Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    The bright side is that Angela Wang gets to go instead as the first alternate, which actually eases things up for Pacific Coast Sectionals (i.e. Caroline and Rachael's odds of making Nationals are a lot higher now).

Hoping Karen has a fast recovery!
    Sad for Karen, but she will have next year.
    Yay for Angela! If she can put two clean performances together (I realize this is a big IF, but still) she can challenge for the podium for sure!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ISU Seasons Best Total Scores of 140+ after NHK Trophy:

3 193.81 Ashley WAGNER USA ISU GP Hilton HHonors Skate America 2013 20.10.2013
    6 186.65 Gracie GOLD USA ISU GP Skate Canada International 2013 26.10.2013
    9 179.08 Karen CHEN USA ISU JGP Kosice 2013 14.09.2013 (JR in U.S.)
    13 173.69 Christina GAO USA ISU GP Skate Canada International 2013 26.10.2013
    15 171.21 Polina EDMUNDS USA ISU JGP Mexico Cup 2013 07.09.2013
    18 167.98 Samantha CESARIO USA ISU GP Hilton HHonors Skate America 2013 20.10.2013
    24 164.18 Amber GLENN USA ISU JGP Czech Skate 2013 05.10.2013 (JR in U.S.)
    27 162.39 Ashley CAIN USA Nebelhorn Trophy 2013 27.09.2013
    28 162.00 Courtney HICKS USA ISU GP Skate Canada International 2013 26.10.2013
    32 155.87 Angela WANG USA ISU JGP Czech Skate 2013 05.10.2013
    34 153.17 Mariah BELL USA ISU JGP Mexico Cup 2013 07.09.2013
    42 148.19 Barbie LONG USA ISU JGP Kosice 2013 14.09.2013
    43 147.64 Agnes ZAWADZKI USA ISU GP Cup of China 2013 02.11.2013
    50 143.91 Tyler PIERCE USA ISU JGP Tallinn Cup 2013 12.10.2013 (JR in U.S.)
    55 142.32 Yasmin SIRAJ USA ISU JGP Riga Cup 2013 30.08.2013
    58 141.71 Mirai NAGASU USA ISU GP NHK Trophy 2013 09.11.2013
    I never thought I'd see Mirai so far at the bottom.

vCash
    Gracie just tweeted:

I have the utmost respect for Japan and it's people. I love Mao Asada!!!

We made a video with Mao at "The Ice" tour using that quote. I am deeply sorry for any unintended offense.
    How about an apology for saying what she said, rather than apologizing that people took offense to it.

(and I see someone has already pointed out that "it's" should be "its")
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Chen should still keep her bye to nationals, right? Kiri Baga did three years ago when she had to withdraw from the JGPF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    How about an apology for saying what she said, rather than apologizing that people took offense to it.

(and I see someone has already pointed out that "it's" should be "its")
    So now we're going to rip apart her apology? I think her apology is just fine. She wasn't apologizing that people took offense to her comment. She was saying she was sorry for unintentionally offending anyone.

O-

Title-less
    vCash
    I don't wanna go on and on about it, but do we actually know the Japanese are insulted or offended by this?
    (if the Japanese are offended, yes, apologize profusely.) But are there Japanese posters in this thread who can comment? (Granted, it's morning there right now)
    Because from what I see, the offended posters do not seem to be Japanese.

I was told, over the years, how I should have been offended by some joke which is supposedly racist and anti-Chinese (or whatever). I was, time and over, more amused by the fact that the people around me were more offended than I was -- because they grew up in a more PC culture and I didn't. I actually find their insistency that I should be offended to be too much about "the offended self" (in which case is not me)
    and another failure at achieving multi-culturalism

I know this is not a PC comment, but this is just my honest opinion.
    Last edited by jlai; 11-11-2013 at 11:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I don't wanna go on and on about it, but do we actually know the Japanese are insulted or offended by this?
    (if the Japanese are offended, yes, apologize profusely.) But are there Japanese posters in this thread who can comment? (Granted, it's morning there right now)
    Because from what I see, the offended posters do not seem to be Japanese.

I was told, over the years, how I should have been offended by some joke which is supposedly racist and anti-Chinese (or whatever). I was, time and over, more amused by the fact that the people around me were more offended than I was -- because they grew up in a more PC culture and I didn't. I actually find their insistency that I should be offended to be too much about "the offended self" (in which case is not me)

I know this is not a PC comment, but this is just my honest opinion.
    I google translated some of the comments Japanese fans tweeted (to Gracie and to their own accounts) and it appeared to be in the vernacular of "She probably shouldn't have done that, but I don't think she meant to be racist." But Google translate isn't perfect, so I hope some Japanese posters could translate and provide their view point.

And I totally feel you on the whole "you should be offended by this" thing expressed by my friends. I know they mean well and as I said earlier, I certainly had some mean, malicious racist comments made at me (namely, the one I remember is "I hear you people have dog for lunch!"), but when I sense there wasn't any harm intended, I find it's beneficial to set that person aside and tell them that they may want to be more sensitive with what they say.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 11-11-2013 at 11:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    So now we're going to rip apart her apology? I think her apology is just fine. She wasn't apologizing that people took offense to her comment. She was saying she was sorry for unintentionally offending anyone.
    That doesn't acknowledge that her comment itself was a mistake, just that it was a mistake because people took offense at it. How about something along the lines of "I am not racist and I should not have said what I did".
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Most 18 year olds know what is appropriate and inappropriate on social media. I also expect more from an athlete who is already traveled the world and has had more experiences than an average American teenager.
    Agreed. Gracie is an adult and should know better.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    That doesn't acknowledge that her comment itself was a mistake, just that it was a mistake because people took offense at it. How about something along the lines of "I am not racist and I should not have said what I did".
    I'm sorry, but I don't agree. She said she was sorry for the offense. That implies there WAS an offense. (she didn't use the unacceptable "I'm sorry IF some were offended") There is a difference.
    I was one advocating for her apology and I think this apology is acceptable.

vCash
    Well no one can speak for the Japanese people as a whole.
    I have a friend who is Japanese and living in America. When she found out about it, she was very mad and took it as an insult to Mao.
    It was offensive.

Title-less
    vCash
    And I totally feel you on the whole "you should be offended by this" thing expressed by my friends. I know they mean well and as I said earlier, I certainly had some mean, malicious racist comments made at me (namely, the one I remember is "I hear you people have dog for lunch!"), but when I sense there wasn't any harm intended, I find it's beneficial to set that person aside and tell them that they may want to be more sensitive with what they say.
    To be honest, the most offensive things said about "my kind" are often the ones that do not have the usual censored words or violate any usual etiquette.

Well no one can speak for the Japanese people as a whole.
    I have a friend who is Japanese and living in America. When she found out about it, she was very mad and took it as an insult to Mao.
    It was offensive.
    In which case, apologize to Mao if she's offended. It's really not any of my business.

vCash
    It is our business when she tweets something the entire world can see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Good grief. It's made the papers/internet news!

Gracie apologized and I'm glad that she did - quickly. I hope this doesn't backfire on her. And I hope she's learned her lesson. This should be forgotten by Nationals/the Olympics.

Title-less
    vCash
    In that case, many of the threads here should be closed because they could be very offensive to a lot of people outside FSU as they too can see the comments. And not to mention, very hurtful things about skaters, which are 10 times more rude than Gracie's words.

JMHO of course

vCash
    I understand both sides of the issue. The tweet was insensitive and really stupid, not to mention Mao's accent was actually really good in the video. However, I do not believe there was any malicious intent behind it. It was just a stupid joke that could have triggered some feelings that many feel about the way society tends to easily mock certain populations based on the way they look, speak, act, etc. that doesn't quite fit in with the dominant population.

I think the way people are able brush off the comment as merely immature or stupid, others can take the same comment as being a bigger part of basic insensitivity or ignorance towards the feelings of populations that most don't usually think about.

My personal feelings on this is that even if it was just an inside joke between Mao and Gracie, I think the whole joke about the "L" and "R" is sort of beyond that (especially if it's on a public platform like Twitter) because it applies to others and is often used to poke fun of one's manner of speaking. There's a whole history of mockery there, and I don't blame people for their reactions to it (criticizing her and educating her about why it may be racist). However, I also think people need to put it all in perspective and take into account that Gracie probably meant no malice. That may sound unusual from me because I don't shy away from criticizing people's comments regarding a variety of issues, but I feel Gracie's actual comment was seeped in ignorance, not bad or self-serving intentions.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Good grief. It's made the papers/internet news!

Gracie apologized and I'm glad that she did - quickly. I hope this doesn't backfire on her. And I hope she's learned her lesson. This should be forgotten by Nationals/the Olympics.
    Of course Phil wrote about it. Chicago connection.

vCash
    Most 18 year olds know what is appropriate and inappropriate on social media. I also expect more from an athlete who is already traveled the world and has had more experiences than an average American teenager.
    Absolutely she knows what's appropriate because she has clearly led a life of privilege (who else would so brazenly discuss the expensive scarves she buys). And she knows enough to give a clever "all positive" TV interview saying how pleased she is with a subpar performance in a GP which dropped her from 1st to 3rd.
    But what really irritated me this season was the Icenetwork video at ?????can't remember the event????? at which she came back to the group of American teammates after a great performance. They all said something like you rocked, or you killed it, or whatever and she spat out "Damn right" in clear earshot of the microphones.
    So classless. I just can't imagine hearing Ashley saying that, when you know you could possibly be heard, that is

vCash
    The people here are not public figures who could be representing their entire country to the world in 3 months.

Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast