Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

vCash
    In addition, 5 of the men who had Senior Grand Prix assignments also competed in 1 Senior B to prepare for the GP (increased number due to it being the Olympic season?).
    If The Skating Lesson is to be believed, Abbott wanted an International prep before the GP, and was denied. That kind of tells you where he sits in terms of favor. Unless he skates absolutely brilliantly, he won't get the PCS nod to be in the top 2 at Nationals.

Title-less
    vCash
    Afaik Abbottt didnt do a summer comp like the other guys, so no sr B according to the rules that apply to everyone

vCash
    On the issue of transparency I agree with kwanfan1818. The more the better. I can't read their mind but perhaps USFS doesn't have it on the books that Nationals is the only consideration because they don't want to shut out a skater like Michelle Kwan in 2006. Perhaps they should write on the book, "If you are not Michelle Kwan, don't bother."

vCash
    I do think the wiggle room is more to accommodate (but not guarantee spots to) proven world medal-worthy skaters if they have to withdraw from Nationals -- including someone like Meno and Sand, not necessarily a multiple world champ.

When it comes to choices among skaters who do compete at Nationals, they would plan to go with the Nationals results except in very unusual circumstances -- but the wiggle room allows them to accommodate such circumstances if necessary.

At least when they chose Meissner over Hacker, they were choosing a recent world champion. Weir and Abbott didn't have that credential, and the circumstances weren't quite as unusual.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    On the issue of transparency I agree with kwanfan1818. The more the better. I can't read their mind but perhaps USFS doesn't have it on the books that Nationals is the only consideration because they don't want to shut out a skater like Michelle Kwan in 2006. Perhaps they should write on the book, "If you are not Michelle Kwan, don't bother."
    What are y'all talking about? The guideline was published to all USFS members. Anyone can have access to the said guideline. Here is a snippet of the document:

The current U.S. champion in each discipline shall be selected as a team member to the World Team.

B. The remaining team members (depending on how many athletes/teams qualify for each discipline from the previous season’s World Championships) will be determined as follows:

To create a pool of athletes to be considered for selection to the World Team, the International Committee will take into consideration placement, performance (which can include performance data)
    and the competitive field of the events listed below in a priority order for the remaining slots:

1.Most recent U.S. Figure Skating Championships
    2.Most recent Grand Prix Final
    3.Most recent ISU World Figure Skating Championships
    4.Most recent Grand Prix Series Competitions (six events)
    5.Most recent Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
    6.Other Senior International Competitions during the current season
    7.Previous season’s U.S. Figure Skating Championships
    8.Most recent Olympic Games
    9.Most recent World Junior Figure Skating Championships
    10.Most recent Junior Grand Prix Final

The names of the athletes/teams placing 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th at the current U.S.Figure Skating Championships will be automatically placed into the pool of athletes/teams being considered for the remainings lots for the World Team. Consideration will be given to add additional athletes/teams to the pool by reviewing the events above in a priority order
    and adding others due to extenuating circumstances as approved by the International Committee. Discussion on, and the selection of the pool of athletes identified by the international committee, will be limited to the competitions listed above in a priority order.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The 2014 U.S. Olympic figure skating team selection document is linked from this GSD thread that I've bumped up: 2014 Olympic figure skating team selection criteria / published guidelines by country

Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Afaik Abbottt didnt do a summer comp like the other guys, so no sr B according to the rules that apply to everyone
    Abbott did show his programs to judges at the Madison Open in Wisconsin on September 20-21, but the "competition readiness" requirement is 35 days before an international.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-27-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    IIRC I remembered discussion about this from skatefans, and it actually has to do with television rights. Ok, here, found the reference:

http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/rules.shtml#Q10

In the US, the teams for the Olympic games and world championships normally consist of the top finishers from the US national championships. In theory, the selection committee is permitted to deviate from the consecutive order of finish, but in practice about the only time they do so is when a top skater from the previous year is unable to compete at nationals due to injury. (There is actually a legal reason for the loophole in the selection procedure: if the national championships were considered "Olympic trials", the TV rights and revenues would belong to the US Olympic Committee rather than the USFSA.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I do think the wiggle room is more to accommodate (but not guarantee spots to) proven world medal-worthy skaters if they have to withdraw from Nationals -- including someone like Meno and Sand, not necessarily a multiple world champ.

When it comes to choices among skaters who do compete at Nationals, they would plan to go with the Nationals results except in very unusual circumstances -- but the wiggle room allows them to accommodate such circumstances if necessary.

At least when they chose Meissner over Hacker, they were choosing a recent world champion. Weir and Abbott didn't have that credential, and the circumstances weren't quite as unusual.
    I think that sums it all up. I really have nothing else to say on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    What are y'all talking about? The guideline was published to all USFS members. Anyone can have access to the said guideline.
    What we were talking about is, generally, the "wiggle room" in the USFS guideline and specifically the decision to send Ross Miner to Worlds instead of Jeremy Abbott in 2011 and 2013, which some fans think is one of the reasons why we have only 2 spots at the Olympics. (Whether I agree with this opinion is immaterial.)

To my mind gkelly has put the entire discussion to rest. (Whether I agree with or like the guidelines is immaterial.)
    Last edited by Jun Y; 11-27-2013 at 06:05 PM.

vCash
    I think that sums it all up. I really have nothing else to say on this matter.

What we were talking about is, generally, the "wiggle room" in the USFS guideline and specifically the decision to send Ross Miner to Worlds instead of Jeremy Abbott in 2011 and 2013, which some fans think is one of the reasons why we have only 2 spots at the Olympics.

To my mind gkelly has put the entire discussion to rest. (Whether I agree with or like the guidelines is immaterial.)
    Jeremy had his chance to help get the 3rd spot back in 2012 and finished a poor 8th. Most likely in 2011 if he had gone to Worlds the US would still have lost that 3rd spot considering that the other members of that team Ryan Bradley and Dornbush were not going to finish very high and Abbot would have had finish in the top 4 which he has never done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Jeremy had his chance to help get the 3rd spot back in 2012 and finished a poor 8th. Most likely in 2011 if he had gone to Worlds the US would still have lost that 3rd spot considering that the other members of that team Ryan Bradley and Dornbush were not going to finish very high and Abbot would have had finish in the top 4 which he has never done.
    Well, Rippon placed 13th at 2012 Worlds, so there's nothing Abbott could have done to get that 3rd spot back. At least in 2011 and 2013 the third spot could have been earned if he placed high enough (replacing Miner both times).

vCash
    Frankly, there is nothing Abbott could've done in either 2011 or 2012 Worlds to secure a 3d spot for the US: Dornbush finished 9th in 2011. Adding Abbott to the mix above Dornbush would've pushed him down to 10th, meaning Abbott needed to medal for the US to continue having 3 spots into 2012

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...shi-out-of-GPF

Rippon moves up to 1st alternate to GP Final, Brown to 2nd.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Any word/update on whether Evan is the "US man" actually competing at Golden Spin?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Any word/update on whether Evan is the "US man" actually competing at Golden Spin?
    I posted an update in the Lysacek thread last week: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4065590

vCash
    After reading the article on icenetwork.com regarding Lysacek's injury and his age factored into his competitive skating, I will say his situation is
    reminiscent of Kwan, Witt, Boitano, Browning among others who tried to compete past their prime. A face lift is still a face lift, and youth cannot be replaced.
    I hope this is the last we hear of Lysacek's competitive career, respectfully. I believe the fans know before the skater knows, when they should quit. He won DWTS after all!

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I posted an update in the Lysacek thread last week: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4065590

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I started a separate news thread earlier today: Due to injury, Lysacek will not compete in the 2013-14 Olympic season

Michelle Kwan wrote about some of the U.S. men who could make the Olympic team in the second half of her article today ("US Figure Skating has a great core of Olympic hopefuls like Jeremy Abbott, Max Aaron, Adam Rippon, and Jason Brown..."): http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/st...skating-121013

ETA this excerpt by Liz Clarke in the Washington Post:
    Reigning U.S. champion Max Aaron boasts the most technically difficult programs, chocked with quadruple jumps, but his go-for-broke style results in frequent falls.

Others in the mix: Jeremy Abbott, a three-time U.S. champion; Ross Miner, a three-time medalist; Richard Dornbush; and Adam Rippon, who impressed at Skate America in October. Also, 18-year-old Jason Brown of Chicago, is an intriguing possibility. He has yet to master the quad but is a fast rising talent with a knack for energizing audiences and impressing judges with his panache and palpable love of performance.
    Article link is posted in the Max Aaron fan thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4076176
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-11-2013 at 05:45 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scheffie View Post
    After reading the article on icenetwork.com regarding Lysacek's injury and his age factored into his competitive skating, I will say his situation is
    reminiscent of Kwan, Witt, Boitano, Browning among others who tried to compete past their prime. A face lift is still a face lift, and youth cannot be replaced.
    I hope this is the last we hear of Lysacek's competitive career, respectfully. I believe the fans know before the skater knows, when they should quit. He won DWTS after all!
    A face lift is still a face lift?? Anyway, Lysacek came in second on DWTS.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    A face lift is still a face lift?? Anyway, Lysacek came in second on DWTS.
    He was the REAL winner of that season of DWTS...the lady who "won" was a professional dancer.

I think by "a face lift is still a face lift" scheffie meant that getting old is still getting old and there's no getting around it, no matter what you try.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    According to NBCOlympics.com's Nick McCarvel, "7 American men [are] chasing two spots on the Olympic team" (photos of the Grand Prix skaters): http://www.nbcolympics.com/photos/af...ican-men-watch

Sarah Hughes tweeted this video of Max Aaron landing a 4S at today's Legends show rehearsal: http://instagram.com/p/hyp2TRiEIL/
    Aaron and Rippon are performing tonight in New Jersey. I hope Miner is recovering okay from his ankle sprain last month (he was originally scheduled to appear in the show tonight).

ETA link to a recent blog interview with Stephen Carriere: http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2013...-carriere.html
    Excerpt:
    Q: Looking at this season, what are your ultimate goals for this year? How do you think you have most improved this year specifically?

A: I am looking forward to placing myself in the mix this year. In 2010, I was nowhere near, physically and emotionally, the position of being in the running for a spot on the Olympic team. Competing in the summer, and skating fairly well in Salt Lake helped boost my motivation to fight for myself more. It will be hard, but it’s exciting.

Q: You've skated to such a wide range of music throughout your career - everything from Louis Armstrong to classical music, film scores, The Pink Panther and Elvis Presley. Taking into account all of the competitive and exhibition programs you’ve ever skated, what are/were your favourites?

A: Each year I normally say this year’s program is my favourite, and I will say the same for my short and long this season but for much different reasons. When I contacted David [Wilson] and Tanith, I had a pretty concrete idea of what I wanted to do, but both of them added the expertise I sought them for and completely put new spins on the music I originally planned. For that, I really enjoyed creating the programs with them and I enjoy training them every day.
    Carriere's programs this season are Scheherazade (SP) and Don Quixote (FS).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-11-2013 at 07:18 PM.

vCash
    Would love to see Jeremy and Adam make it. Anything could happen, though, with ANY of the contenders!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast