Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTurtles View Post
    :Weren't the Redskins initially called the "Braves?" I wonder if that is a more palatable change for the team and fans?
    Way too Atlanta Braves, plus that name invokes the war chant and tomahawk chop I loathe. Not sure if it is any less offensive.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    OMG! I am ecstatic and have to post this: US Patent office cancelled the trademark on the Redskins name!!!

http://www.wtop.com/109/3645916/Reds...-patent-office
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Not sure if it is any less offensive.
    It at least isn't as much of a slur. But the useage of the image, and the stereotypical chanting and tomahawking, doesn't help at all.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Someone I worked with in DC wanted the Bullets' name changed to the Justice. Think about it - they would play on the Supreme Court and when the ref blew the whistle, all the lawyers in the crowd could stand up and yell, "I object!"
    That would have been awesome!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    OMG! I am ecstatic and have to post this: US Patent office cancelled the trademark on the Redskins name!!!

I saw this earlier today. It certainly puts more pressure on the Redskins organization to change their name. However, I wonder what the repurcussions (sp?) might be? Will they ask the Chicago Blackhawks (NHL) to change their name too? If not, this may seem unfair. I am trying to think of other sports teams that have Native American names.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Many universities and high schools have dropped Native American names and logos in recent years. Native Americans are not mascots so any team using Native American images that way will be under pressure to drop the use of such images, names, and mascots.

We will be happy here in D.C. if we lead the way for pro-sports teams to make the changes.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    The New Orleans Hornets just changed their name. I don't remember to what.
    Pelicans

vCash
    Why is there no uproar over the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks?

vCash
    Because fewer people know about hockey teams?
    Because "Redskins" is disparaging to the entire race, being an ethnic slur, whereas the Blackhawks are named after a singular person: Black Hawk, not a nickname of Indians in general- so the face on the jersey could said to be a caricature of him, not a cartoon of all Indians? (They also use a hawk, not an Indian as their character mascot, which is at least a step in the right direction.)

I think "Chiefs", "Braves", "Indians" are all names the teams might need to rethink, but Redskins is really the worst. The others are at least not derogatory (though the associated images the teams use often are). The complicated history of Native Americans makes the use of these names difficult, but if they'd drop the offensive drawings and actions of their mascots, I don't think a team being the Indians is really any different from them being the Spartans, Fightin' Irish, or the Vikings. These are all groups of people. (The Seminole tribe for instance has a formal relationship with Florida State; because the mascot is used with dignity.)

I've also heard that the Blackhawks organization works cooperatively with Native American organizations. (See here: http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=74904)

And there have been calls for them to change their name. Just not as many as Redskins.

Really, they don't need to change the name- they just need to get rid of the Indian drawing and go with the bird for all their images.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 06-19-2014 at 04:33 PM.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    There is a movement in opposition to all use of Native American names and logos. It has been going on for many years. The "Redskins" name is particularly obviously offensive so the opposition to it has been more successful.

The Native Americans who have led this fight would like to see all use of Native Americans as mascots and nicknames dropped.

I've been asked "why now? "why all of sudden is "Redskins" offensive"? Someone else suggested it was "manufactured" outrage.

Let me tell you, more than 20 years ago, the group of Native Americans who first filed suit against the Washington NFL team name, visited the offices of the anti-racist organization I worked with at the time to talk to us about increasing the effectiveness of their campaign to change the names of all teams that have adopted Native American names as use as nicknames and images as mascots and the like for sports teams. At that time, few people outside of Native American communities had heard how Native Americans feel about this.

It has taken more than twenty years to get to the point we are at today, where the president of the United States has spoken against one team's name. As I noted above many schools have dropped such usages.

Rest assured that there is opposition to every single team name and image and mascot. It takes a long time for a movement like this to reach its goals. It still has a long way to go.

Someone else suggested that changing team names wasn't going to do much to make the world a better place. What this is about is something concrete: in the context of the history of racism and genocide of Native Americans, these names are in and of themselves a painful insult, one that should be finally stopped, once and for all in all instances of it.

Beach Bum
    vCash

Unfortunately, it might not have the desired effect. First, it applies to the name and not the logo. Second, although the federal trademark is useful in stopping goods at the border, the team would still have the ability to enforce exclusivity under common law. Third, there was a similar ruling in 1999, which was struck down on appeal because the plaintiffs did not sue soon enough -- this one might survive because the plaintiffs are age 18 and just got access to the courts. Fourth, Dan Snyder is stubborn SOB. Still, it is a step in increasing the public demand for a name change.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Unfortunately, it might not have the desired effect. First, it applies to the name and not the logo. Second, although the federal trademark is useful in stopping goods at the border, the team would still have the ability to enforce exclusivity under common law. Third, there was a similar ruling in 1999, which was struck down on appeal because the plaintiffs did not sue soon enough -- this one might survive because the plaintiffs are age 18 and just got access to the courts. Fourth, Dan Snyder is stubborn SOB. Still, it is a step in increasing the public demand for a name change.
    Agreed. I don't think the trademark ruling is going to stand but we're at a very different point now with the public understanding of this issue, and the trademark ruling got big media play. Its a step along the way.

Rob, I know you are a big fan. How do you feel about a name change? Is there a name you'd feel good about?

I know some fans are suggesting "Warriors" as the name change and supposedly Snyder has trademarked this but if it was meant to continue the Native American tradition it wouldn't work.

I think that the team needs to keep its colors and adapt to a new name in a way that keeps the same feeling for long time fans. Coming up with something that makes everyone go such as the Wizards name did would be disastrous. My suggestion for a name is "Commanders" as it would sound strong and could be connected to D.C.'s being the Nation's Capital.

Maybe if fans of the team who support a name change could organize behind a particular new name, t hat could push Snyder?

vCash
    Nowadays a lot of teams get sold to other cities so the name is no longer meaningful. New Orleans "Jazz" made sense, Utah "Jazz" did not. It's not that unusual to change team names. Weren't the Hornets originally from some other city? I never knew what significance "Redskins" had to DC anyway.

vCash
    Yeah, many have brought up the issue of whether all Native American references should be stopped and that it's inappropriate to have an ethnic reference as a team name. In American sports, there aren't any other references to certain ethnicities as team names outside of Native American ones. Or am I wrong? Also, isn't the term "redskin" considered more of a slur than the other Native American references?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    In American sports, there aren't any other references to certain ethnicities as team names outside of Native American ones. Or am I wrong?
    Vikings?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Vikings?
    There's also the Notre Dame "Fighting Irish" in collegiate sports (represented by a leprechaun, though interestingly it apparently used to be represented by Irish terrier dogs. Didn't know that before looking it up).

Here's a whole list of teams named for Indigenous peoples from a variety of countries:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...genous_peoples

This page has some interesting discussion and also a list of some teams that changed names. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_...ot_controversy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Vikings?
    At a gathering we brainstormed names of teams that represent groups of people:
    Saxons
    Scots (also Fightin' Scots at another university)
    Swedes
    Gaels
    Norse
    Spartans
    Trojans
    Flying Dutchman
    Highlanders
    Gaels
    Texans,
    Patriots,
    Raiders (and Red Raiders),
    Aggies
    Fightin' Illini
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 06-22-2014 at 03:40 PM.

vCash
    There has been more movement on this recently than there has been in a long time. I think that people are starting to accept that the name should be changed. Another 20 years and perhaps it even will be.

I have lived in DC more than 50 years and I've always hated the name. I hope I do live to see it changed.
    I wonder if Chrysler/Jeep will rename the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    (The Seminole tribe for instance has a formal relationship with Florida State; because the mascot is used with dignity.)
    Bwahahaha

The mascot is highly undignified and offensive. But the Florida Seminoles endorsed it because FSU promised free tuition to all its tribal members.

That's basically how sports teams have dealt with challenges to their mascots--they offer bribes to silence protest, then claim no one is offended. The Redskins are doing this too, now, but less effectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I wonder if Chrysler/Jeep will rename the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee...
    No, that went to court some years ago, and the tribe lost.

vCash
    The mascot is highly undignified and offensive.
    The mascot's outfit is provided to the school BY the tribe. So at very least, it's not like the schools where they just throw random Indian looking stuff together and call it authentic. Their crest is an actual person, not just a generic caricature. Tribe leaders take part in their homecoming celebrations.

No doubt there are individuals offended, but the Seminole tribe has voted many times to support the schools use of the name. Free tuition ain't bad either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    At a gathering we brainstormed names of teams that represent groups of people:
    Saxons
    Scots (also Fightin' Scots at another university)
    Swedes
    Gaels
    Norse
    Spartans
    Trojans
    Flying Dutchman
    Highlanders
    Gaels
    Texans,
    Patriots,
    Raiders (and Red Raiders),
    Aggies