Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I'll have to go back and watch the videos, but what I remember about Kerrigan vs. Baiul in the LP at Lillehamar is that Kerrigan delivered a program and Baiul put on a show. A fluffy pink trainwreck of a show, but a show nonetheless. Even so, until the results were announced, I was pretty sure that Kerrigan would win.
    My results for Lillehammer would have been:

1. Chen Lu
    2. Nancy Kerrigan
    3. Oksana Baiul
    4. Yuka Sato (shame about her SP; if she had been clean in that phase, she probably could have won it all!)

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    She had fabulous costuming though and she was pretty, but even that aspect of her was blown out of proportion with the continuous Audrey Hepburn references from the media.
    Just to be clear, it was Katharine Hepburn. I do see the resemblance somewhat as they both have that New England, bony face look. I do agree with almost everything else you said though. I do think she was pretty unintentionally hilarious. She looks like someone you can have a bitchfest with.

I won't give much stock in her age though as I've met adults twice Kerrigan's age at the time acting much worse and immature. I thought people grew out of that, but they really don't. They just surround themselves with people who enable and encourage such behavior. Some people drink coffee or red bull while others are energized by snark.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    My results for Lillehammer would have been:

1. Chen Lu
    2. Nancy Kerrigan
    3. Oksana Baiul
    4. Yuka Sato (shame about her SP; if she had been clean in that phase, she probably could have won it all!)
    Under this scenario would you have Chen in the top 3 after the SP over Bonaly? Chen had a pretty significant error there, although I did like her SP much better than Bonalys; I'm not sure she deserved it over her.
    Last edited by Lnt175; 08-04-2013 at 04:29 PM.

vCash
    Same. She was stiff, robotic, wooden, and uncharismatic. It was extremely rare to see her smile or to see joy in her when she was competing. She had fabulous costuming though and she was pretty, but even that aspect of her was blown out of proportion with the continuous Audrey Hepburn references from the media. I have to admit I do find her disturbingly and unintentionally hilarious though. At the height of her on-screen dramatics, she was 23 in Prague ("I just want to die") and 24 in Lillehammer (all the eye-rolling, the she's just going to cry all her makeup off again remark about Baiul, "this is the corniest thing I've ever done" regarding the Disney parade), yet her behavior was indicative of a prepubescent girl having a temper tantrum or a meltdown. She was always being portrayed by the media that she was this darling American sweetheart when in reality she was very shy, incredibly uncomfortable in front of the cameras, bratty, and icy. Even though she had traveled and competed all across the world, she came across as very sheltered and entitled. I recall her skating many clean short programs when it counted, but she was incredibly unreliable in the LP. The closest she ever came to skating clean was at the '94 Olympics, but even there she doubled a planned 3flip. I believe it was the attack and having to focus on her comeback and overcoming adversity that allowed her to deliver that level of performance in Norway. Had everything gone according to schedule per usual, she may have had a repeat of Prague, Phoenix, Oakland, Albertville, Orlando, Munich, or Minneapolis, and may have ended up off the podium altogether. In a very bizarre way, the ordeal in Detroit made her career and made her memorable. Maybe that explains a lot of resentment Kerrigan has for Harding because she never wanted to be famous. I recall Nancy's mother Brenda also stating in an interview that Nancy never expected fame from figure skating.
    I agree but it seems Nancy was just reacting to all the drama going on around her. Its just a shame the cameras caught her. I do see how people would be turned off by that, and even as a pro, it seemed a sense that Kerrigan just didn't want to be there.

BTW She went also went clean in 93 Puiretten- hit the flip, doubled the loop there.

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnt175 View Post
    Under this scenario would you have Chen in the top 3 after the SP over Bonaly? Chen had a pretty significant error there, although I did like her SP much better than Bonalys.
    While I do agree that Chen Lu had a pretty significant error with stepping out of the 2toe portion of her combination and hitting the tv camera, the truth is in terms of basic skating, she skated rings around Surya Bonaly. As much as I wanted to try and like Surya's skating, she was much too choppy for my tastes. She didn't have the natural fluidity of Lulu and had the skating skills of an intermediate or novice competitor. Bonaly was overrated in her presentation/artistic impression scores and, yes, I would have placed her below Chen Lu at the '94 Olympics in both programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    ...people (skating fans) talk about her and her skating with such disdain that you'd think she wasn't a top-level skater.
    Oh come on! Skating fans don't talk about Nancy that way.

vCash
    There is absolutely no case for Chen deserving to be top 3 in the SP in Lillehammer. To even suggest so is absurd. Kerrigan and Bonaly both had clean performances and overall very strong, even with the imperfections of Surya's skating, and Baiul had a less substantial error than Chen and a masterpiece program.

Chen was lucky enough to even be 4th. The Eurosport team and CBS team both suggested she was given a bit of a gift. Yes it was a very nice program but with a big two foot into the boards on her 2nd jump of the combination 4th was the best placement that wouldnt have caused an outcry. Chen deserved no more than a 5.4 in the first mark of the short at the 94 Olympics, and Bonaly a 5.7 or 5.8 so it wouldnt matter if you even gave Bonaly a 5.5 or 5.6 for presentation, she still would have been ahead.

Watch me move
    vCash
    I was not a fan at all of her competitive programs. But I saw her skate in a professional show a few years ago, and I was really surprised to see that she has very good technique and strong edges, and she was quite expressive even though it was a GFB (generic female ballad) program. I don't think the programs she was given as an amateur really showed off those qualities.

(And I say "given" because it sounds like if you were coached by Evy Scotvold you had to use Mary Scotvold as a choreographer, and you didn't have a lot of choice in what she created for you.)
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Kerrigan was actually quite overrated IMO. She was solid technically but boring artistically, and could probably only be in the mix with the likes of Tonia K and Amber Corwin if born a few years later. And of course if she was born a few years early she wouldn't be able to touch Thomas, Kadavy and Trenary.

Think of it this way: out of the 2 World and 2 Olympic medals that she won, only the 1994 Olympics medal was won with a good outing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabybackhand View Post
    There is absolutely no case for Chen deserving to be top 3 in the SP in Lillehammer. To even suggest so is absurd. Kerrigan and Bonaly both had clean performances and overall very strong, even with the imperfections of Surya's skating, and Baiul had a less substantial error than Chen and a masterpiece program.

Chen was lucky enough to even be 4th. The Eurosport team and CBS team both suggested she was given a bit of a gift. Yes it was a very nice program but with a big two foot into the boards on her 2nd jump of the combination 4th was the best placement that wouldnt have caused an outcry. Chen deserved no more than a 5.4 in the first mark of the short at the 94 Olympics, and Bonaly a 5.7 or 5.8 so it wouldnt matter if you even gave Bonaly a 5.5 or 5.6 for presentation, she still would have been ahead.
    It's not that absurd.

Bonaly's combo spin was under-revved and her step sequence really started 1/3 length down the rink and contained very little content. I don't even know how to mark that spiral sequence.

Meanwhile, Chen did make a mistake on her combo jump, but on the 2toe, not the 3lutz. Her steps had a good part done in the opposite direction. Every other element is done very well.

Bonaly's first mark should not be as high as people think and of course compared to Chen her second mark should be way lower.

Something like 5.6/5.5 for Bonaly and 5.4/5.8 is totally reasonable for me.

In any event I would have had both Chen and Sato ahead of Kerrigan in the free anyway.

vCash
    Think what you want, but Chen being higher than 4th in the short would have created a ton of controversy, and it is a good thing it didnt happen. Alot were already questioning her being as high as 4th in the short. As for Bonaly, flaws aside, many were complaining at the time she wasnt placed over Baiul with her two footed combo for 2nd.

Whether an error occurs on the 2nd or 1st jump makes no difference as long as both jumps are done. Chen's major error being on the 2nd jump doesnt make it any better.

Either way Kerrigan delivered two perfect and excellent programs so no way Chen deserved to beat her. In the long program alone there is a case for Chen being over Kerrigan I guess.

It is also not so that all of Chen's other elements werent strong. The spins aside from perhaps the layback were all weak. Her combination spin was especialy weak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Kerrigan was actually quite overrated IMO. She was solid technically but boring artistically, and could probably only be in the mix with the likes of Tonia K and Amber Corwin if born a few years later. And of course if she was born a few years early she wouldn't be able to touch Thomas, Kadavy and Trenary.

Think of it this way: out of the 2 World and 2 Olympic medals that she won, only the 1994 Olympics medal was won with a good outing.
    Well I agree her 92 worlds SP and LP and 92 Olympics LP was messy. Actually everyone was messy in the LPs at Albertville. Chen was the only clean one there, but was out of the running after being buried in the SP. Harding took herself out of the picture after the short. Even if you have her over Kerrigan in the LP, shes too behind to get a medal. I disagree though about comparing her to Corwin and Kwaitkowski. Both had huge flaws in their technique(esp Corwin), which Kerrigan had none of. She actually competed in a more deep era internationally(at least 89-92) than Corwin and Tonia K

As for Thomas yes she was great but she bombed her Olympics and last worlds and was very lucky to even medal. Kadavy was the best artistic skater of that era but too inconsistent.

vCash
    Think what you want, but Chen being higher than 4th in the short would have created a ton of controversy, and it is a good thing it didnt happen. Alot were already questioning her being as high as 4th in the short. As for Bonaly, flaws aside, many were complaining at the time she wasnt placed over Baiul with her two footed combo for 2nd.

Whether an error occurs on the 2nd or 1st jump makes no difference as long as both jumps are done. Chen's major error being on the 2nd jump doesnt make it any better.

Either way Kerrigan delivered two perfect and excellent programs so no way Chen deserved to beat her. In the long program alone there is a case for Chen being over Kerrigan I guess.

It is also not so that all of Chen's other elements werent strong. The spins aside from perhaps the layback were all weak. Her combination spin was especialy weak.
    I agree that if Chen had skated her SP like she had at the 93 Skate Canada she should have led over Kerrigan and two footing Baiul in the SP. That SP was an underrated masterpeice if she was on. Alas the error was too big to put her top 3, regardless of how superior her skating is to Bonaly esp in a technical program. Even if Chen won the LP, which there is a case, she wins silver over Baiul in that scenario.

vCash
    Life Magazine actually called her the Grace Kelly of figure skating so there were a few celebrities she was compared to. I think Kerrigan's best program was the Beauty and the Beast and wish she'd kept that one another year. But I understand why she'd want to start fresh.

vCash
    Chen was lucky enough to even be 4th. Yes it was a very nice program but with a big two foot into the boards on her 2nd jump of the combination.
    That's NOT what happened. Lu actually completed the 3lutz/2toe combo. She was close to the board, but the 3lutz was cleanly landed. She completed the 2toe in combination, but immediately afterwards her arm hit the camera, which stopped the flow of the jump and sent her into the board. If the cameraman hadn't been so close, Lu's arms would have swung into the opening of the rink--no collision, and a completed combo.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nld8NY1fJu8 I always preferred Ms. Tonya.

vCash
    In her own era she wasnt the standout skater that Yamaguchi, Ito, Baiul, Chen, and Harding were even if she often beat Chen and Harding, and has beaten all those skaters at some point. In history her skating doesnt stand out as being great in anything, not jumping, spins, or artistry. Had it not been for the clubbing she would just be another generic good skater who was one of the top of her own time, but in history is a speck, even had she won the 94 Olympic gold.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnt175 View Post
    I agree but it seems Nancy was just reacting to all the drama going on around her. Its just a shame the cameras caught her. I do see how people would be turned off by that, and even as a pro, it seemed a sense that Kerrigan just didn't want to be there.

BTW She went also went clean in 93 Puiretten- hit the flip, doubled the loop there.
    No, it was a shame that she had to act like a bratty ten year old. She came off as a whiny bad sport. She didn't have any class, and the cameras caught her. Personally, I was praying that she wouldn't win because I never could stand her. I totally agree with museksk8r's discription of her skating too. I realize that she was very disappointed, but other skaters have been extremely disappointed and they haven't acted so badly.

vCash
    Never won a World or Olympic title even in the weak transition years (atleast in the U.S) between Yamaguchi and Kwan. Wasnt an outstanding artistic or technical skater, and was wildly inconsistent. Bad attitude. What was there to remember?

vCash
    No, she was not underrated by fans. She was underrated by non- fans, and in the 94 Olympics, by the judges. ;-)
    It was unfortunate that the cameras picked up her petulant remarks. Personally, I think the real shame lies not with Nancy who was simply venting her frustration but with the cameramen and the tv director who chose to show it and exploit it at the expense of a young athlete.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast