Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Senior men's scores (160+) from summer competitions known to date (any Senior B or JGP assignment included):

242.29 Jason Brown (Glacier Falls) - Nebelhorn Trophy
    222.65 Max Aaron (Vail Invitational) - Salt Lake Sr. B
    214.75 Grant Hochstein (Skate Detroit)
    213.09 Richard Dornbush (Glacier Falls)
    212.28 Shotaro Omori (Glacier Falls) - JGP Slovakia
    210.06 Vincent Zhou (Glacier Falls)
    208.73 Stephen Carriere (Boston Open exh.) - Salt Lake
    200.07 Keegan Messing (Seattle Ice Fest exh.)
    190.88 Timothy Dolensky (Skate Detroit)
    181.97 Brandon Mroz (Glacier Falls)
    177.08 Douglas Razzano (Glacier Falls)
    175.41 Joshua Farris (Vail Invitational) - Salt Lake
    166.79 Lukas Kaugars (Vail Invitational)
    163.02 Scott Dyer (Glacier Falls)
    160.14 Philip Warren (LA Open)

Ross Miner scored 76.09 in his SP at Cranberry Open but I don't know his exact FS score (131 or 133, according to ioana's post in Kiss and Cry) - he would be ranked either above or below Carriere. Miner is assigned to Ondrej Nepela.

Senior B competitions still to be assigned: Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 4-6), Cup of Nice (Oct. 23-27), Ice Challenge in Austria (Nov. 19-24).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-24-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Junior Men's scores (139+) from summer competitions known to date (JGP assignment included):

192.88 *Nathan Chen (Glacier Falls) - JGP Mexico
    162.94 *Jordan Moeller (Glacier Falls) - JGP Latvia
    159.72 *Brian Krentz (Liberty) - JGP Poland
    154.31 Patrick Rupp (Liberty)
    146.96 *Spencer Howe (Glacier Falls) - JGP TBA
    145.18 *Tomoki Hiwatashi (Skate Detroit) - JGP Mexico
    144.05 Daniel Kulenkamp (MN State)
    143.86 Chase Belmontes (Santa Fe Skate Fest)
    143.77 Ben Jalovick (Roseville Open)
    141.37 *Nix Phengsy (Glacier Falls) - JGP Slovakia
    139.34 *Jimmy Ma (Liberty) - JGP Latvia

* = listed in USFS' International Selection Pool
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-24-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    U.S. figure skaters mostly mum about controversial Russian anti-gay "propaganda" law
    http://www.denverpost.com/olympics/c...-controversial
    This is hardly fair. Why would they say anything that could jeapordise their career? Abbott may not care because he's at the end of his, but it won't do Farris any favours to piss off the Russians in not only an Olympic season but one where he's assigned Cup of Russia.

vCash
    The article jlai posted was also posted in the Sochi Olympics thread and I've posted a related editorial in there as well: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3979744
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-24-2013 at 04:00 PM.

vCash
    Another article on Ross Miner's "Boston Strong" free skate: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ibute/2694299/
    Excerpt:
    "I was a little hesitant because I didn't want to be someone who was taking advantage of a situation that wasn't good," Miner said. "Then I heard the music and I immediately knew I could connect to it and portray my own feelings."

On Thursday he skated his long program in front of U.S. figure skating officials at Champs Camp, at the World Arena in preparation for the upcoming season.

Miner, who has lived and trained in the city for the last decade, explained the four sections of the piece, which Mitchell choreographed in four days. The first is the calm before the attacks, followed by two crashes in the music. The next section is a "Ken Burns Civil War sound," the slow-motion aftermath and the ensuing confusion, he said. The music changes abruptly for the manhunt, climaxes for the capture and then returns to normalcy.

vCash
    I hope it bombs.

vCash
    ^^ Pun intended?

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    In my eyes, any program in which Abbott does more with his arms and upper body than with his legs and feet/skates/edges is a program ill conceived. Unfortunately he's had a string of short programs lately that have taken this approach; "Spy" is the worst. Hopefully this year's short program breaks the trend and shows off his skating skills. In general I find his "fun" programs awkward.
    Then I wonder what you thought/ think about Plushenko's programs (he has generally tended to use his legs and feet while skating way more than his upper body). It doesn't make Plush a bad skater, just a skater with a different approach that has worked very well for him. Plus Plush has been trying to evolve more with his skating. Unfortunately for Plush, the pounding his body has endured over the years has taken its toll. Still, Plush is IRONMAN in his determination.

Jeremy may sometimes be awkward and goofy off the ice. We all have our awkward moments. Personally, I have never found any of Jeremy Abbott's programs to be awkward. More like graceful, musical, imaginative, compelling, mesmerizing, and masterful. IMO, Jeremy Abbott and Jason Brown are two fantastic figure skaters who always use their entire bodies, not to mention their hearts and their creative imaginations (in concert with their choreographers) in making magic on ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    This is a fab choice. Dynamic, modern, suave, and designer cool. A great faster tempo program complement to the Muse FS which is haunting, eloquent and poetic. Cousins would do a fab job with this. This is becoming one of the most exciting Men's program I am most looking forward to this season.
    So do I. Cousins + Abbott = must be terrific! Although I would have preferred the first music choice since Savchenko/Szolkovy and Menshov just recently skated to Lillies Of The Valley. However, I am excited what the two of them do with that music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post

Personally, I have never found any of Jeremy Abbott's programs to be awkward. More like graceful, musical, imaginative, compelling, mesmerizing, and masterful. IMO, Jeremy Abbott and Jason Brown are two fantastic figure skaters who always use their entire bodies, not to mention their hearts and their creative imaginations (in concert with their choreographers) in making magic on ice.
    ITA! Kudos for trying new things! I personally do like even the SPY and the Flamenco program. Whereas SWING KIDS is my favorite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vocal View Post
    So do I. Cousins + Abbott = must be terrific! Although I would have preferred the first music choice since Savchenko/Szolkovy and Menshov just recently skated to Lillies Of The Valley. However, I am excited what the two of them do with that music.
    A-ha! No wonder this music sound somewhat familiar. It suddenly dawned on me that I actually saw Menshov skating to this live at NRW Trophy last year and remembered being so impressed by him and his music choices. Found them to be very different from what is out there like a welcoming breath of fresh air. It was the first time I saw Menshov (or even heard of this skater) but I remember coming away with a good strong impression thinking why isn't he above Artur Gachinski (which I have also seen live at the world championships but were less impressed with). It really is man and boy. I figured it might be down to some federation politics? I can be wrong though.... I am just another outsider looking in based on a few snap shots of impressions.

Jeremy is one of the most musically interesting skaters out there who has never been afraid to push himself, together Robin who has a strong grasp of conceiving skating program holistically the 6.0 way, I expect nice bit of magic from them this season.

Over use of upper body movement actually doesn't bother in the 'spy' program because it fulfills the creative vision of the program with purpose and not bit of flaff for no other reason than trying to win points or time wasting (ahem.. yes Morozov). Given 'Spy' was designed as a comedic poke of the 80s/90s of excess and silliness. Imagine Madonna being told her 'Vogue' has too much unnecessary hands movements around the face if we are truly to judge it as a dance, then well... it kind of misses the whole point doesn't it.

I suppose the the history, culture and school of thinking around what can be construed as 'good skating' tends to encourage a balanced approach that satisfies within certain parameters of the status norm. I wonder if by adhere to this standard, it mean when things are out of the norm (like too much of something, too little of something) can be considered as 'ill conceived'. If so, it would be discouraging to me as a fan of the artistry of skating, who likes to see more freedom, extremism and experimentation at play, that can push the envelopes even at the risk of failing. There are far too many templates/formulaic programs out there that may falls within the safe parameters of 'expectation' and 'respectability'. So strong are this conservatism, I wonder if IJS have unwittingly prejudice against anything that dares to try something different. Otherwise, how else are you going to explain everyone's choices this Olympic season of tried and tested programs and failing to realize the greatness that is V&M's Carmen last season. At the biggest events, you are suppose to show your best in this unique blend sport and art. Bests these days under the COP are mostly following tried, tested old programs and music genres. No creativity, no imagination. The death of art.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Then I wonder what you thought/ think about Plushenko's programs (he has generally tended to use his legs and feet while skating way more than his upper body). It doesn't make Plush a bad skater, just a skater with a different approach that has worked very well for him. Plus Plush has been trying to evolve more with his skating. Unfortunately for Plush, the pounding his body has endured over the years has taken its toll. Still, Plush is IRONMAN in his determination.
    Since this is a thread about US Men, it would not be appropriate for me to get into a discussion about Plushenko here, but if you want to know what I think about him you can PM me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    I can't believe we didn't get to even see the Irving Berlin short I'm sure it was an absolute masterpiece.
    I'm hoping maybe we'll see it as a show program. Pretty please??? "Satan Takes a Holiday" from Robin Cousins is one of the best ever.

vCash
    Richard Dornbush and Douglas Razzano are assigned to Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 4-6): http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216

vCash
    Looks like the 3A is back, even if he may not compete this season.

Good morning. #DontCryForMeNewJersey @ Ice House Skate Rink http://t.co/d7AtzoUzlV

Quadless
    vCash
    Wheeeeee! for Johnny.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Richard Dornbush and Douglas Razzano are assigned to Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 4-6): http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216
    YAY I hope Richard at least medals and shows what he's got!

vCash
    Speaking of Doug Razzano, he skated his SP at Golden West and scored 73.47 (but -2.00 deductions)

http://allyearfsc.com/wp-content/upl.../09/SEG035.htm

vCash
    Razzano skated to "Clair de Lune" last night and landed 3A, fell on 4T, and his combo in 2nd half was 3T+3T. Maybe the second deduction was for time? (The link to the Golden West live stream is posted in both the TV Alerts and Kiss and Cry forums.)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-01-2013 at 10:43 PM.

vCash
    Razzano skated to "Clair de Lune" last night and landed 3A, fell on 4T, and his combo in 2nd half was 3T+3T. Maybe the second deduction was for time? (The link to the Golden West live stream is posted in both the TV Alerts and Kiss and Cry forums.)
    Don't understand why he always does the 3T+3T. Why not do a 3Z+3T or 3F+3T and get more points?

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Another article on Ross Miner's "Boston Strong" free skate: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ibute/2694299/Excerpt:
    I am interested in seeing this program from Ross because it sounds like it has the potential to be a memorable and powerful program. On the other hand, I have also had very negative reactions to some programs that attempt concepts and fail (some of the Schindler's List programs have that effect on me). If "Boston Strong" was approved at Champs Camp, though, that might be a good sign.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast