Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

NFL "Redskins" Name Change and Issues of Race

Recently, Riley Cooper of The Philadelphia Eagles was recorded on camera saying the N-word. He has since apologized and it doesn't seem there will be an extra discipline. However, this incident has brought up another issue that NFL has with using the term "Redskin" for one of its team names. There has been a movement to get the name changed, but the NFL seems stubborn in its position of keeping it the same. I think "Redskin" is offensive for reasons that have been made clear by many groups, but the I don't think the NFL will be changing any time soon. I just wonder how others feel about whether Cooper's punishment was enough and whether or not the team mascot of "Redskins" should be changed.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/c...skins-NFL.html

vCash
    I think the name should be changed.

vCash
    I don't see what the big deal about the name is. I'm half Chippewa myself and, at least where I'm from, the people just don't get up in arms about sports mascot invoking native themes.
    Last edited by Cloudy_Gumdrops; 08-04-2013 at 05:12 AM.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Being a Redskins fan, I have mixed feelings. The name was meant to invoke strength and power. But we wouldn't have teams named the Blackies, or the Whiteys, or the Yellowmen. I would not, in conversation, refer to Native Americans as redskins or redskinned. So I would lean in favor of a name adjustment. That said, the logo is not a parody or cartoonish like Chief Wahoo or even like the Atlanta Braves signature tomahawk chop. And I thought it silly when the NCAA made FSU get rid of its Seminole mascot that was designed by the Seminole tribe. Still, I keep coming back to the fact that we wouldn't name a team the Blackskins, Whiteskins, or Yellowskins.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Redskins is also a racial slur in a way that "whiteskins" would not be. It's significantly more like calling your team "the Washington n-words" (without the abbreviation, of course)

In the end, whether or not everyone is uncomfortable, it's not really okay to use a race as your team mascot, especially not a racial slur for that race, and especially not when a significant number of people of that race have expressed anger over it. This should not be a conversation. When someone tells you something is offensive to them, the appropriate response is "oh really? I didn't realize. We'll stop." Not I HAVE THE RIGHT TO CALL MY TEAM WHATEVER I WANT! TRADITION!

The question for me always comes down to why people are so dead set on holding on to this name.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    There has been more movement on this recently than there has been in a long time. I think that people are starting to accept that the name should be changed. Another 20 years and perhaps it even will be.

I have lived in DC more than 50 years and I've always hated the name. I hope I do live to see it changed.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I used to be “whatever” to these arguments. But agal posted (a long time ago),why this was important. It was less about using an offensive term and more about native American communities having the ability to control their own image, rather than having it be controlled by a people that almost annihilated them. I liken it to, say, some movie star or athlete wanting to control the use of her name and image, and not wanting someone commercializing / profiting off of it with her consent. Her argument went deeper than that but "owning my own name" was a big part of what I got out of it. I found it a very valid argument.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    What's the history of the Washington NFL team's logo? Can't they just be known as the ___________ (whatever the tribe of the man depicted in their logo is)?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    According to my research, Washington is home to over twenty (current and historical) tribes.

The Washington Kwalhioqua

vCash
    There have been precedents for a pro sports team changing its name as well with the NBA's Washington Bullets changing to the Washington Wizards. The name change I think was because of gun violence in the DC area and while I think there were probably grounds for that change, changing the name of a team that seems to be considered a slur for some seems like an even more convincing reason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    There have been precedents for a pro sports team changing its name as well with the NBA's Washington Bullets changing to the Washington Wizards. The name change I think was because of gun violence in the DC area and while I think there were probably grounds for that change, changing the name of a team that seems to be considered a slur for some seems like an even more convincing reason.
    The former "Bullets" were originally a Baltimore team, so alliteration probably at least partially accounts for the name choice back when the franchise began. I agree that Washington's NFL team name is overdue for a change and I cringe whenever I see Cleveland's Chief Wahoo caricature.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Gun violence was the reason for the change, but IIRC, the impetus for the change came from the team owner Abe Pollan so it was a lot different than trying to push for a team to change its name when the ownership doesn't want to.

No one likes the name Wizards.

I've always advocated changing the logo for the Washington NFL team. I figure if you change it from the native American motif to a potato, then the name ceases to be offensive and becomes based on redskin potatos. I think this would make for a great logo for a football team. And fans could come dressed as potato heads!

For some reason, I can't get this idea taken seriously.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    No one likes the name Wizards.
    I noticed everyone was really excited when they changed the jerseys to resemble the old Bullets uniforms.

Weren't the Redskins initially called the "Braves?" I wonder if that is a more palatable change for the team and fans?
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post

I've always advocated changing the logo for the Washington NFL team. I figure if you change it from the native American motif to a potato, then the name ceases to be offensive and becomes based on redskin potatos. I think this would make for a great logo for a football team. And fans could come dressed as potato heads!
    Here you go, BR.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwBQ&dur=555

I'm not so sure Washington state will be so thrilled, though.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    The New Orleans Hornets just changed their name. I don't remember to what.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Here you go, BR.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwBQ&dur=555

I'm not so sure Washington state will be so thrilled, though.
    PML!

vCash
    Someone I worked with in DC wanted the Bullets' name changed to the Justice. Think about it - they would play on the Supreme Court and when the ref blew the whistle, all the lawyers in the crowd could stand up and yell, "I object!"
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Someone I worked with in DC wanted the Bullets' name changed to the Justice. Think about it - they would play on the Supreme Court and when the ref blew the whistle, all the lawyers in the crowd could stand up and yell, "I object!"
    I think that would've been a lot better than Wizards.

Thanks BlueRidge for the background of the Bullets to Wizards change. Yeah, it does seem far different considering the owner of the Redskins seems very firm in his belief the name should be kept. I guess if there's a change, it will probably come internally.

New Orleans Hornets changed their name to Pelicans to reflect Louisiana's state bird.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Lol I love the redskin potatoes! So many of the players are shaped like potatoes, it works! I was thinking they could be the Pigskins. That would probably send the PETA people into the streets.

I wanted the Wizards to be the Power but some other team got that name later. Another suggested name that was funny was the Washington Monuments. The basketball players resemble the Washington Monument. But they let kids vote so we got the Wizards. Perhaps a little better than the runner up name which I think was the Seagulls.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    The New Orleans Hornets just changed their name. I don't remember to what.
    Pelicans

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast