Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    . She made a name for herself as a JUNIOR lady, which like never happens, when her jump consistency, family media promotions, and a variety of convenient occurrences happening at the same time allowed her to be a top lady before she even competed as a senior at Nationals.
    True, the PR machine was working overtime...................

vCash
    I would say finishing in the silver medal position at your first Senior U.S. Nationals and winning the free skate in a deep and talented, experienced field and then capping it off with a solid sixth place finish at your first Senior World Championships beating some very big talents, including very talented Russian and Canadian skaters is pretty impressive. Not to mention, beating the US Champion in the free at Worlds and FINALLY securing 3 US ladies spots in time for the Olympics in combination with the US Champion. Oh and delivering good performances at Team Trophy to assist a Gold Medal win for the U.S. Gracie very much lived up to my expectations in her very first year as a Senior ladies competitor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    She made a name for herself as a JUNIOR lady, which like never happens, when her jump consistency, family media promotions, and a variety of convenient occurrences happening at the same time allowed her to be a top lady before she even competed as a senior at Nationals.
    "Her Grace" is 100% correct. If anything, inconvenient occurrences conspired to help Gold make her name. Sure, she put a video of her jumps up on YouTube, but that was more than counterbalanced by the International Committee denying her JGP assignments, because she had not competed at nationals the prior season. This despite her consistently defeating the competition in summer events and posting by far the highest scores. Imagine for a moment that Russia had a junior lady consistently landing clean triple-triples and defeating other junior ladies in non-qualifying events -- would she be held back because she didn't have a good nationals six months' prior, while those other juniors were put on the JGP? It was this disparity that led to the clamor to 1. finally assign her a JGP at the end of the series and 2. built up anticipation for 2012 nationals.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Gracie is hardly the first skater the USFS has promoted as "the next big thing" as a junior. Zawadski, Nagasu and Zhang quickly come to mind as other recent examples.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnskater View Post
    I would say finishing in the silver medal position at your first Senior U.S. Nationals and winning the free skate in a deep and talented, experienced field and then capping it off with a solid sixth place finish at your first Senior World Championships beating some very big talents, including very talented Russian and Canadian skaters is pretty impressive. Not to mention, beating the US Champion in the free at Worlds and FINALLY securing 3 US ladies spots in time for the Olympics in combination with the US Champion. Oh and delivering good performances at Team Trophy to assist a Gold Medal win for the U.S. Gracie very much lived up to my expectations in her very first year as a Senior ladies competitor.
    Gold did great to finish sixth at Worlds. But she was held up at Nationals especially in the SP. She and Wagner were going to Worlds no matter what anyone else did imo. I wasn't impressed with her at Nationals at all.

vCash
    ITA, those two isolated events/skates/outcomes were very impressive for a first-year senior lady. I was not denying that Gracie has been impressive the past couple seasons, absolutely she has. I was saying she was not CONSISTENT last season, which is also true. Salt Lake City - not so great, Skate Canada - meltdown, Cup of Russia - pretty good and impressive silver medal, Nationals - meltdown of a SP, incredible FS, impressive silver overall, 4CC - another meltdown, Worlds - pretty good showing and impressive score/6th place finish, WTT - very good showing and scores (esp. FS), helped her team to the win. And now this season she started on a low note at Salt Lake City.

When Gracie has been good, she has been quite good, my point was, last season, for as many times we saw her skate really well, we saw her skate quite poorly a comparable number of times. Inconsistency is not the same as just failing to live up to her hype, the issue is sometimes she DOES and it's like WOW, but then usually, she'll skate again and it won't go well and the result is frustrating/confusing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Gracie is hardly the first skater the USFS has promoted as "the next big thing" as a junior. Zawadski, Nagasu and Zhang quickly come to mind as other recent examples.
    And look how they have all turned out so far....

Anyways, my point being, Edmunds could have been sent to a JGP last season, could have been sent to JW after winning Nationals, and maybe would have been able to win silver at JW like Gracie did (at least bronze probably), and could have been sent to WTT like Gracie was in 2012. But she wasn't. And she had competed at Nationals the season before and was skating well over the summer. Had she been given those opportunities and did well like Gracie did when she was given those opportunities, Edmunds could be USFS' little darling right now, too. There was definitely some great opportunities being thrown Gracie's way in 2011-2012, and that season, she made the most of them and that was a huge factor in her rise to stardom. But there are a lot of other talented ladies that have not been given those kinds of opportunities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Gold did great to finish sixth at Worlds. But she was held up at Nationals especially in the SP. She and Wagner were going to Worlds no matter what anyone else did imo. I wasn't impressed with her at Nationals at all.
    You consider a 10th place finish in the short program being "held up"?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Polina Edmunds' competition performances in the summer of 2012 were not as consistent as Gold's the year before -- they have different strengths and weaknesses and their situations are not really comparable, IMO. In any case, I think Edmunds' development is right on track and I hope she skates well in Belarus next week and makes the JGP Final.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    She shouldn't have received full credit for the 3t in her combination. Look at the blade when it touches down, it's 180 degrees short.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    You consider a 10th place finish in the short program being "held up"?
    Considering her performance yes. Keep in mind this is a skater (atleast based if scoring was accurate) who relies completely on doing her jumps well.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Considering her performance yes. Keep in mind this is a skater (atleast based if scoring was accurate) who relies completely on doing her jumps well.
    At COR last year, Gold managed to get level four spins and level three step sequence both in the short and long program. At Skate Canada which she bombed, she managed level four spins and level three step in the long, and two spins out of three were level four in the short. And she got a 52 even with that short

vCash
    Gracie needs to get a handle on her nerves and learn how to compete or she is going to go the way of Mira and Alissa. A potentially great skater who almost always comes up short.

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    . In any case, I think Edmunds' development is right on track and I hope she skates well in Belarus next week and makes the JGP Final.
    Me too!!! Go Polina!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Gracie needs to get a handle on her nerves and learn how to compete or she is going to go the way of Mira and Alissa. A potentially great skater who almost always comes up short.
    and would that be the end of the world? Let's put things in perspective.

vCash
    Well I'm interested in knowing what's going on with Ashley Wagner. I thought she said she was going to try her triple/ triple at some of the summer competitions. Did I miss her? I don't see her name at any competitions I followed.

I know she had to find a new coach, but she should have found time to do a short program somewhere. It's almost time for Skate America.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    In this article/interview from July, Wagner indicated she was not planning to do a summer competition due to her busy schedule: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    My hearsay info is that Wagner landed a 3F+3T in her SP simulation at Champs Camp in late August.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Count me in as one whom is very interested to see what Ashley's been up to! She, more than any other American female skater, is whom I'm most interested in, as I think she has it all (& always has) ~ technical combined with artistry as well as jumps, combos, spins, and innovativeness (love her Tano doubles). Also it doesn't hurt that she's very attractive & photogenic, which will bring in more viewers and sponsors, et al. Jmho.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ASHLEY!!!! (ps: it's a joy to see that she's finally come into her own these past few years; i always said she should've won it all when she first debuted on the senior circuit back in '08)

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Any other hearsay you can share about the other ladies?

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    In this article/interview from July, Wagner indicated she was not planning to do a summer competition due to her busy schedule: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    My hearsay info is that Wagner landed a 3F+3T in her SP simulation at Champs Camp in late August.
    Ashley said last season that she was planning on cutting back on the appearances this season? She wore herself out. Now she is making appearances at the cost of competition experience. I hope this doesn't backfire.

Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast