Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Just ask Cover Girl. They are both lovely.
    Generally, yes, but I absolutely hate the way Ashley is made to look in that picture from the other thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Doesn't hurt that both are beautiful girls.
    True. They're also both outgoing, and white.

Like the other Covergirl Olympic women, (save one, conveniently located in front): https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/st...86454767153152

This isn't against Ashley and Gracie. Yes, they're beautiful! But minority athletes seem to exist only as tokens in the sponsorship world.

vCash
    Congrats to Ashley and Gracie on their Cover Girl endorsements. I wonder if Ashley is annoyed that Gracie is getting every endorsement she is? Both of them got Nike deals and now both have Cover Girl deals...

Anyhoo, as for Gracie, I thought she did okay at SC. I still hate the music for her SP but the program (minus some of the flailing) isn't that bad if you turn the music down. She seems to be more engaged in her performance and I do think she's calmed down somewhat. She looked very easy and relaxed in her SP. She was perfect in the SP and scored 69 so I'm thinking with a little inflation she could get this program to 70 or 71. Very similar to Ashley who also earned 69; however, Ashley has room to add two or 3 points to her score due to her level 3 spins. If she upped the level and quality she could earn a few more points for her overall score...

Gracie wasn't good in the FS. Only the 3L and 3-jump combo at the end were done well...every other jump was very tight and nervous. I got the sense she was slowly unraveling. After the fall on the 3Lz it was obvious she was completely gone. That 3S was completely off but luckily that was the last triple. As for the program, it's still weak but it will serve its purpose this season. I do think she's doing a better job of performing though I still sense that disconnect between everything, probably b/c she was clearly nervous the whole time. The good news is even skating shakily she was able to score 117 and stay on the podium.

Presentation wise she's better but she still has a long way to go when it comes to controlling her nerves especially when she's in the lead and a clean skate will win gold. That's a lot of pressure and not everyone can handle it. Excellent SP, bad FS...she's still up and down but we'll have to see if she can level out at NHK.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Courtney Hicks tweeted this "Takeaway from Skate Canada" http://instagram.com/p/f-dExGF9no/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by edonice View Post
    True. They're also both outgoing, and white. But minority athletes seem to exist only as tokens in the sponsorship world.
    If we look JUST at figure skating, what non-white woman did you want to get the sponsorship? Christina Gao or Mirai Nagasu are very outside chances at making the team, it would be an awful gamble for them as advertisers. I honestly don't know, but has the US had an African-American skater in the ISP recently?

Outside of figure skating there are still very few minority women they could have selected. I looked through Team USA skiing, and didn't see anyone. Team USA speedskating does have a few minorities, but most of the team is white women. In Bobsled, in addition to Lolo Jones, Jazmine Fenlator is a beautiful woman, but I have no idea how likely either is to make the team, as I understand the competition to get on the bobsled team is tight. Lolo is getting publicity because she has other fame. The pre-event sponsorship goes to people who are highly likely to make their teams: if it is up in the air, they aren't going to be getting it.

Unfortunately, in the US (and around the world really) the Winter Olympics is still very white washed. Percentage-wise, it is going to be mostly white athletes who get the sponsorships because it is mostly white athletes who go to the Olympics. For the summer Olympics, I feel like there was a very high rate of minority sponsorship. But there was also a high rate of minority participation, and medal count.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Generally, yes, but I absolutely hate the way Ashley is made to look in that picture from the other thread.
    The first pic is unfortunate but there is a second one where she looks great.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I would like to see Ashley and Gracie do a cover girl commercial together. Hey maybe the third us lady could even join in.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Did Gracie also get CG sponsorship? I saw an announcement regarding Ashley but not Gracie.

Perhaps it's my own post that created the confusion.

Just ask Cover Girl. They are both lovely.
    Sorry, I only meant Ashley wrt to CG but also that they are both pretty girls. Didn't make it clear.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Did Gracie also get CG sponsorship?
    Yes, see the first post in the P&G (international) sponsorship thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...avis-amp-White
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    If we look JUST at figure skating, what non-white woman did you want to get the sponsorship? Christina Gao or Mirai Nagasu are very outside chances at making the team, it would be an awful gamble for them as advertisers. I honestly don't know, but has the US had an African-American skater in the ISP recently?
    Not for a while. The last African-American skater to make it to the elite level was Kristine Musademba (though she was half Filipino and half black). She did well on the JGP level, winning a three events, went to COC in 2010-2011 and placed 8th, then placed 15th at nationals and retired. I often wonder how an African-American figure skater would be received by the public? I'm assuming (if she was good) she'd get the same roll out welcome as any other skater but I'm thinking they might receive more attention b/c they'd be such an anomaly in a sport that is dominated by Asians and Caucasians. Gabby Douglas comes to mind...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Not for a while. The last African-American skater to make it to the elite level was Kristine Musademba (though she was half Filipino and half black). She did well on the JGP level, winning a three events, went to COC in 2010-2011 and placed 8th, then placed 15th at nationals and retired. I often wonder how an African-American figure skater would be received by the public? I'm assuming (if she was good) she'd get the same roll out welcome as any other skater but I'm thinking they might receive more attention b/c they'd be such an anomaly in a sport that is dominated by Asians and Caucasians. Gabby Douglas comes to mind...
    Um, Debi Thomas?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Dr. Thomas is an icon in figure skating, probably a role model for the likes of Rachael Flatt.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Simone Biles! Besides there was that controversy about what that Italian gymnast said to Vanessa Ferrari about painting herself black to win an all-around gold medal.

vCash
    I'm glad to see the skaters getting some good endorsement opportunities!

vCash
    Not for a while. The last African-American skater to make it to the elite level was Kristine Musademba (though she was half Filipino and half black). .
    Ahhhh shucks, for a second I thought she was authentic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    Um, Debi Thomas?
    Obviously Debi was the first I mean a skater in this era...

Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Ahhhh shucks, for a second I thought she was authentic.

I don't know what you mean by "authentic", what you're trying to imply or what your issue was with my statement. Some mixed people don't only like being identified as one half of who they are. So the fact that she's half Filipino is worth noting. That wasn't a slight against her or me calling her "less black" if that's what you're implying...I was just stating a fact that while she looks and is identified as black/African-American, she's actually half Filipino. Why did that piss you off?

In my race (yes, I am black FYI), there is not much middle ground. If you look black, society identifies you as black regardless of what other lineage you may have. I know this from personal experience BTW.

Why don't you explain your "authentic" comment and exactly what you meant by that...

vCash
    If you look black, society identifies you as black regardless of what other lineage you may have. I know this from personal experience BTW..
    I don't know about that. I know from personal experience that people will see what they want to see. A few examples:

Tai Babilonia (Part black, part Filipina, part Native American)
    Tiger Woods (Part black, part white, part Thai, part Chinese, part Native American)
    Dwayne Johnson (Part black, part Samoan)
    Tamara Taylor (Part black, part white, and cast in Bones as Dr. Camille Saroyan, presumably an Armenian-American).

If you want to see four black people in these photos, you will see four black people. If you don't, you won't.

And here's an article from the New York Times about a couple who met at Howard University: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/23/bo...-together.html

She's black, but he thought she was white. He's white, but she thought he was black. Go figure.

vCash
    That wasn't a slight against her or me calling her "less black" if that's what you're implying...
    Good.

vCash
    If you look black, society identifies you as black regardless of what other lineage you may have. I know this from personal experience BTW.
    A bit off topic, but I believe kwanatic is absolutely right. Historically in the U.S., individuals who look black have been identified as black. And this has even been the case legally. Many Southern states in the 1900-1960 era actually legally defined individuals with any African ancestry, even 1%, as black. You can see that this idea is still current in how people refer to Barack Obama. How often do you hear anyone refer to him as the "44th white president of the U.S."? But all the time in the media and elsewhere, he is known as the "1st black president of the U.S." Either description is just as true as the other, but because of his skin color, people see him as the latter.
    Anyhow, I don't want to offend anyone, but I did just have to agree with what kwanatic said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I don't know about that. I know from personal experience that people will see what they want to see. A few examples:

Tai Babilonia (Part black, part Filipina, part Native American)
    Tiger Woods (Part black, part white, part Thai, part Chinese, part Native American)
    Dwayne Johnson (Part black, part Samoan)
    Tamara Taylor (Part black, part white, and cast in Bones as Dr. Camille Saroyan, presumably an Armenian-American).

If you want to see four black people in these photos, you will see four black people. If you don't, you won't.

And here's an article from the New York Times about a couple who met at Howard University: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/23/bo...-together.html

She's black, but he thought she was white. He's white, but she thought he was black. Go figure.
    These are all good examples of people being more than what they appear, which was all I was saying before Siouxdonym got all defensive (for what, I still don't know).

My family is a melting pot of different ethnic backgrounds (Irish, French, Native American, Hispanic). I've had people ask me, "What are you?" b/c I've been told I look everything from black to Hispanic to mixed race to East African...it's a touchy subject in the community (one I'm not going to get into b/c this is not the place for it).

The only point I was trying to make (before Siouxdonym forced this tangent) is that there have been very few African American figure skaters at the elite level and that it would be nice to see one emerge in the US. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Good.

Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast