Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    I beg to differ, she was successful with him, as the following post I posted in the main forum verifies:

Well to clarify the difference between GG (whom I didn't agree with when she swtiched coaches) versus Agnes Z. (whom I do agree with) is #1 the latter is going back to her original coach, the one with whom she became the 2010 Jr. National Champion, 2010 Jr. World Silver Medalist, and 2011 Sr. National Pewter Medalist.

Here's hoping going back to her original stomping grounds (figure of speech) and original coach will help Agnes attain a bit of consistency and self-confidence.

Also Max Aaron has the same coach, and skating on the same ice with him can only be encouraging and motivating. jmho.

ps: not to be ungrateful, I think David Santee and Christy Kall did wonders for Agnes in terms of her being the full package. I loved the "look" she had while with them.
    To be honest, though, that was all when she had absolutely no expectations. Suddenly, though after all of that, many people were looking at her as the next big star and that's when she was hit with a lot of pressure. Ever since her skate at 2010 Junior Nationals and 2010 Junior Worlds, she hasn't put in one decent LP performance as a senior. Not when she was under Tom Zzzz or Krall as a senior.

vCash
    I prefer to see the glass as half full, not half empty, and on that score I wish ALL the ladies much luck, and may they all rise to the occasion and may the best one(s) win!

citius, altius, fortius!

vCash
    2013-14 U.S. Ladies

Top International Scores (through 10/12/13)
    1. Karen CHEN, JGP Slovakia (179.08)
    2. Courtney HICKS, U.S. Classic (171.88)
    3. Polina EDMUNDS, JGP Mexico (171.21)
    4. Gracie GOLD, U.S. Classic (164.68)
    5. Mirai NAGASU, Finlandia Trophy (164.51)
    6. Amber GLENN, JGP Czech Republic (164.18)

7. Ashley CAIN, Nebelhorn Trophy (162.39)
    8. Samantha CESARIO, U.S. Classic (157.29)
    9. Angela WANG, JGP Czech Republic (155.87)
    10. Mariah BELL, JGP Mexico (153.17)
    11. Christina GAO, Nepela Trophy (152.84)
    12. Vanessa LAM, Finlandia Trophy (152.28)

13. Agnes ZAWADZKI, U.S. Classic (151.27)
    14. Barbie LONG, JGP Slovakia (148.19)
    15. Tyler PIERCE, JGP Estonia (143.91)
    16. Yasmin SIRAJ, JGP Latvia (142.32)
    17. Hannah MILLER, JGP Estonia (128.20)

Upcoming events:
    • Skate America: CESARIO, Ashley WAGNER, Caroline ZHANG
    • Coupe de Nice: Kiri BAGA, Rachael FLATT
    • Skate Canada: GAO, GOLD, HICKS
    • Cup of China: ZAWADZKI
    • NHK Trophy: GOLD, NAGASU
    • Trophee Bompard: CESARIO, GAO, WAGNER
    • Ice Challenge: TBD
    • Rostelecom Cup: NAGASU, ZAWADZKI
    • JGP Final: CHEN, EDMUNDS
    • GP Final: TBD

vCash
    Thanks, chipso1!

FS scores of 100+ this season (internationally):
    119.77 Ashley Wagner (Japan Open, 3rd)
    117.08 Courtney Hicks (SLC)
    114.62 Karen Chen (JGP SVK) - JR in the U.S.
    113.43 Polina Edmunds (JGP MEX)
    110.50 Mirai Nagasu (Finlandia)
    109.38 Samantha Cesario (SLC)
    107.34 Amber Glenn (JGP CZE) - JR in the U.S.
    106.19 Gracie Gold (SLC)
    104.52 Ashley Cain (Nebelhorn)
    103.26 Mariah Bell (JGP MEX)
    100.70 Christina Gao (Nepela)
    100.63 Barbie Long (JGP SVK)

SP scores of 50+ this season (internationally):
    64.46 Karen Chen (JGP SVK)
    61.41 Angela Wang (JGP CZE)
    58.49 Gracie Gold (SLC)
    57.87 Ashley Cain (Nebelhorn)
    57.78 Polina Edmunds (JGP MEX)
    56.84 Amber Glenn (JGP CZE)
    56.31 Vanessa Lam (Finlandia)
    56.27 Agnes Zawadzki (SLC)
    54.80 Courtney Hicks (SLC)
    54.01 Mirai Nagasu (Finlandia)
    52.14 Christina Gao (Nepela)
    51.70 Yasmin Siraj (JGP LAT)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-13-2013 at 04:29 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Re-posting from the 2013 Skate America forum in Kiss and Cry - last week's media teleconferences (audio) are up on IN: Ashley Wagner (19:29)

Wagner's latest blog updates: http://ashwagner2010.tumblr.com/

From the beginning of the latest "Inside Edge" blog by Sarah and Drew (link is posted in the "Evening with Champions" show thread in GSD):
    Ashley Wagner has staked out a lot of territory on the best-dressed list over the last two years, so we were eager to see the new costume for her Romeo and Juliet free skate. At the Japan Open, it was a mango baby-doll cut with gold Renaissance-style embroidery on the bodice. Wagner tweeted that the dress was a work in progress, so we asked her where it would be going.

"I'm trying out a couple of different things to see what I like best," she said. "I wanted something that was very romantic and something similar to what they did in the ballet, with empire waists and really light, flowy dresses. I wanted to adjust a couple of things from Japan Open to see if I could really be sold on it. I liked the overall look, [but] it doesn't have as much body as a typical skating costume."

Wagner said she would be playing with different cuts and possibly different colors.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-15-2013 at 08:23 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Ah, I absolutely adore that wonderful bit of info. about Ashley's costumes! Seriously, I *cannot* wait to see them!

As an aside, I'm a fan of R&J, and Shakespeare in general, so to have Ashley skate to it during the Olympic season is a gift.

vCash
    Ashley Wagner has staked out a lot of territory on the best-dressed list over the last two years, so we were eager to see the new costume for her Romeo and Juliet free skate. At the Japan Open, it was a mango baby-doll cut with gold Renaissance-style embroidery on the bodice. Wagner tweeted that the dress was a work in progress, so we asked her where it would be going.
    Oh honey, no. No gold in your dress at the 'Lympics
    Get a blue dress, BLUE!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Cross-posting from the Kiss and Cry forum and the U.S. Men's thread in GSD... Here's a pre-Skate America article on Wagner (and why she and Rippon must speak for Rafael Arutunian): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/10/16/63016604

I forgot to post this two-part Sept. 20 article on Wagner by the Seattle Figure Skating Examiner blog: http://www.examiner.com/article/excl...control-part-1
    http://www.examiner.com/article/excl...control-part-2

Short article on Wagner, published today: http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-li...sweet-home-ice

ETA that I bumped up Ashley Wagner's espnW thread in GSD with her first blog post of the new season ("Bring on Skate America!"): http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-li...-skate-america
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-16-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Get a blue dress, BLUE!
    Burgundy or Cream for Juliet.

vCash
    Prokofiev is the darkest of all R&Js, I would have liked something black, deep purple, indigo, and/or charcoal. The current costume is too "nice".

vCash
    Get a blue dress, BLUE!
    Lol this reminds me of Cecilia Colledge's predicament at the 1936 Olympics when she wanted to wear a gold dress for her FS against Sonja Henie, but her mother made her wear silver, which she always regretted, saying how could one win gold when wearing silver.

ETA: ooops I mean she wanted to wear her favorite "little green velvet dress", not gold, here's an article about it: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/24/sp...edge.html?_r=0
    Last edited by NadineWhite; 10-17-2013 at 12:44 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Prokofiev is the darkest of all R&Js, I would have liked something black, deep purple, indigo, and/or charcoal. The current costume is too "nice".
    I agree, something a little darker would suit the music better and show her off more.

I can live with anything as long as she gets rid of the nightgown flowing lower part because it does not flatter her and it does nothing for skating in general. Her beautiful back lines would be better shown off in a fitted dress

vCash
    Get a blue dress, BLUE!
    Dark blue, I'd add, as light blue was not enough in 1998

vCash
    royal blue and gold, please!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Looks like Ashley might change her Romeo and Juliet dress. I hope she did indeed bring something else to Skate America. She can do a lot better than what she had at Japan Open. I want to see something more embellished and dramatic! Especially for the Olympic season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    Looks like Ashley might change her Romeo and Juliet dress. I hope she did indeed bring something else to Skate America. She can do a lot better than what she had at Japan Open. I want to see something more embellished and dramatic! Especially for the Olympic season.
    Not sure what that icenetwork article said but in Detroit she has told media several times it's the same dress, with alteration for sleeker fit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    Not sure what that icenetwork article said but in Detroit she has told media several times it's the same dress, with alteration for sleeker fit.
    Oh, that's disappointing. In the article she mentions playing with different cuts and colors, so I was hoping we'd see that at SA. Oh well.

vCash
    Meh, forget the costume...

The program itself seemed, to me, to be a bit bare and lacking (by 2012-13 Wagner standards).

vCash
    Yeah, I agree with RD, not one of her masterpieces like "The Black Swan" or "Somewhere in Time", but it's okay and as long as she skates clean she should have no problemo with winning her 3rd National Title, which I totally agree with. Reason: Ashley has it all and always has, since she first debuted at Seniors so long ago, 2008.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Meh, forget the costume...

The program itself seemed, to me, to be a bit bare and lacking (by 2012-13 Wagner standards).
    I like the dress but would like to see a slimmer fit. However, I agree with RD. Both her SP and FS are not as good choreographically as her previous two seasons. I was taken aback when she announced a split from Philip Mills but now am truly regretting this happened. He really did impart a special quality to her programs that is now, IMO, lacking. And this, during the Oly season. She does seem to have benefited from Rafael's coaching, so there's that.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast