Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051
Results 1,001 to 1,007 of 1007
    Title-less
    vCash
    [QUOTE=VIETgrlTerifa;4048030]
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I agree with this. I think my point is that since Gracie said it on Twitter for the world to see, it reached beyond Mao and people are reacting to it based on their own feelings. I wrote that in my initial post to you.
    However, what you are not offended by is not the same for others, and I don't know if it serves much good to minimize other people's authentic reactions. It's one thing to have them explain and maybe try to put their feelings in another perspective in order for them to reevaluate their feelings, but this sort of minimization because you don't feel the same is just dismissal.
    Again, I don't see what the point is if people were offended by it. And it's a second-hard report, not third-hand (not that it really matters). Your example of one Japanese fan and a comment that more people are on the same page (without evidence) is not much better since it's coming from a poster just like the poster who talked about his/her friend being offended. Even if dozens of supposed Japanese fans came to Gracie's defense, again, that doesn't take away the sting some people felt.
    I still think Mao's response is more important than mine or individual fans' and the Japanese people's feelings should most definitely respected. Let's say, if I want to brush off a stupid comment directed at me, it doesn't help that others around me are making a big fuss about it and will not stop.

And for that matter, I think it's time to go back to skating. I am hoping Gracie will get her jumps together because I think her Sleeping Beauty, despite whatever others say, will be spectacular when she gets her jumps going.'

eta: And we're on page 51. Would admin please close the thread so we can start a new one without Twitter-gate.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnskater View Post
    Enough already. Gracie is a teenager and an athlete. She is not perfect and neither are any of us who post here. Thank heavens there was no Tweet or FB when I was a kid. People complain here because skaters are always too PC and never let you in on their personality and how they hate perfect princesses. Then one mis-step and the critics with their pitchforks and knives come out of the woodwork screaming outrage about what an awful person said skater is and how that tweet, cover photo, etc. confirms it, blah, blah, blah . People are so quick to judge others character flaws. Gets downright depressing.
    Aren't *you* being a little quick to judge by characterizing all the criticism of Gracie's tweet as saying that it proves she is a terrible person? Because that's not what most of the criticism is saying.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    So now we're going to rip apart her apology? I think her apology is just fine. She wasn't apologizing that people took offense to her comment. She was saying she was sorry for unintentionally offending anyone.

O-
    It looks like it might have been just a typo. Why is this being made such a big deal?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie12 View Post
    It looks like it might have been just a typo. Why is this being made such a big deal?
    Oh c'mon!

But it doesn't mean she was out to start WW3, either.
    Touching the void.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    I think it is ridiculous if people are offended by that. People need to get over their unending hatred of Gracie Gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnskater View Post
    Enough already. Gracie is a teenager and an athlete. She is not perfect and neither are any of us who post here. Thank heavens there was no Tweet or FB when I was a kid. People complain here because skaters are always too PC and never let you in on their personality and how they hate perfect princesses. Then one mis-step and the critics with their pitchforks and knives come out of the woodwork screaming outrage about what an awful person said skater is and how that tweet, cover photo, etc. confirms it, blah, blah, blah . People are so quick to judge others character flaws. Gets downright depressing.

I think that if you are in the public eye, you should consider "would this be appropriate to say in a workplace?" attitude. I have no doubt that the tweet was purely in fun, and I'm sure Mao laughed, but it was written publicly on the internet, and some people ARE going to take offence. All the people I showed the article too thought it was a bit wrong. I don't buy the "but she is a kid" thing, because aren't we all taught when we are little kids to not make fun of other ethnicities? It's just a basic thing that she should know not to do.

The magazine cover is just an unflattering picture. I quite like the smirk, and I'd love it if she played up that side more, we need more personalities. But yeah, just not a good photo. Pity, because she is a very pretty lady.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    I have no doubt that the tweet was purely in fun, and I'm sure Mao laughed,
    That's quite an assumption.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    That's quite an assumption.
    Partial sarcasm As someone who did find the tweet offensive, I'm trying to give her the benefit of the doubt that she and Mao really are gal pals with in jokes.
    Last edited by AndyWarhol; 11-12-2013 at 07:17 AM. Reason: After thought

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051