Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Polina definitely had some underrotated jumps, but I think she's lovely.

She gets good spring on her jumps, so hopefully she can clean up those landings.

I have to disagree about the comparison to the Russian jumping beans, who are all jumps and flexibility moves with no relation to the music. Polina seems to follow the phrasing and her jump entrances aren't *that* telegraphed, IMO. It's a lot of back-to-back jumping, but it is a junior program with lots of elements to cram in.

I think she'll learn to use her long limbs more effectively with time. Lucinda Ruh was also tall and slender but hit beautiful positions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    But I think that he seems to stress out his female skaters. Michelle was more the exception than the rule, imo.
    I was also thinking of Linda Fratianne

vCash
    She has a little Caryn Kadavy resemblance going for her too IMO

vCash
    I think Polina controls her extremely long limbs very well for a 15 year old. She's not nearly as awkward looking as I expected her to be. She has decent awareness of her limbs which reduces the all-over-the-place look most spindly, gangly skaters have.

I do think several of her triples looked very close but apparently she got them around. I do think her coaches need to work on that. We all know once you get a reputation for URing it never goes away. It's better that she cleans that issue up now before she gets to the senior level.

I enjoyed both of her programs. She's much better at listening to the music and delivering the choreography than a number of skaters (*cough* Gracie *cough* Courtney) so if she can get those jumps to look more secure, she could be a darkhorse at this year's nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I think Polina controls her extremely long limbs very well for a 15 year old. She's not nearly as awkward looking as I expected her to be. She has decent awareness of her limbs which reduces the all-over-the-place look most spindly, gangly skaters have.

I do think several of her triples looked very close but apparently she got them around. I do think her coaches need to work on that. We all know once you get a reputation for URing it never goes away. It's better that she cleans that issue up now before she gets to the senior level.

I enjoyed both of her programs. She's much better at listening to the music and delivering the choreography than a number of skaters (*cough* Gracie *cough* Courtney) so if she can get those jumps to look more secure, she could be a darkhorse at this year's nationals.
    Polina is young, has all the triples/combinations, and musicality! A triple threat! Definitely a dark horse, if Nationals were judged fairly......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Polina is young, has all the triples/combinations, and musicality! A triple threat! Definitely a dark horse, if Nationals were judged fairly......
    Unfortunately a fairly judged competition is going to be hard to come by this season because we know what's on the line. If it came down to a choice between Gracie and Polina, 9 times out of 10 the judges are going to choose Gracie because she has senior-level world experience and is already a USFSA pet. Because of that it's going to be really hard for anyone to knock her or Ashley off of the national podium this season. If Ashley and Gracie have strong SPs at nationals this year I expect the scores to be massive; the judges will want to give them that cushion going into the FS just in case they have bad performances. That's going to make it really hard for anyone else to catch up to them in the FS.

So I say all that to say hoping for fairly judged competition is great but I'm not too sure it's going to happen this year... I will be completely shocked if it does happen.

vCash
    Unfortunately a fairly judged competition is going to be hard to come by this season because we know what's on the line. If it came down to a choice between Gracie and Polina, 9 times out of 10 the judges are going to choose Gracie because she has senior-level world experience and is already a USFSA pet. Because of that it's going to be really hard for anyone to knock her or Ashley off of the national podium this season. If Ashley and Gracie have strong SPs at nationals this year I expect the scores to be massive; the judges will want to give them that cushion going into the FS just in case they have bad performances. That's going to make it really hard for anyone else to catch up to them in the FS.

So I say all that to say hoping for fairly judged competition is great but I'm not too sure it's going to happen this year... I will be completely shocked if it does happen.
    I have no doubt that you are right, unfortunately. Look at the judging debacle that occurred this past Nationals...........It's amazing anyone continues to take this sport seriously.........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Polina is not near a Senior podium level skater at this stage in her development. I don't know why this is even being considered

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Re: Edmunds - OMG the fact that she was credited with any more than 3 triples is unfair. 7 TRIPLES IS A TRAVESTY OF TECHNICAL CALLING. Not hating on the skater but that is not okay
    Yeah. Completely! The 3F+3S combo was so visibly UR to the naked eye. The 3Lo was also super shady. No way did she deserved to get those credited.

I like Polina a lot (loved her SP!) but I don't think this kind of technical calling does her any good for the future.

vCash
    Polina is a beautiful skater. The best all around skater in the U.S right now I think. I hope she wins Nationals.

vCash
    Karen killed her SP at JGP Slovakia. She's in the lead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3itl...YuNDX&index=22

Amazing speed, huge jumps.

Also, apparently Gracie Gold is working with a mime...http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...igure-skating/

“It’s sort of a new thing that has been added to my training. … The physical acting is to sort of have that emotion where it seems genuine.”
    She's hiring people to teach her to show emotion so that it seems genuine. Isn't that the same as faking genuine emotion? Okay, I'll just leave that one alone...

vCash
    She's hiring people to teach her to show emotion so that it seems genuine. Isn't that the same as faking genuine emotion? Okay, I'll just leave that one alone...
    In other words, acting.

Here is a lovely example of mime, its not just creeps in parks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    In other words, acting.
    IMO that was a very poor choice of words. Maybe she should have said she's working on her expression. You can fake expression but you can't fake genuine emotion b/c it comes from within. If you're trying to make something seem genuine, it's already fake.

BTW, bad actors fake emotion; great actors find a way to make the emotion real and bring it out in their performance. Skaters who show genuine emotion aren't acting when they skate. They're feeling the music and feeling what they're doing. The emotion they feel is real and that's why it's genuine.

Sorry but that hit a nerve for me. Gracie is not an emotional/artistic/graceful skater; she's a powerhouse with lots of speed and huge jumps. I wish her team would stop trying to make her into something she's not and just embrace who she is as a skater.

vCash
    Karen killed her SP at JGP Slovakia. She's in the lead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3itl...YuNDX&index=22

Amazing speed, huge jumps.
    WOW! That was awesome! Thanks for the link.

O-

vCash
    I suspect Gracie is working with someone the same way Kwan worked with Lori Nichol when Lori taught her to feel and express the music. I thrilled to hear she is aware of her weaknesses and is working hard to improve. IMHO, generally anything new will seem fake for a while, but if she keeps at it, it may get to the point where people will be talking about her genuine emotion and how all those young kids just don't have her natural ability for expressing music.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ohashibiles View Post
    Polina is a beautiful skater. The best all around skater in the U.S right now I think. I hope she wins Nationals.
    Is Frank Carroll Polina's coach?

vCash
    Polina Edmund's primary coach is still David Glynn (her mother is also listed): http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...=101693&mode=I
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I but if she keeps at it, it may get to the point where people will be talking about her genuine emotion and how all those young kids just don't have her natural ability for expressing music.
    Wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. Most of those young kids have more natural ability already....

vCash
    ^^

I get what you mean. I do think it's great she's working at it but at this point, I'm not sure she's meant to be that kind of skater. It doesn't seem natural to her.

Michelle went from puffy sleeves, no makeup and a ponytail to Michelle The Artist performing Romanza and Salome in only one summer. The change seemed drastic but if you go back and compare her performances from 1995 to 1996 the main difference is packaging. They upped the maturity of her music, choreography and costumes and the rest fell in line. Even though Michelle had the ponytail and less mature choreography she was still graceful and expressive in 1995...she was just unrefined. It's easier to smooth out a diamond and make it sparkle than it is to create a diamond from scratch.

Gracie falls into that "from scratch" territory. She's not innately graceful, fluid or expressive in her movements so all of that will have to be taught. I'm glad she's working on trying to show emotion but her comments about making it seem genuine speaks volumes as to where she is in that process. I say go the Tonya/Irina/Midori route and go with programs that play to her power and speed. Can you imagine Gracie skating to a program that drops all pretense of trying to be artistic and just allows her to put her best qualities on display?

vCash
    Well congrats to Karen Chen on her SP! That girl is going places in the future!

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast