View Poll Results: Where would Elena Radionova place if she were able to compete at the 2014 Olympics?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st (Gold)

1 2.78%
  • 2nd (Silver)

0 0%
  • 3rd (Bronze)

1 2.78%
  • 4th

1 2.78%
  • 5th

2 5.56%
  • 6th - 10th

18 50.00%
  • Outside the top 10

7 19.44%
  • Would not make the Russian team

6 16.67%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

vCash

If Elena Radionova were able to compete at the 2014 Olympics, would she win a medal?

Back in 2005/06, Mao Asada was able to compete in the Grand Prix, but was not eligible to compete at the Olympics and at the World Championships as she was born 87 days too late. During that season, she beat all of the skaters who would go on to make the podium at the Olympics (Shizuka Arakawa, Sasha Cohen, and Irina Slutskaya), and had she been eligible to compete, she would probably have entered the competition as the favourite.

Elena Radionova is in a similar position to the one Mao was in back in 2005/06. She is eligible to compete in the senior Grand Prix and will be competing at Skate America and in the NHK Trophy. However, she is not eligible to compete at the Olympics (or the World and European Championships) as she was born 6 months 5 days too late. Nevertheless, were she able to compete at the Olympics, where would she place? Would she win a medal or would she even make the Russian team?
    Last edited by Maofan7; 08-08-2013 at 08:43 PM.

vCash
    I voted to 6th-10th, she is too young, but incredible talented!!

vCash
    I don't think she would do that well. I just think if she got all level 4 on non jump elements and did 7 or 8 triples the GOE and PCS wouldn't be enough to even get near a medal!! PCS has changed since Mao days of beating all contenders for 2006 gold. Bottom half of top 10. Zijun Li got 4th in the free skate at 2013 worlds and that was with everything working extremely well with no problems at all so maybe more top 5 but not mathematically close to medaling.

vCash

she isnt even gonna win any GP medals this season, thats for sure, she'll wait her turn after 2014
    just pcs is not comparable

vCash
    I love Elena's spunk and her energy when she skates. She does a great job of listening to her music and she's also a good performer.

However, she is not at the level needed to compete for an Olympic medal...not with Yu-Na, Mao, Carolina, etc. She's just not there yet.

If she makes it past the puberty monster with her jumps still intact, I think she's going to be great in this next quad. But she and the rest of the newer girls will have to wait until after Sochi...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post

she isnt even gonna win any GP medals this season, thats for sure, she'll wait her turn after 2014
    She could win a medal in Skate America. Basically it will be tough for her win a GP medal but it's not for sure she wont. She could be 3rd and 4th or two 4th's but like I said her PCS isn't there to compete. Even Julia Lipnitskaia could not beat Mao when she was doing double or triple the amount of triples Mao was doing! LOL! At this point the only thing Radionova has is jumps and that isn't enough at all. Even if she's complimented on her musicality it's just at 6 and maybe 7.
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 08-08-2013 at 09:32 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post

Why do you think so? Remember Tukt, she won two GP gold in 2011!! For me Elena is better like Tukt was at that time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Why do you think so? Remember Tukt, she won two GP gold in 2011!! For me Elena is better like Tukt was at that time.
    It would be tough for Radionova to do that because she is up against Mao twice! Mao only needs like 2 or 3 triples to win a GP event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    It would be tough for Radionova to do that because she is up against Mao twice! Mao only needs like 2 or 3 triples to win a GP event.
    oh...yes, you are right! But she can win silver... Tukt beat Caro at SC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards
    Mao only needs like 2 or 3 triples to win a GP event.
    Yeah, and of course that is completly independant from how the other girls skate

Personally, I really like Radionova, and I think she's a better skater than Lipnitskaya and potentionally a bigger thread to the senior medals than her. The thing is, when Tuktamysheva won her two gold medals, Yuna wasn't around, Mao wasn't at her best, and Carolina wasn't doing the content she does now. So it will be harder to medal this time around. It doesn't matter much though, I just hope she'll make it through puberty and stay a main contender for the next quad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards
    Mao only needs like 2 or 3 triples to win a GP event.
    Yeah, and of course that is completly independant from how the other girls skate

Personally, I really like Radionova, and I think she's a better skater than Lipnitskaya and potentionally a bigger thread to the senior medals than her. The thing is, when Tuktamysheva won her two gold medals, Yuna wasn't around, Mao wasn't at her best, and Carolina wasn't doing the content she does now. So it will be harder to medal this time around. It doesn't matter much though, I just hope she'll make it through puberty and stay a main contender for the next quad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    oh...yes, you are right! But she can win silver... Tukt beat Caro at SC
    Tuktamisheva did beat kostner in 2011. I think that was pre flip but certain it was pre lutz. And she lost to czisny in teb in the fs. She won events without winning a free skate.

Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post

1- it kind of was! Lipnitskaia was virtually flawless in coc but Suzuki bombed the sp NHK but asada still amazingly placed second in the free skate.

2- kostner and Yuna aren't in the radionova events but Suzuki and Wagner are. Gold too.

vCash
    She is awful.

vCash
    [QUOTE=caseyedwards;3970123

2- kostner and Yuna aren't in the radionova events but Suzuki and Wagner are. Gold too.[/QUOTE]

The GP events will be very interesting, I can't wait..

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    She is awful.
    Awful??????????????? I have always noticed that the figure skating is very-very-very subjective ..

vCash
    New article on Elena Radionova who will shortly be competing at the Nebelhorn Trophy

vCash
    Absolutely not. Her long term potential might be good (although I am not even totally sold on that yet) but she has alot to work at this point to be a very top senior lady. It would have to be the splattiest womens event in Olympic history for her to have come near a medal if had been eligible for Sochi. Not to mention I dont think she would have even made the Russian Olympic team if eligible, especialy with only 2 spots. Now if she tears up the grand prix I might have to eat my words, but as of right now, definitely not.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    She is awful.
    And that is an awful thing to say about a 14 year-old child who cannot possibly be expected to have fully developed her presentation yet.

Is it really necessary to be so unpleasant all the time?
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Let's talk about this girl two years from now when she isn't about 5 feet tall and 75 lbs. Right now she's just another tiny tot from Russia who's a jumping bean but things can change as we've seen from some of the other Russian wonder babies.

vCash
    She is awful.
    Really? She is a young skater with a ton of potential. She may develop into something great or she may fall prey to the puberty monster. We don't know yet. To say that she is "awful" at her young age is downright unfair.

vCash
    She is awful.

Actually, she is pretty fantastic. She's got the jumps, presentation and spins. She has things to work on but what 14 year old skater doesn't? I'd say she's well ahead of the curve. The only awful thing here is your comment.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast