Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Jeremy Abbott will skate his short to Lilies of the Valley by Jun Miyake. This music was used in the movie Pina. http://twitpic.com/d9m6kh
    I thought he was skating to "Let yourself Go"? I'm not really sure about the piece from Pina. It doesn't really offer much in terms of light and shade.
    Last edited by casken; 08-22-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Abbott changed his SP; this new one is also choreographed by Robin Cousins, I heard.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quad LUTZ in the SP? Wow that's really ambitious. When I heard he was landing lots of quads, I had assumed 4t or 4s. That's a high risk high reward move putting it in the SP, especially given his past history with the 3a (though that seemed pretty improved last season). I'm so excited for the season to start!

vCash
    Abbott changed his SP; this new one is also choreographed by Robin Cousins, I heard.
    This is a fab choice. Dynamic, modern, suave, and designer cool. A great faster tempo program complement to the Muse FS which is haunting, eloquent and poetic. Cousins would do a fab job with this. This is becoming one of the most exciting Men's program I am most looking forward to this season.

vCash
    I can't believe we didn't get to even see the Irving Berlin short I'm sure it was an absolute masterpiece.

I'm not totally sold on the Lillies of the Valley choice yet. It could be fantastic, but I get a little worried when Jeremy tries to be "edgy" -- in other words, that really awkward "spy" program from last year. Believe me, he's my favorite male skater, but it felt like a caricature.

On the other hand, I don't think he's ever made this sort of decision before, so maybe he is gearing up for this year more than he has before. Perhaps he thought the Irving Berlin program was too similar too his 2011-2012 SP.

vCash
    Jeremy Abbott will skate his short to Lilies of the Valley by Jun Miyake. This music was used in the movie Pina. http://twitpic.com/d9m6kh
    Nice selection by Abbot. I can imagine him skating to this piece. It suits him very well.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    News from Champs Camp, tweeted by @LynnRutherford (link to the Champs Camp news/photos thread):

yeah s/s brought ome nice music into the skating world; will be excited to see abbott with this.

vCash
    A slimmed-down Adam Rippon says his quad Lutz is more & more consistent. He plans it in both his SP & FS. http://twitpic.com/d9ltte
    Aaaaaaaaand there's that Sun-In that Ashley says he's addicted to. . .
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    I'm not totally sold on the Lillies of the Valley choice yet. It could be fantastic, but I get a little worried when Jeremy tries to be "edgy" -- in other words, that really awkward "spy" program from last year. Believe me, he's my favorite male skater, but it felt like a caricature.
    Lillies of the Valley is pretty innoculous and emotionally neutral music. It's a pretty safe bet and poses no risk of misinterpretation. I don't see how it can be remotely "edgy." It's a bit bland without much variation in beat and in melody. For a free skate it might be an issue (and Ingo Steur wisely blended it into other pieces from Pina soundtrack), but for a short program it's fine.

I don't consider the "Spy" program edgy. It was just ill conceived.

vCash
    ^^ What do you mean? Ill-conceived choreographically or musically or both. I thought Jere's Spy sp was great fun and very well executed! I can watch Jeremy A and Jason B forever skate to ANYTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Nice selection by Abbot. I can imagine him skating to this piece. It suits him very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    yeah s/s brought ome nice music into the skating world; will be excited to see abbott with this.
    Thanks for the info, Sylvia. This is the first time I became aware that the S/S program "Pina" is not the name of the actual music they used from the Pina film (also used by Menshov last season -- he did a great job with it too ).

Here's a fun Youtube clip with the Jun Miyake music accompanying various clips of dancers dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je0lFe0MHjU

I can't wait to see what Jeremy does with this music. Jereamazin' is a true dancer, and so is Mr. Robin Cousins.

Hopefully, we still get to see the original sp Jere and Robin worked on at some point, maybe as an exhibition? I wonder what was the thought process behind Jeremy deciding to change his sp selection?
    Last edited by aftershocks; 08-22-2013 at 09:13 PM.

vCash
    Jeremy's Spy program is the only program from him I've ever liked.

vCash
    ^^ Well, it's not the only program of his I've ever liked -- I'm not choosy as I said when it comes to watching Jeremy paint magical images/ memories on ice. But yeah, his Spy program is a lot of fun. Ain't it great that skaters don't ever have to listen to fans' nitty picky advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OpOXBvZYy0

It's hard enough as it is just deciding what music to use and performing choreography under the constraints of CoP, not to mention training and competing. All skaters deserve a Medal of Honor for what they endure for their love of skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    Lillies of the Valley is pretty innoculous and emotionally neutral music. It's a pretty safe bet and poses no risk of misinterpretation. I don't see how it can be remotely "edgy." It's a bit bland without much variation in beat and in melody. For a free skate it might be an issue (and Ingo Steur wisely blended it into other pieces from Pina soundtrack), but for a short program it's fine.

I don't consider the "Spy" program edgy. It was just ill conceived.
    Through abstract find new unique forms can a testament to a great artists/performer. I find Abbott to be among the rare skater that got it.

There may be 1000 black suits made of the same material built to the same size, but what truly makes a designer suit? It is in the detail, the concept and the decision making/ In lesser hands I certainly think it would have been the same old program, e.g Evan Lysacek redo another war horse performance to another famous classical masterworks with its own built in audience and expectations.

In any case I have found Abbott to be a exciting and always interesting skater, who likes to experiment to try something new each season. I am also a huge fan of what Robin Cousins choreographed for Cheltzie Lee's '
    Chez Lez Ye Ye' by Boogalox program (one of my fav back in 2010-11), so I am really looking forward to their collaboration on this one. I would hardly find this a safe choice, but I guess I will reserve my judgement until the SP.

My reading of Abott's spy program wasn't that it was designed to be edgy, but more like that a tongue in cheek lampooning of 80s spy cliches/genre without doing another James Bond. It was designed to be humorous, fun and entertaining more than anything else.

vCash
    In my eyes, any program in which Abbott does more with his arms and upper body than with his legs and feet/skates/edges is a program ill conceived. Unfortunately he's had a string of short programs lately that have taken this approach; "Spy" is the worst. Hopefully this year's short program breaks the trend and shows off his skating skills. In general I find his "fun" programs awkward.

Title-less
    vCash
    I agree that there's more upper body in his last two three years of short programs, Spy being the "worst". It's not bad, but it's not like his 2009 or 2010 program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post

My reading of Abbott's spy program wasn't that it was designed to be edgy, but more like that a tongue in cheek lampooning of 80s spy cliches/genre without doing another James Bond. It was designed to be humorous, fun and entertaining more than anything else.
    That's what I thought as well. Totally tongue in cheek. And I appreciate very much that he's been willing to try out different styles and take some risks. The flamenco SP didn't work for me well in the beginning, for example, but I thought he had really grown into it by the end of the season. So many skaters are willing to do pretty much the same style all the time.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post

On the other hand, I don't think he's ever made this sort of decision before, so maybe he is gearing up for this year more than he has before. Perhaps he thought the Irving Berlin program was too similar too his 2011-2012 SP.
    You mean like changing a program in the summer right before the season starts? He did the same thing in the 09/10 Olympic season. He had originally planned a free skate to "Jupiter" which he debuted just once at a summer competition and scrapped it weeks later for his Saint-Saens Organ Symphony free skate.

Title-less
    vCash
    U.S. figure skaters mostly mum about controversial Russian anti-gay "propaganda" law
    http://www.denverpost.com/olympics/c...-controversial

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    U.S. figure skaters mostly mum about controversial Russian anti-gay "propaganda" law
    http://www.denverpost.com/olympics/c...-controversial
    Ummm, Dear Jeremy, criticizing a law trampling on people's rights is NOT the same as going into a host's home and criticizing the way they decorate ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Well, it's not the only program of his I've ever liked -- I'm not choosy as I said when it comes to watching Jeremy paint magical images/ memories on ice. But yeah, his Spy program is a lot of fun. Ain't it great that skaters don't ever have to listen to fans' nitty picky advice.

It's hard enough as it is just deciding what music to use and performing choreography under the constraints of CoP, not to mention training and competing. All skaters deserve a Medal of Honor for what they endure for their love of skating.
    Love your comments, aftgershocks! As for Jeremy's SP change, not sure about it, but am a Robin Cousins uber, so will probably end up liking it. Hope it serves Jeremy well.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast