Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Well congrats to Karen Chen on her SP! That girl is going places in the future!
    How old is Karen Chen? Who is her coach?

vCash
    Karen Chen is 13 and she switched to Tammy Gambill earlier this year: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...=101483&mode=I
    She was coached through 2013 Nationals by Gilley Nicholson and Sherri Krahne-Thomas in San Jose, CA.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Actually, Karen turned 14 last month, she missed being eligible for JGP last season by 2 weeks.

vCash
    ^^^ Yup, I was thinking Karen Chen is 13 by the ISU calendar. I hope she rocks her FS on Saturday!

ETA:
    Hannah Miller has written a short blog entry mostly about her new programs: http://figureskatersonline.com/hanna...ain/fall-2013/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-14-2013 at 05:45 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Karen Chen is 13 and she switched to Tammy Gambill earlier this year: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...=101483&mode=I
    She was coached through 2013 Nationals by Gilley Nicholson and Sherri Krahne-Thomas in San Jose, CA.
    I'm actually really happy that she made the change to Tammy Gambill. One of the things that I knew would hurt Karen in the future was her jump under-rotations and Tammy has done a great job fixing that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I'm actually really happy that she made the change to Tammy Gambill. One of the things that I knew would hurt Karen in the future was her jump under-rotations and Tammy has done a great job fixing that.
    Not to mention that fixing her technique will also aid in Karen keeping her jumps together when she hits the inevitable growth spurt

vCash
    Watched the SLC ladies, pretty underwhelming overall but Hicks skated quite well and Cesario was good too. However, I am confused about "power witch" Gracie Gold? Did she change the theme of her program after it had already been choreographed and her costume designed? Because she was in a pale pink dress with a flowered hairpiece and lace detailing, and the 2nd half of the program is all slow and dancey. I get power witch from the first minute of the music, and then Aurora from the last 3 minutes, if she is trying to portray 2 different characters, maybe a more neutral dress would work better (plain and maybe like light blue or muted purple). Or I'm wondering, maybe the plan was for her to be Aurora all along, and then once she realized that she can't really pull off balletic, pwetty-princess skating, told people she's portraying the power witch instead, because the music does start out all intense, and then just hasn't gotten to changing her costume yet? Idk I'm confused by the program, she either needs to commit to being Carabose (the power witch) all the way through, or Aurora (the princess) all the way through and do her best to come across as graceful and balletic. Anyone else agree? Not digging the split personality program.

Liked the rest of the American girls' FS though, Agnes was really off with the jumps but I love her dress and the program can be good with more mileage and all the jumps. Sam's dress is and she does fit the Carmen mold. Courtney's jumps are exciting so I was just happy to see so many of them landed.

vCash
    JGP update from Kosice, SVK:
    GOLD to Karen Chen (114.62, 2nd in FS): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUUK6g4S4LQ
    5th overall for Barbie Long (100.63, 5th in FS): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Tf_rMV2us

Chen's gold today and bronze in Latvia should qualify her for the JGP Final in Japan in early December.

ETA that Long tested up to Senior late this summer - Midwestern Sectionals is shaping up to be very competitive in both Senior and Junior!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-15-2013 at 01:46 AM.

vCash
    Samantha Cesario LP from '13 US Intl. Classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEuu8RvrZqM

Wow. I'm sold on this girl. Great musicality. If she is able to get a 3-3, watch out

vCash
    Karen Chen is so lovely to watch ... very well-rounded with a precise technique. If all goes well for her with maturity, she should be amazing and a top competitor.

And count me in as a fan of Samantha Cesario too. Loved her programs at Nats this year.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Anybody know why Hicks didn't get a GP assignment? This seems very odd. Other lower place national finishers than her got GPs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Anybody know why Hicks didn't get a GP assignment? This seems very odd. Other lower place national finishers than her got GPs.
    Hicks was #34 on the 2012-13 ISU SB total scores list and therefore wasn't guaranteed a GP invite. As for why she didn't get a SA host pick, some earlier discussion took place on this topic here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3986466

ETA an excerpt from the SLC Ladies FS recap article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/14/60628486
    Hicks' next event is uncertain. As the fourth-place finisher at the 2013 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, she has a bye to the 2014 U.S. Championships. She has not yet received a Grand Prix assignment, although she was named as an alternate to Skate America. Michael said there was a possibility of a second senior B, but that decision is up to U.S. Figure Skating's international selections committee.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-15-2013 at 09:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Watched the SLC ladies, pretty underwhelming overall but Hicks skated quite well and Cesario was good too. However, I am confused about "power witch" Gracie Gold? Did she change the theme of her program after it had already been choreographed and her costume designed? Because she was in a pale pink dress with a flowered hairpiece and lace detailing, and the 2nd half of the program is all slow and dancey. I get power witch from the first minute of the music, and then Aurora from the last 3 minutes, if she is trying to portray 2 different characters, maybe a more neutral dress would work better (plain and maybe like light blue or muted purple). Or I'm wondering, maybe the plan was for her to be Aurora all along, and then once she realized that she can't really pull off balletic, pwetty-princess skating, told people she's portraying the power witch instead, because the music does start out all intense, and then just hasn't gotten to changing her costume yet? Idk I'm confused by the program, she either needs to commit to being Carabose (the power witch) all the way through, or Aurora (the princess) all the way through and do her best to come across as graceful and balletic. Anyone else agree? Not digging the split personality program.
    I had the same reaction. The Carabosse music is pretty jarring for a lady skater, esp one who is dressed like Princess Aurora rushing downstairs for her Sweet 16 party. :/

ETA: I thought Gracie did fine as Aurora (and Lilac?). They should dump the opening music.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Hicks was #34 on the 2012-13 ISU SB total scores list and therefore wasn't guaranteed a GP invite. As for why she didn't get a SA host pick, some earlier discussion took place on this topic here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3986466
    Thanks, that explains a little. The top three spots at nationals are certainly still up for grabs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    They should dump the opening music.
    I actually think they should KEEP the opening music, and redo the rest of the program.

I like the powerful intro, and it fits Gracie's style. She needs to rein in some of the flailing arms a bit, in my opinion. I think you can be an "athletic" skater and do this music (Anna Rechnio and Angela Nikodinov come to mind) but I agree that the cuts are a bit jarring.

I've always loved Samantha Cesario's posture and precision, and think Carmen is a good vehicle for her.

Consider me impressed by Courtney Hicks, too. She has the most ambitious jump content with seven planned triples (including two 3Lz and two 3F), two 2A, and a very backloaded program. I see improvements in posture and holding out moves.

The new costume is flattering too. I think the strapless top and triangular beading give her a longer looking torso, if she gets white boot covers that will help her line even more.
    Last edited by all_empty; 09-16-2013 at 04:02 AM.

vCash
    But the problem w. Gracie's opening music is that anyone familiar with the ballet recognizes it as the evil power witch's music. It is distracting - I was trying to make sense of it in light of the pink dress and all the pretty music that followed. It distracts from Gracie's skating, which is not good. Who knows, she could probably make me forget Carabosse if she skated lights out but why raise the question? They could just use some other bit of dramatic Tchaikovsky. The man was so prolific- there is something for any possible choreographic need!

vCash
    I have been a fan of Samantha for a while and I thought both of her programs were excellent. Fever suits her very nicely and that Carmen FS was wonderful. Great musicality and attitude throughout. You could tell she was a little winded at the end but she held it together on the jumps and continued to perform. I was very impressed with her and I hope she has strong performances in her GPs.

Courtney is growing on me as well. She used to skate like a clunky wind-up toy but she's smoothed out considerably in the last two seasons. I think she still needs work but I see visible improvements to her presentation and musical connection. Both of her programs suit her well and I thought she did very well here.

Gracie...Gracie, Gracie, Gracie. No...just no. The SP is a hot mess of arm flailing confusion and "power witch" is the absolute last thing I think about watching her FS. She needs to head back to the drawing board for both programs b/c they aren't working. Never mind the fact her jumps were MIA (yet again), the programs are what cause the most concern after watching her this weekend. I'm seeing very little improvement right now and I do think these craptacular programs are part of the reason...

They say she's going to be giving Frank a trial run for a week but I'm wondering if that's just a formality...like they already know they want her to go to Frank and so that it doesn't look like Gracie dumped her coach because she wanted to go to Frank, they're calling it a trial run and saying nothing is official. It's going to be interesting to see how this works out.

vCash
    Cesario's skating is dreamy. Fever is perfect for her and while she doesn't quite completely command Carmen yet, I think there are some lovely moments in that program and her timing seems to be spot on. She obviously needs to work on her conditioning and her levels. It would be a total shame to finally have rotated those triples only to lose the same points on spin levels. The DG call on the 3loop3loop in the short is right but what shocks me most is the low PCS. She has much softer edges, more mature presentation and deeper interpretation of the music and shouldn't have wound up with lower PCS than Hicks. I think I would have had her (at least) second overall with higher PCS for her and lower PCS for Gold.

Hicks' skating continues to hurt my soul. At least Slutskaya stretches as much as she could. Just because she landed her jumps doesn't at all justify those PCS. Perhaps her prayer was answered

Gold's programs were all kinds of wrong. The opening stronger scores for Sleeping Beauty was good but the rest doesn't fit her at all. Just all wrong. And the screeching short program music was as bad as Sotkinova's long program music last season. What's up with that? If it's too late to come up with 2 new programs, perhaps she should revert to last season's programs.

Hopefully she has the jitters out of the way now - it's sad to see her land a perfect 3lutz3toe only to pop 3 jumps afterwards. Perhaps she is still relatively inexperienced when it comes to competition and she can't help but let the mistake on the axel get to her for the remainder of the program. She is still very solidly second in the US ladies ranking. But I am sure this outing (the programs and the jumping mess) together with the performances of Zawadzki would allow Wagner some breathing room on top.

vCash
    I think this may be the year that Zawadzki gets dumped at Nationals if she doesn't stay off her butt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I think this may be the year that Zawadzki gets dumped at Nationals if she doesn't stay off her butt
    I agree. I think she has reached put out or get out time.

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast