Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    YEAH!
    vCash
    Female pairs skaters seem the least likely to take growth hormones... I would have thought diuretics if anything... that's very interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Female pairs skaters seem the least likely to take growth hormones... I would have thought diuretics if anything... that's very interesting.
    Sorry, I meant growth inhibitors, just couldn`t think of the word in English.
    Cheering for the headcases

vCash
    Rainbow, I think you had it right the first time. Growth inhibitors are usually used to fight cancer. I have never heard of them being used to stop human growth. If I am incorrect, please give a link to an article on using them to stop a person from growing.

vCash
    Well, in this Free Press article it literally translated says growth inhibitors, but I thought it was used synonimously for growth inhibiting hormons.
    Cheering for the headcases

vCash
    Hmm, there were rumors of the (then) Soviet and Romanian gymnastics teams using drugs to make sure their gymnasts would get a delayed menstrual cycle. That, in turn, would mean they have the type of body that's better suited for the sport longer. I think the same built would be good for a pairs skater, wouldn't it?

vCash
    Just a heads up for Canadians who want to watch:

Monday Aug 26 at 12:00AM ET on TSN

The others are all being repeated frequently so I'm sure it'll come on again after that.
    I caught it this afternoon on the PVR but was out so not able to get the notice out. If I find any more Canadian repeats I'll try to pass it on.

vCash
    In case it helps (I don't believe it has been mentioned), you can download a copy of the episode on iTunes as well. The other day, I set my DVR to record the repeat, but for some reason it never recorded. I did a search online, and found out the episode was available for download, but since it's part of the ESPN series, you will need to pay a small fee....I think I paid $2.99 or something. Don't remember.

I know some might not want to pay to see it, but if you do, you can download in a great HD format. I'm glad I watched it, but wish it could have gone for another hour or so. I think there were more topics that could have been explored had there been more time to present them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Hmm, there were rumors of the (then) Soviet and Romanian gymnastics teams using drugs to make sure their gymnasts would get a delayed menstrual cycle. That, in turn, would mean they have the type of body that's better suited for the sport longer. I think the same built would be good for a pairs skater, wouldn't it?

There are drugs that delay the onset of puberty. Normally, these drugs are given to children who are suffering a hormone imbalance that makes them develop way too early. But I've also heard of them being used on prepubescent who identify as transgendered. They start taking the puberty blockers when they're about 11 or 12 years old, which keeps their physical development in a sort of suspended state-- the biological boys' voices don't change and the biological girls don't grow breasts or menstruate. Then when they reach their late teens, they start taking hormones and having surgeries.

Anyhow, I have read speculation that young female skaters and gymnasts have also taken puberty blockers. But I first heard these stories in the mid-to-late 1990s, several years after the fall of the Iron Curtain. I don't know if the drugs would have been around when Katarina was competing. She wasn't one of those 16-year-olds who looks ten, so I am guessing the GDR did not do this to her. And even among the young skaters who stayed small into their late teens, I'm not sure if the stories about puberty blockers were true.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123