Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

vCash
    I really hope NBC jumps on the Jason Brown bandwagon. I was really disappointed with Sandra/Scott's Skate America commentary during his LP-- I found it very condescending; they repeatedly mentioned that he was just "so excited to be here" and how magical your first Grand Prix is and how he DIDN'T HAVE THE QUAD. Nevermind that he scored an 83 in the SP without one. But if NBC played it right, I think Jason could be a big star and if he makes it to Sochi, I feel like Americans would eat that kid up. He could become an overnight sensation-- he's so earnest and relateable and that's even before you fall in love with his skating. I hope the Nationals commentary isn't all QUAD QUAD QUAD MAX AARON THREE QUADS QUAD with zero mention of spin levels or transitions, but I won't hold my breath.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I really hope NBC jumps on the Jason Brown bandwagon.
    Me too. I'm on the Jason Brown bandwagon myself. Have enjoyed his skating for a while, and this year's program is one of the reasons I love skating. Thanks, Sylvia, for posting his TEB program.
    Aside from his skating, I just love his enthusiasm and positive attitude; you can tell he really loves skating.

Hmm...This is making me rethink my decision to not attend Boston Nationals!

I am also a Jeremy and Adam fan. I wish there were three spots. I hope that 2 of these 3 are on the team.

vCash
    I have to say I've been on the Jason Brown band wagon since he was a juvenile. I'm so proud of Jason now, I can't wait to see him skate for Nationals. Wishing
    Jason the best all through his skating career. I love Rohene Ward's choreography, and it fits Jason's pure lines so well. Good luck to you Jason!!

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    Me too. I'm on the Jason Brown bandwagon myself. Have enjoyed his skating for a while, and this year's program is one of the reasons I love skating. Thanks, Sylvia, for posting his TEB program.
    Aside from his skating, I just love his enthusiasm and positive attitude; you can tell he really loves skating.

Hmm...This is making me rethink my decision to not attend Boston Nationals!

I am also a Jeremy and Adam fan. I wish there were three spots. I hope that 2 of these 3 are on the team.

vCash
    I'm surprised more skaters haven't yet gone to Rohene Ward for choreography. It obviously works very well for Jason. His programs are some of the best pretty much every year, this year especially.

(I'm also loving Adam's FS choreographed by Dickson. I was getting some definite Matt Savoie vibes from him last week).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    I'm surprised more skaters haven't yet gone to Rohene Ward for choreography. It obviously works very well for Jason. His programs are some of the best pretty much every year, this year especially.
    I wonder if Rohene is being very selective with the skaters he choreographs for. After all, he's still doing shows and stuff, so he's got his own career in that regard to look after, and may not have the time to do dozens of skaters. And for that matter, maybe not everyone would spark his muse the way Jason does.

(I have to admit my brain came up with a Gachinski/Ward combination and then nearly melted down. I'd like to see that.)

vCash
    Most of the time Rohene wasn't even able to fully execute a Rohene Ward program -- I'm not sure how many skaters have the capacity to do so -- Brown, Abbott, Chan, Takahashi?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    (I have to admit my brain came up with a Gachinski/Ward combination and then nearly melted down. I'd like to see that.)
    Gachinski has fairly simple programs this season and can't execute them at all, so I'd say that would not look great...

Pie in the sky, but I hope Jason makes it onto the Olympic team - or if not, that he goes to Worlds or Four Continents. Adam is making the strongest argument for the Olympic team and i really hope he keeps it together at Nationals. It would be a shame to keep him home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valyrian View Post
    Adam is making the strongest argument for the Olympic team and i really hope he keeps it together at Nationals. It would be a shame to keep him home.
    Jason has the highest score, so it could be said that he's made the strongest argument.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Most of the time Rohene wasn't even able to fully execute a Rohene Ward program -- I'm not sure how many skaters have the capacity to do so -- Brown, Abbott, Chan, Takahashi?
    Exactly.
    I'd love to see Rohene Ward being used more as a choreographer- the programs he's done for Jason over the years are phenomenal. But I gather a lot depends on one's willingness to adapt to other skaters' style and to compromise. Is Ward prepared to do that, or would he rather skate himself and choreograph for somebody who can realize his every idea? ( I always thought that's why Dickson has fewer people going to him than Nichol or Wilson, though he is just as amazing- more in my opinion, actually. His desire and ability to alter his vision to accomodate others is not very strong, from what I've read). I'd love to know. I've listened and read Ward's interviews, but I either forgot that point, or is was not addressed.
    Last edited by dinakt; 11-17-2013 at 08:20 PM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Maybe part of why Rohene Ward is not choreographing much is his absence. He's been touring with shows for the past few years and never around to build a client base. I don't think he's even attached to any particular skating club.
    Last edited by Jun Y; 11-17-2013 at 07:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    I was just thinking that if Brown can get 85 without one, Abbott should be able to pull a few points better than that and be near 90.

The team needs to be two of Abbott, Rippon, Brown. They are clearly our best three skaters.

Watch it be Aaron and Miner though.
    Indeed. Jeremy has pulled a lot of mid-80s scores in SPs without a quad. OF course then, you can't go a whole lot higher than that without a quad, so I guess that's why he's risking it this year.

Gawd, if the US men's team is Aaron and Miner. . . . quelle horreur!!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I don't mind Max. When watching him live, his charisma really shines. So if he can go clean or nearly clean, I have no problem with him on the team.

vCash
    I agree if Max has pulled his progrms together there is no reason not to send him. His world finish shows int. judges will reward him if he skates well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I agree if Max has pulled his progrms together there is no reason not to send him. His world finish shows int. judges will reward him if he skates well.
    Let's say he skates a poor SP or LP in the team event; he has no PCS or element levels to keep his score from diving. It's a high risk, high reward situation.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Re-posting (from the joint Joshua/Jason über thread in the Trash Can) this new Josh Farris article ahead of his second Grand Prix in Moscow next week: http://www.examiner.com/article/excl...ns-on-the-rise
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Let's say he skates a poor SP or LP in the team event; he has no PCS or element levels to keep his score from diving. It's a high risk, high reward situation.
    So is sending pretty much anyone else. The US is not Japan. No one is consistently high scoring. Jason and Josh are unproven, Jeremy a headcase. And Ross falls apart a lot and doesn't get high pcs. Adam has had melt downs too. No one has consistent quads.

IMO there is no front runner. Hopefully fair judging will decide it. They all need to skate well at nationals.

vCash
    Agree with this. Was NOT a good thing for his PCS to have no support and to be in the 6s at NHK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    So is sending pretty much anyone else. The US is not Japan. No one is consistently high scoring. Jason and Josh are unproven, Jeremy a headcase. And Ross falls apart a lot and doesn't get high pcs. Adam has had melt downs too. No one has consistent quads.

IMO there is no front runner. Hopefully fair judging will decide it. They all need to skate well at nationals.
    To me, the PCS tell me that Abbott, Rippon, and Brown are the front runners to the international judges.

But the USFSA loves "teh qaud" and having men skaters they can compare to hockey players, or any other sport that isn't figure skating, so Aaron for sure will be the frontrunner.

vCash
    But the USFSA loves "teh qaud" and having men skaters they can compare to hockey players, or any other sport that isn't figure skating, so Aaron for sure will be the frontrunner.
    Did you just dream this up? Or do you think you are speaking on behalf of USFSA? Or do you think Scott Hamilton is the voice of USFSA?

vCash
    To me, the PCS tell me that Abbott, Rippon, and Brown are the front runners to the international judges.

I agree with this. If Farris skates well in Russia I would throw him in the mix too as he also tends to get good PCS.

In contrast, Aaron's PCS is really quite weak, no less for a supposedly top US man. He needs to be quite clean for his programs to have impact and that hasn't happened so far this season, thus the low scores. And even when he hits his elements, like at Worlds, his individual PCS maxes at mid 7s and are usually just low 7s.

Still, I strongly believe Aaron is closest to being a lock and will be named to the team in a second if he skates even half way decently.

Here is why:

1. he has the most consistent quad out of all US men

2. he has high TES potential

3. he skates macho

4. he is the only man since Lysacek who could carry forward a strong Nationals into a strong Worlds. Abbott couldn't in 2010, Bradley, Dornbush and Miner couldn't in 2011, Abbott and Rippon couldn't in 2012, Miner couldn't in 2013. He is going to be seen as very reliable in USFS's eyes, much like Flatt back in 2009/10.

The other spot is for Abbott, Rippon, Brown and Farris to fight over. (no, I don't think Lysacek will be relevant, nor Miner or Dornbush)

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast