Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

vCash
    Before a new thread is started for the 2014-15 season, here's Jason Brown's final blog in his "Jason the dream" series that describes his Nationals & Olympics: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/04/30/73835604

ETA: Brown mentioned getting sized for his Olympic ring during Team USA processing in Munich - Abbott shared a close up photo of the his newly received Olympic ring on his Instagram: http://instagram.com/p/nWM4cRm8F8/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-30-2014 at 08:30 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Kellen Johnson, 2014 U.S. Men's Intermediate Champion, recently wrote a poem for a school assignment sharing his love for figure skating. It was featured on about.com. Kellen is also on Facebook. I don't know a lot about his background but his skating exhibits strong technique (two good-looking 2-axels and 3 triples in his fp) and a budding artistic flair.

http://figureskating.about.com/od/fi...en-Johnson.htm

Kellen's fp is uploaded on his Facebook page and both his sp and fp from U.S. Nats are on YouTube.

Apparently Kellen is moving up to Novice next season. I wish him lots of luck as he continues to develop.

I wonder if he's had other coaches besides Tom Z? Coach Z is an excellent technical coach, but it seems to me that Kellen's passion and elegant grace are all his own! Thumbs-up re the Johnny-style costumes too.

vCash
    Kellen Johnson has uploaded his 2014 Nationals programs on YT.
    Intermediate SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPFXnI0WDZA
    Intermediate FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHQJ2_nf0Gg

IIRC, he spent some time last season being coached by Tammy Gambill. He has a Russian grandmother - one of his earliest videos on his YT channel is from a Russian competition in Rostov-on-Don in 2008 (quite a mane of hair! ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-tJqWNalEU

His "Winter" by Bond at the age of 8 at 2009 Skate Detroit (I don't recognize his female and male coaches at the boards): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zXRPqiM66A

I guess it's time to start the U.S. Men's thread for 2014-15?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Great Sylvia! Wow, a Russian connection as well then. Mayhap the soulful artistry is in Kellen's DNA. He used to work with Tammy G too; I wonder if the coach change is because Tammy has so many top level skaters?

Thanks for the links. I love Kellen's music choices.

vCash
    I just checked online - when Kellen won the 2012 U.S. Juvenile Boys silver medal in December 2011, he was coached by Zakrajsek.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I guess it's time to start the U.S. Men's thread for 2014-15?
    That would be great. It seems to have gone very quiet on the subject lately. I'm very interesting in hearing about any plans to compete from the following: Stephen Carriere, Ricky Dornbush, Alexander Johnson, Keegan Messing, Doug Razzano. I may have missed some retirement announcements.

vCash
    The only possible retirement from competitive skating that I know of at this time (ETA: besides Abbott's) is Brandon Mroz's (not yet confirmed) - see my April 15 post in the Mroz thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4240122

Dornbush went to Vancouver in early April to work with Mark Pillay on new choreography. I'm pretty sure all 5 of the men listed above are planning to compete in the coming season.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-31-2014 at 06:57 PM.

vCash
    Ah, aww, I hadn't hear that about Brandon. Tons of talent and potential, but he never found himself or his competitive mojo on the ice. Still, he should be proud of his skating career. I hope he goes on to find fulfilment off the ice and that he is also able to continue contributing to the sport in some way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
    That would be great. It seems to have gone very quiet on the subject lately. I'm very interesting in hearing about any plans to compete from the following: Stephen Carriere, Ricky Dornbush, Alexander Johnson, Keegan Messing, Doug Razzano. I may have missed some retirement announcements.
    Razzano was pretty teary-eyed at Nationals in the K & C after his LP. He skated well, but I thought there was something more to it. He is going to be 26 this year, so there is a chance he will retire.

As stated in this thread, Dornbush is continuing.

vCash
    Razzano article published in April 2014: http://figureskatersonline.com/news/...uglas-razzano/
    In March, Razzano went on to win silver at the Challenge Cup in the Netherlands. Even though he will not commit to four more years, he will be competing next season and will take it year by year.

vCash
    Very impressed by young Kellen & happy to hear that Razzano will be competing this coming season along with the others mentioned.

vCash
    Jeremy Abbott spoke with the Seattle Figure Skating Examiner blogger at the final Stars on Ice tour stop about what would make him re-consider retirement and his current summer plans: http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...bbott-s-career
    Excerpt:
    After a 20-city Stars on Ice tour, where Jeremy has only been home three days in the past two months, Abbott plans on taking some much needed time off, along with a vacation. He then plans to work with with a choreographer to design a free skate that could either work for ice shows or in a competition.

“I plan to train that [long program] throughout the summer and if I’m improving, if I can get another quad, if I’m consistent and if my body feels stronger than I was even last season then you know, I think I will go for it,” Abbott said. “If I’ve made good improvement and things are looking good, then why not? But if things are just too hard, if I can’t keep up anymore or if I’m kind of backsliding than it’s not worth it for me to do it anymore and I can really put my effort into show skating, because I love to perform more than anything.”
    Joshua Farris was also interviewed by the same blogger at the Seattle SOI tour stop:
    http://www.examiner.com/article/josh...reakout-season
    Excerpt:
    For this upcoming season, Joshua plans to work with Jeffrey Buttle, choreographer for Stars on Ice, for his short program and has decided to keep his free skate to Schindler's List, but will revamp a bit. “I want everybody in the audience to cry and I did not reach that goal, so this next year prepare to bawl your eyes out,” Joshua said with a laugh.
    Also via the article author's Twitter:
    RT @IntoSkating: "@joshDfarris wants to have a happy upbeat short program, I'm excited to see what they come up with."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-31-2014 at 07:36 PM.

vCash
    I will miss Mroz. Always liked him.

Happy Razzano is sticking it out.

If Abbott can get another quad at age 29 more power to him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Jeremy Abbott spoke with the Seattle Figure Skating Examiner blogger at the final Stars on Ice tour stop about what would make him re-consider retirement and his current summer plans: http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...bbott-s-career
    This is becoming mildly ridiculous. So what, he's going to ask for GP assignments and then decide if he wants them or not? Or he's not going to ask for GP assignments then demand the host pick at SkAm if he decides to continue?

For goodness' sake Jeremy you already have a bunch of injuries and the realistic chances of landing a new quad at 29 when you can't even land the old one most of the time are not great.

vCash
    He was, by all reports, pretty solid with a 4sal back when he was still with Tom Z., but for whatever reason they never put it in his programs.

I don't want him risking injury or long-term problems, though. . .
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    He was, by all reports, pretty solid with a 4sal back when he was still with Tom Z., but for whatever reason they never put it in his programs.

He could do 2 quad toes. That way, he wouldn't need a new quad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Precisely. One Plushenko is enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    This is becoming mildly ridiculous. So what, he's going to ask for GP assignments and then decide if he wants them or not? Or he's not going to ask for GP assignments then demand the host pick at SkAm if he decides to continue?

For goodness' sake Jeremy you already have a bunch of injuries and the realistic chances of landing a new quad at 29 when you can't even land the old one most of the time are not great.
    The US wouldn't even have three spots for next year's worlds if it wasn't for Jeremy. If he wants to compete, it's his right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Precisely. One Plushenko is enough.
    Can't really compare them. A) Plushenko has had over a dozen surgeries. Jeremy has not. B) Plushenko has won everything there is in skating, Jeremy has not. He has made it pretty clear he just wants to win a world model, and then leave. He also made it clear that if he doesn't think he skates well this summer, he will retire.

vCash
    Jeremy is the most decorated male American skater of the last quad and he was the only man to skate a long program without deductions or underrotations at the Olympics. He's due a little credit. He's going to have a great career as a show skater and choreographer.

I'm very happy that Josh is keeping Schindler's list.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast