Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    To be honest Gao didn't really distinguish herself from the other top US Ladies until last season. Before then she was rather average as a Senior skater.
    Exactly. She's slowly coming into her own. Last season she set herself apart with her SP but her FS wasn't strong enough. This season I think she'll have two programs that, if skated well, should earn her the respect she's been missing.

vCash
    I love this LP from Christina, probably my favorite of what I've seen of US Ladies so far. It's such powerful music, and she skates up to it, beautiful dress too. She's keeping last year's SP which together with this LP makes a great total package. I don't generally like it when skaters recycle a program, but 'Close without Touching' really worked for Christina. I agree she needs her 3F-3T back, esp. in the SP. I would be very happy if she got that 3rd spot.

Unrelated, but I thought I saw her riding a bike on campus a few weeks ago. She rides her bike fast, too

vCash
    oops double post

vCash
    Gao's coach and choreographer change worked well and that's why she's coming into her own since last season IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Whose jumps do you like then? Gracie's jumps come to a jolting, abrupt halt and she is stiff as a board (both jumps and general skating as well).
    As a matter of fact I find of the US ladies, Ashley Wagner has the most technically sound and beautiful jumps.

In the world...actually my favourite jumpers are Yuna, Caro, and AWagner.

Quite frankly, in my books even Gracie's "jolting" and "stiff" jumps are way more pleasant than Courtney's (in many ways). By that token, imo Gracie's don't have the beauty of Ashley's jumps. But again these are subjective. Just like skating qualities, everyone has their preferences to what jumps should look like.
    Last edited by cbd1235; 08-20-2013 at 03:38 AM.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    This season I think she'll have two programs that, if skated well, should earn her the respect she's been missing.
    I think Gao's disadvantage is partly technical. She has a flutz, so instead of repeating that, she repeats the triple flip and triple toe, and no triple triple means only a max of 6 triples. Her repeating a triple toe instead of a loop and just one lutz, in addition to other things in her layout, put her at a one jump disadvantage against other US ladies at nationals last year. I mean, C Zhang and Cesario did five rotated triples only at nationals and their TES were close to Gao's 6 triples. Gao also had low spin levels for a top US lady.

That's why Hicks beat her handily in TES with also 6 triples, because she did two lutzes and flips with no edge calls

ETA: Now that I've just looked, Wang's tech layout also needed tweaking. Six pretty triples at nationals and only 59 TES?
    Last edited by jlai; 08-20-2013 at 09:25 AM.

vCash
    Wang frontloads her combos, that's why her BV is low.

vCash
    Also I think Christina is going for two 3lo and either two 3t or 3f in her FS, and it seems she will do 3s again this season, so I think it will be 7 triples in the FS so that should help bump up her BV.

vCash
    A strong 2a is a great asset, though, because it can "easily" be repeated even if a skater is attempting a 7 triple layout.

7 triples and two 2a is hardly easy, but even if one of the triples is doubled, you are still left with 6 + an additional 6.6 points at best.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Title-less
    vCash
    Question for the cop experts: To do 7 triples and two 2As, won't one of the jumps have to be 2a-3t, 2A-2A, or a triple jump-2A sequence?

vCash
    I believe two of the seven jumping passes will have to either have two 2a or both a 2a and a triple.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    A strong 2a is a great asset, though, because it can "easily" be repeated even if a skater is attempting a 7 triple layout.

ITA. This was one of the reasons for YNK's great success leading up to Sochi, she was doing three 2A's with great GOE. I actually didn't like that it was being done, it gives the 2A too much weight relative to other skills.
    Christina until last season, was always hampered by the 2A, she was lucky if she could get ONE of them done without error in a program. Last season it became more solid, is her technique now so solid that she can try multiple 2As in the LP this year?

I really want her to succeed, but I never thought she 'wuzrobbed' especially in relation to Gracie Gold. Gracie's jump content base value was so much higher than Christina's, and Gold is a much better spinner too. Christina will need to find some combination of jumps that will narrow the gap between her competitors. Bringing back a solid 3F-3T and quality 2A would help a great deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Question for the cop experts: To do 7 triples and two 2As, won't one of the jumps have to be 2a-3t, 2A-2A, or a triple jump-2A sequence?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I believe two of the seven jumping passes will have to either have two 2a or both a 2a and a triple.
    Not at all. She could do this (obviously just one of the millions of possibilities):

3flip3toe
    3lutz2toe
    3toe half loop 3sal
    3flip
    3loop
    2axel
    2axel

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Also I think Christina is going for two 3lo and either two 3t or 3f in her FS, and it seems she will do 3s again this season, so I think it will be 7 triples in the FS so that should help bump up her BV.
    You are correct. According to her LP performance at the Cranberry Open, this is her current planned jump layout:

3T+3T
    2A
    3Lz(probably +2T)
    3F*
    3Lo*
    3S*
    3Lo* (probably +2T+2Lo)

* Indicates jumping passes in the 2nd half of the program

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    To be honest Gao didn't really distinguish herself from the other top US Ladies until last season. Before then she was rather average as a Senior skater.
    I agree, nothing special.

However, she has shown some resolve lately and with her taking this year off school, clearly she's serious about the Olympics. If she can deliver, she's every bit as much of a contender as Zawadzki is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Not at all. She could do this (obviously just one of the millions of possibilities):

3flip3toe
    3lutz2toe
    3toe half loop 3sal
    3flip
    3loop
    2axel
    2axel
    What I meant was two of the passes have to include two 2a or higher level jumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Christina is like the Akiko Suzuki of the US ladies: much better than she gets credit for and consistently under-appreciated. With Ashley and Gracie as the front-runners this season and the obvious favoritism for Agnes, what are Christina's chances of actually making the team?
    I've never thought Christina is like Akiko. She is rather in the similar position of Kanako(or Haruka) in the team of Japan. They are still young and coming to their own in these couple of years. Say, Akiko might be Jeremy of Japan, who has great edge works, musicality, artistry, and has already established their own personality on ice. Their federations are balancing those veterans with "it skaters" and "the post Sochi skaters".

vCash
    One thing I dont understand is some of you say when Nagasu is really on she is the best U.S skater since Kwan, she is amazing, she is unbeatable, etc....Well what is an on Nagasu. I would assume the 2010 Olympics which was the competition of Nagasu's life was her on and skating her best. Yet even there she didnt medal, and more importantly she was beaten by 40 points by the winner. How amazing is someone who even when totally "on" is losing to some random skater by 40 points.

vCash
    Yuna Kim is a "random skater"?

This is Mirai when she was really "on" (even with 3Lz+3T<): http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2010/SEG003.HTM

ETA:
    Cross-posting from the Champs Camp news thread in GSD:

Christina Gao tweeted:
    Excited to show judges and officials my revamped SP this evening! Same music, but want to show how I've grown as a skater. #champscamp"
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-21-2013 at 09:51 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I assume here we are talking about ladies who cannot do a 3A. With a skater with 5 triple jumps who wants to do 7 triples and two double axels, the major jumps could be a list like this:

3Lz, 3Lz, 3F, 3Lo, 3S, 3T, 3T, 2A, 2A

To get this down to 7 elements, she needs to turn two of these into combinations/sequences. To comply with the repeated jumps limit, the two repeated triples (in this example 3Lz and 3T) and one of the 2 axels need to be done in combination/seq. The way it works out, that means she needs either to do a 3-3 plus 2A in combination/sequence with a triple or do two different 3-3 combinations/sequences*.

She could do this by sticking the two 3Toes on the end of the repeated Lutz and any other triple jump. Then she need only do the 2A in a combination/sequence with double jumps, like the example above or this example:
    3Lz-3T
    3Lz
    3F
    3Lo
    3S-3T
    2A-2T-2T seq
    2A

Since few ladies can land two different 3-3 combinations, we are more likely to see a 2A +triple combination/sequence plus one 3-3 combo, with another jump turned into the third combination/sequence with doubles.

For example, this would work
    3Lz-2T
    3Lz
    3F-3T
    3Lo
    3S
    2A-3T-2T seq
    2A

or this
    3Lz-2T
    3Lz
    3F
    3Lo
    3T-3T
    3S-2A-2T seq
    2A

(I'm not thinking in terms of useful jump orders here. I listed them this way to make it easier to follow the repeats.)

Here is the relevant language from the rules:
    "A well balanced Free Skating program for Ladies must contain ...maximum of 7 jump elements (one of which must be an Axel type jump);

"A jump combination may consist of the same or another single, double, triple or quadruple jump. There may be up to three jump combinations or jump sequences in the Free Program. One jump combination could consist of up to three (3) jumps, the other two up to two (2) jumps.

"A Double Axel cannot be included more than two (2) times in total in a Single’s Free Program (as a Solo Jump or a part of Combination / Sequence). Of all the triple and quadruple jumps only two (2) can be repeated and these repetitions must be in either a jump-combination or in a jump sequence."

*edited to add:

Now that I think about it, if a skater had a really good, money in the bank 3-3 combination, is there anything that would prevent her from using it twice? For example, would this work?:
    3Lz-3T
    3Lz-3T
    3F
    3Lo
    3S
    2A-2T-2T seq
    2A
    Last edited by Susan M; 08-22-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast