Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Fair assessment or not?

Phil Hersh assessed US performance at Worlds and wrote this

my.chicagotribune.com/#section/811/article/p2p-79772188/

While I don't always like or agree with Phil, I find he does make me think. (I am not a Phil hater, although I sometimes feel as though I am alone in that here on FSUNIVERSE)

Fair assessment or not? I think he was more positive than I expected!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I'm not surprised to see that Hersh is already promoting 2 boys (a 14-almost-15-year-old and a 13-year-old) because he's given up on all the other U.S. men except for Jason Brown.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Hersh

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    ^^^ You decided the link wasn't worth posting after reading the article?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    You'd have to be a complete Pollyanna not to see this past worlds for what is was: the worst result in 20 years. Phil may be a lot of things, but a Pollyanna is not one of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    You'd have to be a complete Pollyanna not to see this past worlds for what is was: the worst result in 20 years.
    How was it any worse than last year's?

vCash
    It's very fair and also hopeful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Didn't D/W get a medal last year?
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookslut View Post
    Phil Hersh assessed US performance at Worlds and wrote this

my.chicagotribune.com/#section/811/article/p2p-79772188/

While I don't always like or agree with Phil, I find he does make me think. (I am not a Phil hater, although I sometimes feel as though I am alone in that here on FSUNIVERSE)

Fair assessment or not? I think he was more positive than I expected!
    You are not alone. Some of this articles actually make sense, but since there is no link here (I see that you tried to post it), I have no idea what he wrote in this article.

vCash
    Lets try this link.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...figure-skating

I think it's fair. US skating has lagged behind the top tier countries in recent years. Not sure if interest at the grass roots level is down or what. I know Russia mined its ladies talent and went on a big recruiting mission. US generally doesn't do that with any discipline AFAIK.
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    You are not alone. Some of this articles actually make sense, but since there is no link here (I see that you tried to post it), I have no idea what he wrote in this article.
    There's a URL. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to open the article from it.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Didn't D/W get a medal last year?
    That is true, but the US only earned 3 spots in 2 disciplines; so it seems overall, the program did not do as well (the dancers clearly did better); despite a gold medal.

*Though this year the average placement was 8.6, and last year it was 7.8. However, if you throw out Aldrige/Eaton, who were second alternates and a clear outlier, the average placement was 7.7- a small improvement over last year.
    If you only consider the top 2 competitors per discipline, for both years- this year has an average placement of 7.6, and last year had an average placement of 7.8, with a win. (*numbers rounded to nearest tenth)

So are medals the only thing that makes a year "better" ?
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 04-01-2014 at 08:44 PM.

vCash
    It took less than ten seconds for me to copy OP's link and paste it into my browser. It's not that hard, folks.

vCash
    Me personally? I'd take 3 spots in 2 disciplines + 1 gold vs. 3 spots in 3 disciplines and no gold.
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    how was failure to win a single medal anywhere worse than a gold in ice dance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321
    Yes and no.

Yes, in general, because a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Who would give up a medal for more chances to possibly win a medal next year? Those are some magic beans Jack.

No, specifically to 2013 vs 2014. Who thinks one more spot for an unproven man in a rather lackluster field is better than a gold medal in dance at the worlds just before the olys? Show of hands.
    Last edited by berthesghost; 04-01-2014 at 10:42 PM.

vCash
    Probably the man who gets to attend...

I think the success of a program can be seen in more than just medals. The vast majority of skaters will never get a world medal.

Blergh
    vCash
    Compared to other federations (who have had more success in the past few seasons under IJS), how does the USFS compare with helping with funding and development? I don't have any facts, so I can be totally wrong, but although skaters can receive some funding with certain results, it seems most skaters and their families are on their own. Are most federations like that?

I think it's due to the fact that since most American skaters are responsible for expenses and training and aren't really paid much, that I'm not as hard on them as I would be if say the USFS was paying them a salary (one that is comfortable if not exorbitant) and they were just squandering their given resources.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 04-01-2014 at 11:06 PM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    There's a URL. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to open the article from it.
    I may be stupider than you think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I may be stupider than you think.
    Join the club!
    Cutting and pasting the link, I got one of those pages that let you read one sentence before trying to get you to pay $. Eventually I had to find a link he shared on his twitter account.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Not 'the only thing' for me. But certainly a MAJOR factor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Join the club!
    Cutting and pasting the link, I got one of those pages that let you read one sentence before trying to get you to pay $. Eventually I had to find a link he shared on his twitter account.
    Copying and pasting (not cutting, I think) did not work for me. It only brought me to the Chicago Tribune's front page and I did not want to do further search. Not sure if my employer is watching (I can always justify reading local newspaper )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast