Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yuna Kim is a "random skater"?
    I don't like her much so to me she is. Her fan base annoys me. I also am sick about how people talk about her like some goddess. The same way people used to talk about Kwan and that nauseated me too, despite that I like Kwan more than Kim. No skater should be talked about as if they are bigger than the sport the way Kim and Kwan are both treated.

Anyway that is going off topic. Random skater was maybe the wrong word, change it to random good skater. Still the fact is at her very best someone else is deemed 40 points better than her, so it is hard to believe even at her very best some U.S skaters in the currently super deep and strong U.S field aren't also better than her if they are also at their best (aka isn't there some U.S skater who at their best would be less than 40 points behind Yu Na Kim at hers).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I'll say! We've gotten a taste of what everyone is looking like except for Agnes. I really think Agnes has what it takes to be a top tier competitor (good basics, nice spins, huge jumps, technique, a little bit of spark and charisma) but she just has not put it together. If she can get her jumps to materialize I think she'd be capable of eclipsing Gracie. I find Agnes much more pleasing to watch than Gracie at this point but until Agnes starts delivering she'll never get that momentum and her PCS will never increase...at least internationally they won't. I'd like to see her earn those scores she receives nationally on a national level. When Agnes skates well it's impossible to ignore her. All she needs to do is give the judges a reason to pay attention to her.
    Agnes had her opportunity the last couple years and blew it. I don't know if she has the same chances now. What set her apart before was her huge jump potential, but Gold is like a better version of Agnes. I think if Gold and Agnes both skated clean even U.S National judges would put Gold ahead. Could Agnes get a 135 LP at U.S Nationals if she was clean? Since that is what it would take to beat Gold skating from the 2nd last flight last year. It might be even more than that this year.

I am not even sure if Wagner can beat Gold at Nationals this year if both are clean. Gold has much higher base value, would probably get a more in GOE too, and Wagner's PCS edge would not be enough to overcome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ohashibiles View Post
    I don't like her much so to me she is. Her fan base annoys me.
    You don't have to like her OR her fans, but any skater who is an Olympic and (multiple) World champion is no "random skater."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ohashibiles View Post
    Agnes had her opportunity the last couple years and blew it. I don't know if she has the same chances now. What set her apart before was her huge jump potential, but Gold is like a better version of Agnes. I think if Gold and Agnes both skated clean even U.S National judges would put Gold ahead. Could Agnes get a 135 LP at U.S Nationals if she was clean? Since that is what it would take to beat Gold skating from the 2nd last flight last year. It might be even more than that this year.

I am not even sure if Wagner can beat Gold at Nationals this year if both are clean. Gold has much higher base value, would probably get a more in GOE too, and Wagner's PCS edge would not be enough to overcome.
    Agnes is too much of a headcase to land on the top of the podium. Until she reigns in her demons, she won't. I believe she started working with a sports psychologist last season and there was some improvement made at Nationals, but she'll need to improve further in terms of consistency.

vCash
    I think had Agnes skated cleanly she would have won the last 2 Nationals. Her convincing short program win in 2012 showed the judges were more than ready to give her that one. Wagner at that point was not the frontrunner, and Czisny came in as the betting and judges favorite but make major errors in both programs, but she couldnt put it together in the FS. 2013 she fell in the short program and still was placed 2nd over a clean Nagasu. With Wagner blowing the long program and Gold way behind after blowing the short program, a clean free skate would have won it for her for sure but she didnt even come close to pulling it off.

People say she was held up at the last 2 Nationals. Well this past year she definitely was. She shouldnt have beaten either Gao or Hicks, and maybe not even Nagasu. However in 2012 while one could make a case for her finishing lower than 3rd, one could also make a strong case she could have easily been placed 2nd and sent to Worlds. Czisny did not really skate any better than she did in the LP, and was already behind after the SP. For the future of U.S skating it probably would have also been a much smarter move to send Zawadzki to those Worlds instead of Czisny, and it is unfortunate that didnt happen. It would have really boosted Agnes's confidence perhaps to go to a Worlds. There have been reports for years she struggles with motivation and confidence, and that she still hasnt qualified for a Worlds and barely had any international success probably weighs on her, and I am not sure how much enthusiasm or drive she has left. Having 3 spots for the Olympics will hopefully give her something more to push herself this season though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I think had Agnes skated cleanly she would have won the last 2 Nationals. Her convincing short program win in 2012 showed the judges were more than ready to give her that one. Wagner at that point was not the frontrunner, and Czisny came in as the betting and judges favorite but make major errors in both programs, but she couldnt put it together in the FS. 2013 she fell in the short program and still was placed 2nd over a clean Nagasu. With Wagner blowing the long program and Gold way behind after blowing the short program, a clean free skate would have won it for her for sure but she didnt even come close to pulling it off.
    ITA. Her scores in the SP are all the evidence we need to prove that if she'd delivered in the FS, she'd have won and I'd have been okay with that. I still think if Agnes went to nationals this year and hit all of her jumps she could beat out Gracie and Ashley. If she suddenly starts delivering this season I think she could be a front-runner not only for a spot on the team but as the national champion. She has what Ashley lacks (ability to execute tougher combos) and she has what Gracie lacks (polish, musicality, maturity, etc.). If she knocked both programs out of the park I could see her beating both of them. She has the potential; however, potential won't get you anywhere if you can't deliver.

vCash
    ITA. As ol' Dick Button said, "there's no greater burden than having potential"

vCash
    Re-posting from the Champs Camp news thread in GSD:

Group photo tweeted by Mirai Nagasu: Champs camp roommate love! #destinationsochi @christina_gao @agneszawadzki http://instagram.com/p/dTmIdwi5TU/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ITA. Her scores in the SP are all the evidence we need to prove that if she'd delivered in the FS, she'd have won and I'd have been okay with that. I still think if Agnes went to nationals this year and hit all of her jumps she could beat out Gracie and Ashley. If she suddenly starts delivering this season I think she could be a front-runner not only for a spot on the team but as the national champion. She has what Ashley lacks (ability to execute tougher combos) and she has what Gracie lacks (polish, musicality, maturity, etc.). If she knocked both programs out of the park I could see her beating both of them. She has the potential
    Although it COULD happen, that would seriously be a major upset...

I think one or both of the others would have to screw up as well. One thing thing working in her favor (and Gao, Nagasu and Hicks): lower expectations and less pressure.

vCash
    I love Agnes's skating, apart from her team picking music that doesn't show her off well, but she seems to lack the champion mentality. Whereas Gracie is like a racehorse raring to go. It makes her a lot more exciting to watch. I love the smoothness of Agnes's skating but it can be a little dull without some WOW moments. It would be great if this were her breakout season.

But my heart belongs to Mirai so I am hoping even more for her.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Ideally I would like a team of Gao, Nagasu, and Zawadzki. I think if they were clean and on they would be best bunch to watch from a viewers perspective. Ashley is just too over the top and Gracie has zzzz factor except for her jumps and fast spins. And yes, I know that this has little chance of happening... lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Ideally I would like a team of Gao, Nagasu, and Zawadzki. I think if they were clean and on they would be best bunch to watch from a viewers perspective. Ashley is just too over the top and Gracie has zzzz factor except for her jumps and fast spins. And yes, I know that this has little chance of happening... lol
    I would like to see Wagner make the Olympics only since she just missed last time and being the best U.S skater of the quad she deserves it. I would be totally happy with Gold missing it though although the judges will never let that happen unless she skates most of the program on her dress.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Unconventional. I would switch Gold for Gao, though. Christina is the duller one for me.

vCash
    New article on Cesario. http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/...-the-challenge

Glad to learn that her Carmen free program is going to be different to her short program in the past 3 seasons.

Good luck with the 3loop3loop! (Somehow I guess the almost inevitable UR call is calculated in that a 3loop3loop< is still going to be worth more than a 3loop2toe and sounds much more exciting. I believe Sotnotova is making a similar call on her 3lutz3loop.)

vCash
    ITA. Her scores in the SP are all the evidence we need to prove that if she'd delivered in the FS, she'd have won and I'd have been okay with that. I still think if Agnes went to nationals this year and hit all of her jumps she could beat out Gracie and Ashley. If she suddenly starts delivering this season I think she could be a front-runner not only for a spot on the team but as the national champion. She has what Ashley lacks (ability to execute tougher combos) and she has what Gracie lacks (polish, musicality, maturity, etc.). If she knocked both programs out of the park I could see her beating both of them. She has the potential; however, potential won't get you anywhere if you can't deliver.

You are talking about what if Agnes had skated better but you forget that Ashley could have done a much better long and Gold a much better short at the 2013 Nationals. It is not like Agnes Zawadski is the only one who could have skated better than she did. Same in 2013, she could have skated alot better, but so could Czisny and to a lesser degree Ashley. Yeah if Agnes Zawadski had skated well in free skate she would be National U.S Champion of 2012 and 2013, but what if Wagner, Czisny, and Gold had also skated their best those years. Would she still have been. Perhaps not anymore.

Anyway things are not like 2012 or even 2013. In 2012 there was no clear #1 moving forward. Czisny was the #1 for then but she was getting old already. In 2013 Ashley was the clear #1 but Gold was not firmly established up with her. Things political and reputation sense were more open. Now Wagner and Gold are firmly entrenched politics wise above the others, even if their skating isnt so superior perhaps to some others at their best. After getting 3 spots back for the U.S women and both showing possible to be medal contenders they are the Golden Girls for USFSA. I dont think the USFSA will let others come over them no matter how good they do unless those two underperform. I hope I am wrong but that is how I would guess things are for this season atleast.

vCash
    I agree, I can see other girls beating one and/or both of Gracie or Ashley at Nationals, but I don't see either of those two getting left off the team. For example, if Agnes or Christina were to have the SOHLs at Nationals and Gracie had a bad day, I could see Agnes or Christina placing 1st or 2nd and Gracie getting relegated to 3rd place, but that's lowest either Gracie or Ashley will place at Nationals, or if one were really to bomb, I think they might get named to the team anyway.

vCash
    It depends. If one of Gold or Wagner dissapoints on the grand prix and then has a bad Nationals too and all of Nagasu, Zawadzki, Gao, and maybe Czisny and Hicks have great competitions one of them might end up not being held up and placed outside the top 3 at Nationals, then left off the team. Wagner has easy grand prix assignments so she has no excuse to not make the Grand Prix final comfortably and I am pretty sure will, which will guarantee her spot probably even if she bombs Nationals. Gold has tougher assignments though and must really skate well to ensure her spot in the final, and keep her virtually ensured spot on the team and held up at all costs privileges going into Nationals.

vCash
    Curious to as the public's consensus.

Which US lady has the easiest GP assignments and who has the hardest GP assignments?
    Rank 'em if you want

vCash
    Wagner lucked out and got an easy ride to the GPF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Wagner lucked out and got an easy ride to the GPF.
    It's not all luck. Wagner had SA in 2012 and this year which were among the weakest fields. Last year the pick from the top 3 at SA was not Kostner or Suzuki, but Leonova, which not only gave Wagner an easy path to the GPF, but Gao was able to piggyback on the weak field at SA as well and earn a silver which gave her, as an alternate, an entry to the GPF. Wagner this year also has the weaker TEB. Gold and Nagasu both have two GP's with very deep, talented fields.

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast