View Poll Results: Where would Elena Radionova place if she were able to compete at the 2014 Olympics?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st (Gold)

1 2.78%
  • 2nd (Silver)

0 0%
  • 3rd (Bronze)

1 2.78%
  • 4th

1 2.78%
  • 5th

2 5.56%
  • 6th - 10th

18 50.00%
  • Outside the top 10

7 19.44%
  • Would not make the Russian team

6 16.67%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post

Actually, she is pretty fantastic. She's got the jumps, presentation and spins. She has things to work on but what 14 year old skater doesn't? I'd say she's well ahead of the curve. The only awful thing here is your comment.
    i agree...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Let's talk about this girl two years from now when she isn't about 5 feet tall and 75 lbs. Right now she's just another tiny tot from Russia who's a jumping bean but things can change as we've seen from some of the other Russian wonder babies.
    Sure she could turn into another sotnikova or tuktamisheva but maybe she won't!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Sure she could turn into another sotnikova or tuktamisheva but maybe she won't!!
    or into a Michelle Kwan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Yeah, skaters who medalled in the GP and Europeans in their first season are so disappointing!

vCash
    She is super talented but she would not be ready to medal in such a field, either in ability or reputation wise with the judges. She could well be the skater to beat in the next quad though. She is that good.

vCash
    Lets see where Elena is in 18-24 months when she won't look like she's 12 anymore. Either she will have survived puberty and kept her jumps and added speed and power or she's just another wunderkind who didn't survive.

vCash
    To answer the question posed in the title of this thread, "no".

I saw her and her skate for the first time today and I was not impressed. In fact I got up to get lunch in the middle of it, that's how unimpressed I was.

But she's in good company, I felt the same way about the following when they first appeared on the junior scene: Tara, Mao, Mirai, Caroline Z., Bebe, Michelle, and the list goes on & on ad infinitum.

The only one that I ever felt differently about is Oksana Baiul. She was mature beyond her years from the first tiime she stepped on the ice. Never before or since have I felt that way about a skater.

As for all the rest, I prefer them to *ferment* first before they enter the elite level of senior skating, wherein they finally become fine wine... jmho.

vCash
    Whenever I see gushing about Radionova, I immediately want to be a killjoy and point out that Lipnitskaia, Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva were all touted to be future Olympic/World champions. Then came puberty and spoiled the party.

Radionova is great, yes. But she has a body of a pre-pubescent girl at the moment. Tiny, wispy and totally flat. Who knows how she's going to adapt to puberty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Whenever I see gushing about Radionova, I immediately want to be a killjoy and point out that Lipnitskaia, Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva were all touted to be future Olympic/World champions. Then came puberty and spoiled the party.

Radionova is great, yes. But she has a body of a pre-pubescent girl at the moment. Tiny, wispy and totally flat. Who knows how she's going to adapt to puberty.
    While I agree with then general gist of your comment, I'm going to point out that that trio certainly can still compete and win world and Olympic gold medals. Just probably not in six months.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash

I think of Toller Craston going on and on about Cindy Bortz.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Yeah, skaters who medalled in the GP and Europeans in their first season are so disappointing!
    It was very unfortunate what happened to both of them at worlds! That just goes to show the state of Euro ladies that they were second and third at Euros then went to worlds and 9 and 10. Not getting 3 spots for Sochi Olympics which was 100% guarantee. Everyone saw the state of Sotnikova a earlier this month.

vCash

That's true of all the young girls. Nobody is crowning them champions yet, but there is nothing wrong with praising her for what she is doing well right now.

Sotnikova, Tuk, etc. are not exactly duds. They are young ladies working hard to overcome the changes in their bodies. It's too early to write them off, and too early to write off Radionova.

vCash

Elena is much more impressive.

vCash
    Bort's jumping at the 87 World Juniors was actually quite amazing for the time, especialy for a junior skater. Only Ito and on her best days Manley could outjump her in the whole World at the time with a performance like that. Yet a year later at U.S Nationals she was already a massive shadow of what she had been a year earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hH3lLs1WK4

She was never heard from after that. Holly Cook who was nowhere near Bortz as a junior and was 4th at that same World Junior event even flew past her and went on to become a World medalist (incidentally nobody who medaled at those World Juniors even came close to qualifying for a Worlds out of their country, and all were retired soon, while 4th place Cook went on to be the 1990 World bronze medalist).

vCash
    Those of you who dont think Elena would have any chance of a medal at the 2014 Olympics had she competed need to give your heads a shake. Her performances at Nelberhorn on home ice would likely point her over 200 points and with the inconsistent field, except probable gold medalist Yu Na Kim, that could easily be a medal wining score in Sochi. It doesnt matter since she wont be able to compete but she certainly would have had a medal chance. People who say nonsense like she wouldnt be able to beat a clean Asada and clean Kostner for the silver and bronze medals, how likely is it that Kostner and Asada will skate clean? No chance or close to none. So atleast look at in a more realistic way, could Radianova beat them and the rest of the field with the type of errors they are likely to make. The answer is definitely it is possible, not certain, but would have been possible.

For sure the Russians will be upset they cant send her. The girls they will send, whoever they are, dont have a hope to medal. She would have. She is already the best Russian skater and will probably win Russian Nationals this year.

vCash
    123 points for rather smallish jumps and not great speed or ice coverage is rather ridiculous. I'm glad a 4'11 girl with a prepubescent body who's mainly a jumping bean isn't going to be at the Olympics. There is more to skating and i want to see the whole package from a skater who looks and skates like a Senior Lady. Yes she's very talented but puberty and growth spurts could change all that.
    Last edited by Jammers; 09-28-2013 at 11:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    Those of you who dont think Elena would have any chance of a medal at the 2014 Olympics had she competed need to give your heads a shake. Her performances at Nelberhorn on home ice would likely point her over 200 points and with the inconsistent field, except probable gold medalist Yu Na Kim, that could easily be a medal wining score in Sochi. It doesnt matter since she wont be able to compete but she certainly would have had a medal chance. People who say nonsense like she wouldnt be able to beat a clean Asada and clean Kostner for the silver and bronze medals, how likely is it that Kostner and Asada will skate clean? No chance or close to none. So atleast look at in a more realistic way, could Radianova beat them and the rest of the field with the type of errors they are likely to make. The answer is definitely it is possible, not certain, but would have been possible.

For sure the Russians will be upset they cant send her. The girls they will send, whoever they are, dont have a hope to medal. She would have. She is already the best Russian skater and will probably win Russian Nationals this year.
    If she skates like that at the world level, I don't think she will get those high scores. Her PCS will be lower to make room for the more mature skaters. I really want her to develop into a champion, but if she makes the 2014 Olympic team, she will not be even in the top 5, unless most top skaters make multiple mistakes. JMO.

vCash

Julia hasn't even had a eligible Senior career yet. And as for Tukt and Sotnikova, whose to say they won't ever be world or Olympic champions. They are both young. How many skaters actually are first their first season?

And as for not placing higher that was a pretty deep field.

vCash

ITA. I'm through getting all excited about the wonder babies before they hit puberty. They can as well be cursed with a body of Gedevanishvili. She was a wonder child once too and look where puberty got her.

Lets see how she does two years from now before we name her the future Olympic champion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers
    123 points for rather smallish jumps and not great speed or ice coverage is rather ridiculous. I'm glad a 4'11 girl with a prepubescent body who's mainly a jumping bean isn't going to be at the Olympics. There is more to skating and i want to see the whole package from a skater who looks and skates like a Senior Lady. Yes she's very talented but puberty and growth spurts could change all that.
    Good lord, isn't it enough already? Have you somehow swallowed an old tape and have something stuck on the repeat button? There are already two copies of your usual 'blabla she's still young so what she can do now means nothing blabla'-posts in this thread - if you're so disparaging of these young russian girls, then why do you spent so much time posting abut them? Just leave it alone, it's annoying as hell.
    Yes, people over-hyping those young skaters up to later stardom are annoying and stupid, but people who just dsimiss all of their hard work and good skills are stupid just as much. Elena might not make it through puberty, but that doesn't change the fact of what she's capable of now. And right now, she has a very difficult jumping layout and a much more joyful and whole-hearted presentation than the majority of the senior girls. Nothing wrong with loving her for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mia joy
    They can as well be cursed with a body of Gedevanishvili.
    What an unfair world, I want to be cursed too!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast