Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Link to the thread in GSD with photos of Wagner, Gold and Zawadzki from the USOC Olympic media summit earlier this week: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...media-coverage
    Thanks, Vagabond - I will cross-post your link in the GSD thread.
    I don't know how it is possible to take 2 less attractive photos of 2 beautiful girls?
    Ashley's position is terrible and so unattractive with multiple skin rolls, really? She is so fit not fat and this picture does not serve her. She needed someone other than the photographer & USFS to proof that photo!
    Gracie's photo not much better with hair in the eyes, robot hands and bright red lipstick? Why? I know she is trying to look older but ???
    The other sports spots are so clever. I am disappointed.

vCash
    GOOD LUCK TO MISS MIRAI NAGASU AT FINLANDIA TROPHY IN 3 DAYS TIME (kick a** & take names)!!!

vCash
    I think Angela Wang's name should be tossed into the hat of potential Sochi contenders, her SP today was just great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHD9P8t3to0

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    ^^^ 61.41 is a new ISU PB SP score for Angela! She landed 2A, 3Lz+3T & 3Lo today. She finished 2nd in a strong field.

Amber Glenn (56.84; 3F+3T, 3Lo, 2A) did great in her Team USA debut, placing 4th: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Yvv6fzKgg She will turn 14 later this month.

ETA that Christina Gao scored 52.14 at Nepela (3T+3T, 2A, 3Lo< fall) and is less than 4 points from 1st after the SP.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-03-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    I think Angela Wang's name should be tossed into the hat of potential Sochi contenders, her SP today was just great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHD9P8t3to0
    ITA. That was totally awesome. Last year, it was her skating skills - the soft knees and nice edges - that stood out. This year, she also has command, presence and power. I think this is perhaps the best SP of a US lady so far this year. Kudos for her on clean SP two competitions in a row, this time with the 3-3...the clean SP was her nemesis last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Commenting on Ashley Wagner's program at the Japan Open (you can see it on YouTube). Jumps and jump technique look great and really promising, her 2A isn't even the same jump and 3-3 looks significantly better than it did in competition last year.

There's something missing though, and it's her skating skills. I love the footwork and moments David has choreographed into the program but Ashley's skating is weaker than it has been in the past. She needs to work on more speed and more reach in her crossovers so that speed will be effortlessly and powerful.

And I personally think she needs to redo the bottom half of her dress. It looks like a nightgown and that's not good ever. The top is nice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post

And I personally think she needs to redo the bottom half of her dress. It looks like a nightgown and that's not good ever. The top is nice
    Ashley tweeted something about "dress drama" and her dress being a "work in progress" so I bet this isn't the final version.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Disappointed for Angela Wang (5th place overall; no Final for her this year) but happy for Amber Glenn winning bronze (164.18 total, 1.5 points from the silver) in her JGP debut in a tough field! Glenn's FS (107.34): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNW7INXjPKU

Amber Glenn's Team USA bio (new link): http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/profile/amber_glenn
    She is competing Junior again in the U.S. this season (J5 at 2013 Nationals) and has a bye through SW Regionals due to the timing of her JGP.

Not a great FS by Christina Gao yesterday but she won the bronze at Nepela Trophy (152.84 total).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-05-2013 at 05:37 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Commenting on Ashley Wagner's program at the Japan Open (you can see it on YouTube). Jumps and jump technique look great and really promising, her 2A isn't even the same jump and 3-3 looks significantly better than it did in competition last year.

There's something missing though, and it's her skating skills. I love the footwork and moments David has choreographed into the program but Ashley's skating is weaker than it has been in the past. She needs to work on more speed and more reach in her crossovers so that speed will be effortlessly and powerful.

Am I the only person who doesn't like Ashley's new LP? There's literally nothing going on and it never really builds at all. David Wilson normally does better work than this and has a good eye for music selections so I'm a bit disappointed by this. This program doesn't really highlight her strengths at all.

I'm also a little bit worried that her jumps were being underrotated... About half the jumps in the program were about a quarter turn short. But some of the jumps do look higher and better though (namely the flip and axel).

And I'm surprised she went for a 3-3 in the LP when she told Dave and Jenny emphatically that she would never do a 3-3 in the LP... Interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Am I the only person who doesn't like Ashley's new LP? There's literally nothing going on and it never really builds at all. David Wilson normally does better work than this and has a good eye for music selections so I'm a bit disappointed by this. This program doesn't really highlight her strengths at all.
    I'm going to give it time, but upon an initial viewing I felt the same way.

vCash
    Lol and poor Irinia, she's still stuck in the old days! There's no more spiral sequence requirement anymore, Irina! And the spiral must come after the step sequence!

vCash
    I think part of the problem for Wagner is that she lacks presence and strength in this program. Last year, when she took the ice, she commanded one's attention with her confidence. But here, she's just (mostly) sort of smiling, pretty princess, skating around (although the program DOES have moments that lend themselves to "power" skating). She's just sort of "there" on the ice, not making much of an impression on me as a viewer.

It is still early in the season. She needs to get the jumps down, get comfortable with the 3-3, and then the rest should come naturally.
    Last edited by RD; 10-05-2013 at 11:23 PM.

vCash
    ^ Hopefully... On the other hand, I am very happy with Mirai. Her SP at Finlandia was great! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NGb5JW9wh8&noredirect=1

I wonder what's with the low score though. I don't think it was worth only a 54. The 3-3 probably got a < and her landing on the loop was off, but everything else was great. The spins are almost up to the level they were in 2010! And I'm glad they got rid of that horrible combo spin she had before. This new one is so much better.

vCash
    Mirai wasn't credited with any triples, that's why her TES was so low. Her PCS was basically in a tie for 3rd with Liza.

The quality of the youtube vides I've seen of the top 6 SPs there show quite a few questionable jumps, rotation wise, but she's the only one they take a microscope to

I hope she comes out swinging. Everything else looks fabulous!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    I agree, she looked great. I don't get all the calls and only on her. lol Yes the toe loop for sure was a downgrade but the rest... I think she took the score in stride and will work from it and have a strong LP regardless if she get more phantom under-rotation calls.

vCash
    Amber Glenn has improved a ton. Watching her skating at nationals last year, all I could think about was that she was incredibly sloppy, even with some nice jumps. She's clearly worked very hard, and she did a great job today!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Well on first watch I thought the music hurt my ears and I thought the program built to nothing. After many views, I like all the music until the end (I don't like the music choices after the last triple flip), and I love the music going into the first loop and lutz. I still think that the program doesn't build to anything, however, and that is a problem. I think it will get much better with more mileage, but I wish the end of the program was more fulfilling. I also REALLY wish Ashley would do a beautiful arabesque spiral instead of that generic and unappealing grab in the choreo sequence, she also needs to skate faster into it! We all know Ashley has a wonderful spiral, but she's not making good use of it unfortunately.

All in all, I don't love the LP, but I like a lot of what she's trying to do, and I don't dislike it. The program has a ton of choreography and she's mostly rising to the occasion imo, good for her!

vCash
    I think Prokofiev takes some getting used to. I love that Ashley is portraying a more dramatic version of R&J!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Mirai wasn't credited with any triples, that's why her TES was so low. Her PCS was basically in a tie for 3rd with Liza.

The quality of the youtube vides I've seen of the top 6 SPs there show quite a few questionable jumps, rotation wise, but she's the only one they take a microscope to

I hope she comes out swinging. Everything else looks fabulous!
    She's famous for touching down w/ the toe of her landing foot pointed and she kind of 'swirls' out of the landing w/ the rest of her blade. I hope that description works and I'm describing what I see in my head! Unfortunately, the judges know exactly what to look for and hone right in on it. I tried to get a look at her landings of the 3 triples in slo-mo, but couldn't really get a good view of her landing foot. Now, I only had time to watch her and Vanessa Lam, so I didn't see the other gals but if indeed others are getting the benefit of the doubt and she's getting nailed, that's a little unfair.

I hold out hope because something similar was happening to her last season; she was UR'ing quite a bit up thru CoC last year, but by NHK, she was getting full credit for 3t-3t, and she had been doing a nice 2x-3t all along. You can tell Mirai is in really good shape (Amy must be really drilling her w/ off-ice training). She looks relatively more involved in her programs at any time I've seen her since the '10- ' 11 season, and UR's aside, she's in command of the performance. So, after all that, when I see that 54.01 pop up, I feel really bad for her! I hope she doesn't let it get to her, that it pisses her off, and she attacks even more!

Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast