Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Sarah Meier winning the Europeans in 2011 is one of my all-time feel good moments in skating history. The look on her face when she realised she had won was amazing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post

But the one really atrocious incident, I thought, was at Worlds 2004. I was there in Dortmund and Poykio skated in the really tough qualifying group with Michelle Kwan and others. Michelle had a disastrous skate (popping the loop, falling on the 2nd lutz, and was v. slow throughout the programme), while Poykio skated a brilliant long programme (where her only mistake was doubling the second lutz), and was yet placed 4th in her group behind Kwan. Going into the short programme, she skated in the penultimate group and after doubling the flip (her own fault), she was basically buried in the standings and had no chance of making it back to the top ten even after another beautiful free programme.
    Kelvster, you ere not the only one who was mad about that in Dortmund 2004. Susanna was never given any gift points. I was so happy about her bronze in Helsinki 2009, when everyone had totaly written her down. Too bad that the injuries held her back in the last years.

I realixe that I somewhat miss Sebestyen and her huge lutzes.

vCash
    I dont think any of those were ever what you call medal contenders skaters. There probably isnt a single year going into Worlds you factored in any of those as a possible contender for a medal. I would say no, I cant think of a single year any of those could have medalled. You could say something like what if one of them hit their all time peak in 2006 (and even that wouldnt be enough for say Poykio) but you cant make one of them have their career peaks randomly be at the most opportune time ever.

vCash
    Well, in my opinion, Sarah Meier was actually robbed of bronze medal in 2006.

vCash
    Sebestyen's 03/04 season was great (the season she won Europeans). IMO, I think that was the only year she had a real shot at a world medal. Her results were never as good in any other season, although she had some good Grand Prix events in 04/05, and 06/07. It seemed like the end to her career was kind of a slow fade.

vCash
    I honestly think Sebesyen hung on a little too long. She would have left off a high note after winning Euros that season.

Meier left off a high note after her Euros win.

vCash
    Sebeysten did a clean short at the 2004 Worlds and was placed in 5th or 6th. She wasnt ever winning a medal that year, despite it being her best year of skating. The field was just too deep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Sebeysten did a clean short at the 2004 Worlds and was placed in 5th or 6th. She wasnt ever winning a medal that year, despite it being her best year of skating. The field was just too deep.

Well, she should have been placed higher in that SP...above Arakawa for sure and also above Kwan in my opinion.

ETA:
    Sebestyen was also the best skater of these 4 skaters. If she had ever skated a clean SP and LP at one worlds, she should have placed very high. Her problem was that she often messed up either program at Euros or Worlds. (Or both programs...)

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I think the 2004 SP should have been Kostner-Sebestyen going 1-2, even with Sebestyen's lip. Arakawa's and Ando's second triples in the 3/3's were under-rotated, although props for Ando's solo triple directly out of one-footed FW, Cohen flutzed, her flying spin was a hop-over, and her jumps were small, although her expression and polish were exquisite, and one of Kwan's spins traveled to France and back, her jumps were smallish, and she wasn't sharp.

I think Sebestyen should have had bronze at Worlds in 2004, because I would have had her at least three spots above Kwan in the SP and only one behind Kwan in the FS.

Obviously, the judges did not agree at all

I loved Poykio's skating: I don't remember another Ladies skater at that time with her soft-as-butter edges and basic skating, except possibly Kettunen. She, though, struggled for a few years just to get in the top 10, and then she languished toward the bottom of the top 10.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Julia Sebestyen's LP at 1999 and 2001 Euros were so good (and 2000 was good too, IIRC). it's a shame she didn't skate well enough in the SP to medal there.
    She was a very good technician (jumps and spins), and it's a shame she was not consistent enough.

I don't really like Liashenko's skating. Her skating looked labored to me (even her cross-over were not nice to watch), and her jumps were not nice (telegraphed).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12