Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    ^ Wait did the ISU implement that hair cutter rule this season all of a sudden?

Beyond that, the music is starting to grow in me a little bit for Ashley's LP. Given that, I listened to a recording of Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet yesterday (didn't realize the beginning is such a familiar tune!) and what it seems like is that there aren't many portions of it that are very skate-able... Why Ashley chose this piece of music... Who knows. It's not really a skating program piece of music. Plus, something like this requires a more exquisite choreography and more attention to the music which Ashley isn't bringing. And with Ashley's level of interpretation and artistry, I don't think she ever will (despite what Ashley has said about bringing a sophistication in... Ashley doesn't have this level of artistry).

This LP would be more suited to Carolina than anyone else. Carolina's the only person who can make bizarre music work. Does anyone else agree?
    Yes. Carolina seems to be the only lady right now that can make any piece of music work. She just gets music in a way the others don't. My opinion might change over the course of the season, but I don't think the R&J music fits Ashley very well.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Good music for a figure skating program will have crescendos so that the skaters can build tension/excitement/drama or whatever the case may be. IOW, places in the cut to do jumps, emoting, MITF and footwork sequences.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of high points or excitement of any kind in Ashley's LP cut. And what a shame? R&J is one of the most famous tragedies in the world. Conveying the drama of the story would be incumbent on the skater, otherwise, why chose R&J, why bother with the dress and the hair and the hara-kiri in the end?

With all that said, I think we will see a lot more of the R&J story unfold in the free skate as the season goes on as Ashley and her team infuse the program with details and choreographic steps (and hopefully, higher level spins!). I think she is capable of making it work but I do worry about the music cut.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    My issue with Ashley's music is it sounds like background music. I drift off when watching her skate, which is a shame, because I actually like the program.
    Yeah, I listened to the whole piece by Prokofiev yesterday, and there isn't anything really skate worthy in the whole piece.

The problem with Prokofiev's version is that there ISN'T anything to skate to really. Has any other skater skated to this before?
    Last edited by smarts1; 10-24-2013 at 02:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Good music for a figure skating program will have crescendos so that the skaters can build tension/excitement/drama or whatever the case may be. There doesn't seem to be a lot of high points or excitement of any kind in Ashley's LP cut. And what a shame? R&J is one of the most famous tragedies in the world. Conveying the drama of the story would be incumbent on the skater, otherwise, why chose R&J, why bother with the dress and the hair and the hara-kiri in the end?
    Yes, I agree with this too. I wish she had a dramatic point in the program. In her Black Swan and Samson & Delilah programs she had those moments. I know some were not a fan of this, but I always enjoyed Ashley's dramatic arms in her spiral sequence for Black Swan.

vCash
    I guess they were trying to take a warhorse, but use less familiar pieces. However, Wilson couldn't even commit to that strategy as he uses "Death of Juliet" but then ignores it by keeping her buried in the corners or doing crossovers.

Heck, someone should try editing this program by switching the music that begins with the flying sit and ends shortly after the solo 3loop with the piece of music that follows it. She might need to move around some of the elements, but I think it would really improve the program overall.

The takeaway here is that ...No one puts DEATH OF JULIET in a corner! And by corner I mean the middle section of the program right after the bonus where skaters rip off consecutive jumping passes, lol.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSfan107 View Post
    I always enjoyed Ashley's dramatic arms in her spiral sequence for Black Swan.
    Those arms were absolutely brilliant, one of Mills' master strokes! Evil black swan with a modern twist. Loved it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Ashley was actually smiling during "The Death of Juliet" in the middle section. Since it is a theme that pops out throughout the ballet, perhaps, they could substitute it with a more lyrical/quiet version from Act 2 for instance, then we will get the desired buildup to the finale.

I'm actually surprised they didn't pick "The Balcony Scene" as it is IMHO one of the most romantic themes in ballet.

That said, I'm glad that she is trying to portray social tension R&J and not the usual romantic Juliet.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Ugh, just give her something to work with already! I have just re-watched the Black Swan and Samson and Delilah, just listening to the music--so many highs and so many well-used opportunities to accent them with an element, even if it's something as small as turn of the head and arms. Hence the excitement and the energy of the programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy123 View Post

That said, I'm glad that she is trying to portray social tension R&J and not the usual romantic Juliet.
    Where did you get that idea? Ashley had said she is trying to portray "bedroom Juliet." What social tension?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSfan107 View Post
    Yes, I agree with this too. I wish she had a dramatic point in the program. In her Black Swan and Samson & Delilah programs she had those moments. I know some were not a fan of this, but I always enjoyed Ashley's dramatic arms in her spiral sequence for Black Swan.
    I agree, that was really the breakthrough program for Ashley, the first time that she stood out as an artist. And those arms will be her signature for a long time, I loved them. I do think she in general quite good with choreography, her SP this season works very well. I still hold out hope that her LP will look much better, she just needs to get more comfortable with it and add the details.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Where did you get that idea? Ashley had said she is trying to portray "bedroom Juliet." What social tension?
    Oh I never knew she said that But from the excerpts that she has taken, they seem to come from the market place/fight scenes (if I remember correctly!)

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I just wish she'd use the Dance of the Knights for its and footwork potential.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    But that wouldn't be bedroom Juliet!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Of course it could be with appropriate vampy choreography. It doesn't have to involve the knights.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    ^ Wait did the ISU implement that hair cutter rule this season all of a sudden?
    The haircutter rule has been long-standing but this season since Ashley's been spinning a bit slower she's adopting this easier haircutter where there is a big gap between her blade and her head. It was closer last season, hence getting credit for it last season. Either way, it's an easy fix!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy123 View Post
    But that wouldn't be bedroom Juliet!
    Bedroom Juliet was a mistake to begin with. Ashley is just too strong-looking to pull off an "I cant live without my Romeo" suicide. I can see her looking at his dead body and going, "Well, YOU can throw away your life if you want to, but dont drag me into it." And then doing a 2A-3T to express her will to live. In fact perhaps they should rewrite the story ending as they used to do in the theater and cut to "I Will Survive." It would make the audiences ecstatic. In fact, the whole thing should be disco-R&J.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    After the Short Programs at Skate Canada, Gracie finished in first place with a score of 69.45.

Courtney Hicks, sadly, did not fare anywhere close to that, finishing in last place with a score of 50.70 (she botched her combination, doing a 2z-2t, and her skating had nowhere near the attack we've previously seen from her.

vCash
    Meanwhile Gao is firmly in 4th and some 12 points ahead of Hicks. It's going to be a very exciting Nationals.

I see that Carroll had Gold hold her moves longer which is nice to see. I hope he will also have her take out some weird movements in that short program but overall it's a nice performance and the program isn't as bad as in practice when she turned it on. BTW I hope no one makes a big deal out of the fact that Gold scored more than Wagner did last week. It's a different competition! And Wagner hasn't maxed out her spin points yet!

Gao's program is still lovely and she is stunning on ice. Let's hope her other triples are back.

Hicks has the potential to giant leap in the free but those PCS are not encouraging.

vCash
    I'm a little perturbed that Suzuki is only ~2 points above Gold in PCS. Suzuki should be much huger in IN, CH, and PE. Wagner scored less than 3 points more at SA, too, though I know it's difficult to compare.

Hopefully, this competition will put an end to the Hicks hype that was surged recently. I hope she develops in time, but it's a shame that Cesario's Carmen will struggled to be in the final flight, while Hicks is likely to deliver her mediocre interpretation of Evita. A 6th and 4CC trip with Cesario and Gao would be nice, and maybe these PCS scores - though they went up in the free - will encourage some hard work on that department over the summer.

Fingers crossed Suzuki battles back later; Suzuki-Lip-Gold would be ideal.

EDIT: FS turned out as I has hoped in essence... Not as worried about Gold's PCS, though I do think they should be closer to GAO than Suzuki.
    Last edited by JJS5056; 10-26-2013 at 09:34 PM.

vCash
    Also, these fields of 8 are depressing. Something must be done re: replacements.

vCash
    What a disappointing SC event in all disciplines imho.

And GG proved she's no lock at Nationals. Once again she couldn't put together two clean programs. I think her time is *after* the Olympics, when the pressure is off.

Courtney is still my dark horse pick, but she's letting the limelight get to her a bit. However, the lovely Christina Gao could just sneak in and take it all.

Wagner, imho, is the only real all-around skater amongst them all.

That said, Yuna Kim might as well stay home, Tara Lipinski #2 (aka Julia L.) is looking to be an Olympic Champion in her home country of Russia. Therefore silver for Yuna, and the bronze is up for grabs, however I think once again the Americans will come home empty-handed. Ooops, except maybe for the Team Event, they can sneak in and grab the bronze if extremely lucky. jmho.

Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast