a decent career, but with them all from the same place, so many of them will not get much chances to compete internationally.

Could some of these girls switch to pairs or is finding a decent partner a big struggle?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vmfan89 View Post
    Seriously, what is Russia going to do with all this talent...

Could some of these girls switch to pairs or is finding a decent partner a big struggle?
    They could switch to pairs, but pairs are getting a bit overcrowded too. 5 Russian junior pairs just got into JGPF!

Curiously curious
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat decaro View Post
    For a 14-year old, she seems well-focused. I hope she gain some more power, speed, and height to her jumps, then she'll be on a right track. She's already a phenominal skater for her age. This is what she said after Nebelhorn: Figure skater Radionova tends to ride beautiful as....

Elena Radionova , won a landslide victory in his first senior competition - competition Nebelhorn Trophy in Oberstdorf , said the agency "F-Sport", which seeks to ride as beautiful and confident as Olympic champion and world champion Korean Kim Yu-Na.

"As long as Axel in three and a half times I will not do - Radionova said, responding to a question about whether she's going to continue to complicate the program. - It is better to focus on the triple jump - and ride beautiful as Kim Yu-Na. She jumps triple so beautiful that her axel in three and a half turns is not necessary - it will benefit all of the components.'s what I want to jump like it. were to ease, a beautiful horse and beautiful jumps. If complicate the program, it is only moving the stages of the second half. "
    Thanks, pat decaro, for this find. In recent years, it is increasingly clear, as evidenced in the comments of up-and-coming young skaters, that Yuna is having a significant impact on the way future stars will skate, shaping them in her own image in one aspect or another. One sees it in Gracie's fangirl admiration in the US, and Zijun's hero-worship in China, and now Elena's moony homage in Russia. What is worth noting is that they are the very best young prospects that these disparate countries have to offer.

There is a theory in literary circles that the pantheon of "The Greatest" is a creation of their successors. Not by bystanders or viewers or fans or critics, however impassioned, but by those who will literally follow and practice in their footsteps.

That is to say, greatness is like a chain; Michelle is one of the greatest because there was something, or things, in her skating that subsequent great skaters responded to and were influenced by (in ways both direct and indirect, acknowledged and unacknowledged). Like Yuna Kim, for instance, who used to stand in front of a mirror, performing every move of a Kwan program from memory, possibly even pretending she was Michelle.

Under this theory, how do we know that Yuna is making a strong case for being one of the greatest? Because of Gracie and Zijun and Elena, and the many others who may not be quite so prominent yet, who have begun to incorporate the best aspects of her skating, and eventually, one hopes, will individuate from that point of departure and make those aspects uniquely their own.

The final stage: when those who were influenced by Yuna become champions in their turn, and themselves demonstrate their influence on the generation of skaters that follow, Yuna will become a permanent part of the skating Canon, or so the theory goes.

This post is probably more relevant to a different thread, but your post set off a chain of thoughts. To rein it back in and return, finally, on topic, I will say this: being a very great admirer of Yuna's skating, this borrowed theory gives me yet another reason, in addition to her intrinsic talents, to root for this precocious sprite from Russia.

Go Elena!
    Last edited by Robeye; 11-03-2013 at 10:44 PM.

vCash
    Given today's brilliant performance by Radionova at the NHK Trophy, Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva are extremely fortunate that she is not age eligible to compete at the Olympics. If she were, then Lipnitskaya and Radionova would be automatic picks for the 2 spots by now.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 11-09-2013 at 01:03 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    ITA. I'm through getting all excited about the wonder babies before they hit puberty. They can as well be cursed with a body of Gedevanishvili. She was a wonder child once too and look where puberty got her.

Lets see how she does two years from now before we name her the future Olympic champion.
    I would love to be cursed with Gedevanishvili's body. Anyone know of any "total babe" curses?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    Given today's brilliant performance by Radionova at the NHK Trophy, Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva are extremely fortunate that she is not age eligible to compete at the Olympics. If she were, then Lipnitskaya and Radionova would be automatic picks for the 2 spots by now.
    they should be thanking Radionova 1 spot is still open ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post

she isnt even gonna win any GP medals this season, thats for sure, she'll wait her turn after 2014
    just pcs is not comparable
    NHK Results

FPl. Name Nation Points SP FS
    1 Mao ASADA
    JPN
    207.59 1 1
    2 Elena RADIONOVA
    RUS
    191.81 3 2
    3 Akiko SUZUKI
    JPN
    179.32 2 4
    4 Gracie GOLD
    USA

Um... You were saying?

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post

Actually, she is pretty fantastic. She's got the jumps, presentation and spins. She has things to work on but what 14 year old skater doesn't? I'd say she's well ahead of the curve. The only awful thing here is your comment.
    Well put! Elena is still just a child but she has tons of talent and potential. She's has'nt even begun to show her full potential. Awful Shmawful. Hopefully she'll survive the puberty monster and only get better with age.

vCash
    She has a lot to do with polisihing her technique, but her radiant joy of skating is really lovely to watch. It radiates to the audience, even via tv. That´s why I like her.

vCash
    She needs to do something about that 2axel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast