Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
    vCash

vCash
    I don't know how twitter works, but on her feed now is the same tweet, spelled correctly. What does that mean?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I don't know how twitter works, but on her feed now is the same tweet, spelled correctly. What does that mean?
    It was pointed out that it was inappropriate and she edited it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    It was pointed out that it was inappropriate and she edited it.
    What was inappropriate about it? Wasn't it just a reference to the Shibsibs video? Or is it the fact that she spelled things incorrectly as a reference to Mao's accent?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    NO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    What was inappropriate about it? Wasn't it just a reference to the Shibsibs video? Or is it the fact that she spelled things incorrectly as a reference to Mao's accent?
    The latter. It can definitely be construed as racist mocking.

vCash

Well, hopefully this is a lesson for her and she'll be tactful from now on. It's a dumb mistake, but better that this happens now than at the height of the Olympics.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Wow. That's really dumb. Not only it's racist but she is mocking her hosts in their own country, while enjoying their hospitality.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Dumb? To make a racist joke about one of the last and next Olympic medalists who has never to my knowledge spoken disrespectfully of another competitor? I am waiting for the apology. What a way to represent the USA in the Olympic year! Shameful.

vCash
    It may not have been actually inappropriate if Mao openly mocks her accent when speaking with her English-speaking friends. For all we know, it's an inside joke between the two, and nothing more than that. (Because yes, it did references the Shibs video).

But it will absolutely be perceived as inappropriate and racist by everyone who reads the tweet who doesn't know Mao/Gracie personally. She's a public persona, so it was a dumb thing to tweet. Because even if that's a joke between friends- the mock-Asian pronunciation spelling is going to look racist.

vCash
    That's disgusting. As is this:

http://iamtheporpoise.tumblr.com/pos...he-would#notes

Blocked for daring to ask her if she would apologize.
    So she made people uncomfortable and upset and, rather than taking responsibility, she blocked them? Gross.

And Mao *doesn't* sound like that in the One more Sandwich video. Gracie was definitely mocking her.
    Last edited by valyrian; 11-11-2013 at 06:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valyrian View Post

And Mao *doesn't* sound like that in the One more Sandwich video. Gracie was definitely mocking her.
    The fact that Mao DOESN'T sound like that (she's rather squeaky in the video) is what makes me think she wasn't mocking her, but it is was a joke that went to the wrong audience (jokes like that should only be with the friend- otherwise, they absolutely come off racist.) Because why would you mock someone about a characteristic they don't have?

I don't know Gracie, she may be an evil person- but this seems more like a stupid mistake than actual mocking.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Dumb? To make a racist joke about one of the last and next Olympic medalists who has never to my knowledge spoken disrespectfully of another competitor? I am waiting for the apology. What a way to represent the USA in the Olympic year! Shameful.
    OK, you are right. It's beyond dumb. I was referring to the idiocy of tweeting something like that but that, despite all the PR training I am sure she'd received, is insignificant compared to the actual content.

But it does revert back to dumb if this is in fact a joke she has going with Mao.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I just hope Gracie learns some social media savvy. I really doubt she was being racist or mocking Mao, but she should have known better than to post inside jokes that nobody would understand. Inside jokes are just that -- inside jokes that only a few people understand.

I do feel that every little thing Gracie says or does is being nitpicked due to her status as a top contender for the U.S. Olympic team. Some of it I feel is unnecessary. But Gracie probably needs to learn to deal with the feedback better and be mindful of what she says.

For example, a few days ago, she tweeted something like "Can't wait to see my favorite Japanese girl" in reference to Maia Shibutani. Obviously we know those two are good friends, but I took pause for a moment and was like -- "Wait, why would she refer to Maia that way?" Wouldn't have it just been as effective to say "Can't wait to see my favorite girl " You wouldn't go and say "Can't wait to see my favorite white girl XXXXX."

Again, she's not being racist, but stuff like that could come across badly.

vCash
    stuff like that could come across badly.
    "Could"?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    What are the chances Gracie didn't know this tweet seems racist? She's only 18.

vCash
    If Gracie didn't know, it shows her as more than just ignorant. Age is no excuse.
    This was wrong on so many levels.

vCash
    GG needs some serious sensitivity training. I hate that phrase, too, but basically, growing up white, around white people, you can be so clueless as to what it's like to not be white and how you, as a white person, come across.

At least she hasn't said anything as horribly insensitive as Carolina Kostner's 2008 comments, but still, she's not going to escape unscathed. USFSA should make her apologize now rather than let this story fester online and blow up in January.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    At least she hasn't said anything as horribly insensitive as Carolina Kostner's 2008 comments, but still, she's not going to escape unscathed.
    What did Kostner say?

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    If Gracie didn't know, it shows her as more than just ignorant. Age is no excuse.
    This was wrong on so many levels.
    Actually, it is a very valid excuse. That's why younger people are not the same as older people. "With age comes experience," etc. Do you seriously think America's Princess would purposely post something that is a racial stereotype? I'm banking on she didn't know, and once it was brought to her attention, she modified the tweet and said gracious things about the Japanese. Let's all move on with our lives.

Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast