Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Has Polina skated a senior program? Aren't those longer?

vCash
    Yes, 30 seconds longer.

Polina Edmunds' Senior FS at the Glacier Falls club competition in early August (117.23 FS, 173.60 total and 2nd to Hicks): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQtJu38VstI
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Thank you, Sylvia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Is Polina competing at Nationals in Boston as a Senior? If so, and she continues to deliver, I could see her (as I did at the end of last season for her) as a contender for the third spot on the Oly Team.

Yeah yeah, I know, Courtney blahblahjumpcakes, but Polina is a much more aesthetically appealing skater, and should she kill it at the JGPF and at Nats, I'd much rather see her in Sochi than Courtney's posture and lumbering across the ice with her damned over-the-boot tights that make her feet look like cinder blocks.

Lol I'm a fan of Courtney's but your post made me LOL, especially the part bolded in black.

Title-less
    vCash
    I do think Courtney needs to improve her carriage and posture. That said, I don't think she needs to be a princessy skater though. She can aspire to be a US Slutskaya

vCash
    Cain is such a revelation. Beautiful skating, wonderful basics, elegant posture, great musicality, killer edge jumps. Kudos on her medal and on recovering after the opening fall to skate such a solid performance. I hope she gets another assignment! (did she quit pairs to focus on singles?)

Happy for Hicks! Hope she gets another assignment too!

Edmunds rotated those jumps much better this time and the overall package was lovely.

Wow US has so much depth even without Wagner, Gold, Nagasu and Gao.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Cain is such a revelation. Beautiful skating, wonderful basics, elegant posture, great musicality, killer edge jumps. Kudos on her medal and on recovering after the opening fall to skate such a solid performance. I hope she gets another assignment! (did she quit pairs to focus on singles?)
    I thought Josh. Reagan quit on her?
    I'm glad you enjoyed Cain. IMHO she has some of the best basics among top US ladies. I've seen her live earlier in September in Houston and she blew me away with her deep knee bend and her power. I did see her practising her lutz and triple triple that time, and I remember lots of < . She changed the program before she skated because she had so much trouble with the lutz. If she could somehow get more height in her toe pick jumps she'd be a contender.

vCash
    New Q&A with Christina Gao: http://figureskatersonline.com/news/...lympic-season/
    Excerpt:
    You participated in the Skate for Hope, the annual breast cancer awareness fundraising event held in Columbus, Ohio in June. What was it like for you to return to your home state?

I love skating in Ohio. It is always nice to return home. It was also my first time performing in the Skate for Hope. The show also meant a lot to me personally. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. She is on her way to recovery and has since returned back to work. It was really hard for me especially since my mom was going to chemotherapy in Ohio and I was in Boston. Because the Skate for Hope was in Ohio, my mom got to attend. My mom doesnít get to watch me live a lot, so I wanted to do a special show program for her. My mom wanted me to skate to Josh Grobanís ďYou Raise Me Up.Ē So I put together a program for that song. I canít even put into words what it meant for me to skate for my mom.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    IMHO she has some of the best basics among top US ladies. I've seen her live earlier in September in Houston and she blew me away with her deep knee bend and her power. I did see her practising her lutz and triple triple that time, and I remember lots of < . She changed the program before she skated because she had so much trouble with the lutz. If she could somehow get more height in her toe pick jumps she'd be a contender.
    She really does. The more I watch her the more I love her skating. Every aspect of it.

Can't wait to see how she and Karen Chen develop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    ITA. That quote from Christina brought tears to my eyes.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    ^^^ Yes, I think that was the first time Christina Gao mentioned her mother's breast cancer diagnosis in a print interview.

Ashley Wagner tweeted yesterday:
    "New post up on my blog, a quick bit about costume design. Check it out!!" http://ashwagner2010.tumblr.com
    She is scheduled to attend the USOC's Olympic Media Summitt in Park City, Utah, starting tomorrow - link to the event thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...media-coverage

vCash
    Per mirai being tagged in fb, she competed in a club competition in San Diego and won. Anyone know of it, her score, how she did, or videos? Sophia Adams was a medalist

ETA 2013 West Coast Championship. cant find protocols
    Last edited by icellist; 09-30-2013 at 03:04 AM.

vCash
    IIRC, I've never seen results, let alone protocols, published online for the West Coast club comp. Someone sent me a photo just of the Senior Ladies SP results and Mirai placed 1st of 4 with 58.39 (32.67 TES, 25.72 PCS). That's all I know. I hope she and Vanessa Lam will compete well in Finland this coming week and ditto for Christina Gao at Nepela Trophy in Slovakia, and Angela Wang and Amber Glenn (her Team USA debut!) at the JGP in Ostrava CZE.

ETA on 9/30: I'm told Mirai won the small club comp.: "Skated well, popped a loop."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-30-2013 at 05:21 PM.

vCash
    ((Christina&mom))--->

vCash
    Lovely heartbreaking article about Christina Gao (shades of Oksana Baiul).

I saw her skate live last year at Skate America and I have to be honest and say in person she's powerful, consistent, and hit every single jump. She outskated Ashley Wagner imho. BUT, the only thing she is lacking is *personality* on ice. Therein lies the difference between her & Ashley Wagner at that particular competition.

Christina, imho, has to come out of her shell and show some personality on ice. If everybody skated their absolute best and landed the same jumps, et al, the difference between the victor and the loser is all about how they present themselves, their personality, how they skated their number. Same goes for any sport, even ballet.

I've often wondered the above scenario happening with Mirai, Mao, and Yuna Kim. Say they skated the exact same way, same number of jumps landed, power, speed, et al. Well then the winner would be the one that showed the most personality, and imho it would be a contest between Mirai versus Yuna. I'd hate to be a judge on the panel.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    If everybody skated their absolute best and landed the same jumps, et al, the difference between the victor and the loser is all about how they present themselves, their personality, how they skated their number. Same goes for any sport, even ballet.
    But skaters seldom land the same jumps, because some US skaters flutz and therefore can only do one of them in the long program. In the short they do no flutz; they tend to do a flip combo or a loop combo or a 3t/3t. OTOH, skaters like Gracie who has a lutz can try two of them in the long program.

That in addition to these ladies not being equally good at spins, footwork, etc.

The tech base will be different for all the top ladies

vCash
    Lol I forgot to include in my prior post the word "fantasy".

I meant in some fantastical scenario wherein those three (whom have the same body types imho) were to skate the exact same program with equal number of jumps, speed, power, rotation, spins, et al. Well then the only difference would be *personality*. Therein lies the difference between all three, and that alone will decide the victor. jmho.

Btw, personality doesn't have to be outlandish, it can be as subtle as winter changing the trees, or the foliage in the woods. But the one thing it must convey is emotion, so the audience, the judges, feel it. Just my humble opinion as always.

Now back to the thread, I honest to God hope Christina Gao comes roaring back this Olympic season with a program that will blow everyone away and alas BE NOTICED!

vCash
    US Winter Olympic team warm-ups Ė in pictures

The first photograph is a wonderful portrait of Gracie Gold. There are also photos of Max Aaron and Evan Lysacek.

vCash
    Link to the thread in GSD with photos of Wagner, Gold and Zawadzki from the USOC Olympic media summit earlier this week: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...media-coverage
    Thanks, Vagabond - I will cross-post your link in the GSD thread.

Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast