Thread: iPad questions

vCash

iPad questions

It is tax free weekend on iPads in Tennessee this weekend. I am going to get one (finally) but am curious as to what you think about the iPad mini versus the iPad with retina display. There is $170 difference in cost. Is it worth it Thanks.

vCash
    Can't comment on the retina display as my iPad predates it, but my sister has the mini and really loves it. It fits in her purse whereas mine rarely does and the difference in weight is noticeable when you pick them both up. Why don't you wait and see what you like when you can see both of them and pick them up together? Oh, and I still love my photos on the iPad I have - they are gorgeous anyhow!

vCash
    I have a full sized iPad 2 and despite being dropped once it still works like a dream. Plus the full size versions has 4G capability and I carry mine around at all times. ( or 3G in my case) But I have an older friend who got an iPad mini because it is easier to carry around.

vCash
    The screen size is an issue for ,me i watch movies and tv on mine and like the larger display
    It is heavier but I only transport it for work

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Plus the full size versions has 4G capability and I carry mine around at all times. ( or 3G in my case)
    You can get the iPad mini with 4G as well.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy/home/s...mily/ipad_mini

vCash
    I have the mini and love it! Screen size doesn't bother me at all and I find it more convenient to carry around than the regular.

vCash
    What is the advantage of having an iPad mini over a smart phone (eg. Samsung)?

vCash
    I have a full size and prefer it to the mini for typing. I can come fairly close to touch typing on the full size keyboard. The mini's keyboard is a bit too cramped for me.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The iPad mini has Bluetooth, which should support a stand-alone keyboard.

I think I can type on the bigger iPod keyboard, but then I find my posts littered with typos.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I have a regular sized iPad and I prefer the bigger screen. I don't carry huge purses but mine can fit in my purse with no problem. It really comes down to the screen size...that's what makes the most difference to me. My mom has a Kindle Fire and likes it though she does tell me how jealous she is of my screen. It's much easier to watch movies, read books, etc. on a bigger screen than the smaller screen.

It's all preference. I love my iPad though. It's not a replacement for a computer though...that's what the sales guy told me when I bought it and he's right. I still have a lap top and a desktop computer, as well as an iPad...and an iPhone 4S...lord I have a lot of electronics!

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    I want to get a tablet but keep going back and forth as to whether to get an iPad, a Galaxy, or a Kindle Fire and whether to get the 4G LTE wireless version. I have an AT&T cellphone and could add a tablet to their share plan at a fairly reasonable price, but do I need the 4G? I like the regular sized iPad and the larger Kindle Fire because, like kwanatic wrote, it's easier to watch movies and read books on the bigger screen.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    Right now, I'd say the best small tablet is between the new Nexus 7 (just released - make sure it's the 2013 version) and the iPad Mini. I don't think that Samsung's tablets are as good as their phones unless you go for their most premium versions like the Note 8.

Go Kindle Fire if you're really invested in Amazon services, but honestly most can be gotten on the Nexus with the exception of Instant Video and the lending library. I'd wait for this fall's refresh though - rumors are it'll be a substantial update.

The cheapest decent option is probably the Nook HD, which unlike Kindle now has the full Google Play Store. But I'd be surprised to see any further major updates given B&N's troubles.

For large tablet - just go iPad. Android still doesn't have enough optimized apps for the larger screen.

As for 4G, I'd probably recommend it more for a Mini than the full iPad since it's just more likely that you'll take it around. I know the regular iPad can fit in many purses, but it's still bulkier in comparison.

Hope this helps but I know it's tough to decide!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It's all preference. I love my iPad though. It's not a replacement for a computer though...that's what the sales guy told me when I bought it and he's right. I still have a lap top and a desktop computer, as well as an iPad...and an iPhone 4S...lord I have a lot of electronics!
    I have an iPad 1 (for the kids at work), iPad 2, iPhone 5, a MacBook, and an iMac desktop (two actually, one is downstairs in the office!). I'd never recommend someone getting the iPad mini if they also have a smart (i)phone, it's just not worth it IMO. I think the iPad can take the place of a computer for short periods of time, but not long term until it gets a USB port. I carry my iPad around - it's still smaller and lighter than the MacBook, and the apps make it more useful, too.