Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 1007
  1. #161

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,564
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41646
    Cross-posting this JGP Mexico City update:

    Polina Edmunds' winning FS to Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite (113.43): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcaygaLUVsk
    Mariah Bell's 2nd place FS to the Titanic soundtrack (103.26): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kotmK7RD7s
    Edmunds won the gold (171.21) and Bell the bronze (153.17).

    Edmunds was credited with landing 7 triples (+1 for her opening 3Lz+3T) but had a few shaky landings on others; Bell landed 5 of her 6 planned triples (doubled her second flip).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-08-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  2. #162
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,173
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It is a mystery that all of Edmunds' jumps were called as sufficiently rotated.

  3. #163
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,979
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^ It's a mystery how she even got a 3 sal from a literal standstill on that 3flip-half loop combo...

    Anyways, Polina has really improved since what we saw two years ago, but she has a long ways to go. Her limbs are just way too long and she looks so gangly because of it. Her long limbs also makes everything in her skating and some of her jumps look so awkward. Her coaches and choreographers are going to have to find a way to make them her asset and make her more polished, but it might be hard because Polina isn't exactly the most elegant or artistic skater.

    Her packaging and skating reminds me so much of those tiny Russian jumping beans who can't do anything else except jump.

  4. #164
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    136
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It is a mystery that all of Edmunds' jumps were called as sufficiently rotated.
    I have to agree,I thought several looked UR..or at least cheated
    Nevertheless, good for her to do so well and I hope she along with Karen can give the russian girls a bit of stiff competition this year!

  5. #165
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere, beyond the sea...
    Posts
    1,863
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    There's a rumor over at GSU that supposedly came from TSL that Gracie will be coached by Frank Carroll. Anybody heard anything about this? Any truth to it?

  6. #166

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,353
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3933
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    There's a rumor over at GSU that supposedly came from TSL that Gracie will be coached by Frank Carroll. Anybody heard anything about this? Any truth to it?
    If you watch the 9/8 This and That, they talk about Polina Edmunds working with Frank Carroll a few times a week...then they nonchalantly mention she may get a new training partner....

  7. #167
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,708
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I thought Frank was heading towards retirement? Doesn't make sense to go to someone who wants to retire since i imagine Gracie wants to continue all the way to 2018. It sure would be good for her though because Frank pays attention to the little things that her current coach seems to know nothing about judging by the way she skates sometimes.
    Last edited by Jammers; 09-10-2013 at 07:23 AM.

  8. #168

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,353
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3933
    Many skaters take sessions from Frank , without him becoming their primary coach. Perhaps that's the case with Gracie. I hope so, he has such a great eye for presentation, it could greatly benefit someone like her. She has come so far in the last season or so, but probably needs a more experienced hand in further refining the details. A more experienced hand that is not Zueva, that is, not so impressed with her choices for Gracie.

  9. #169
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,714
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Honestly this is one of the best exhibition programs I have seen since Kwan's era. I hope Mirai can tap into this in her competitive programs. Last year's exhibition was lovely too.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAJ0hMV_PsQ
    I agree this is one of the best exhibition performances since Kwan's era! I love this program and I wish Mirai were doing this for her SP (with necessary technical upgrades of course). I also love her dress! Just gorgeous.

  10. #170
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I thought Frank was heading towards retirement? .
    Frank's been "heading to retirement" for over a decade..............

  11. #171

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Infected with the joy of skating!!
    Posts
    10,544
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14026
    I hope not, she seems to need someone who would calm her down and I don't think Frank's the one for that.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

  12. #172
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,932
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I hope not, she seems to need someone who would calm her down and I don't think Frank's the one for that.
    I'm not so sure about that. In interviews, Evan has stated that FC could always sense when EL was getting nervous and he would 'talk him down'. It seemed to work

  13. #173

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Infected with the joy of skating!!
    Posts
    10,544
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14026
    But I think that he seems to stress out his female skaters. Michelle was more the exception than the rule, imo.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

  14. #174
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,201
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Gracie and Frank would be a great match. It is so obvious that he can give her what she needs.

  15. #175
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    But I think that he seems to stress out his female skaters. Michelle was more the exception than the rule, imo.
    Michelle had nerves of steel.

  16. #176
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    There's a rumor over at GSU that supposedly came from TSL that Gracie will be coached by Frank Carroll. Anybody heard anything about this? Any truth to it?
    what coach did she show up with at SLC?

  17. #177
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,708
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    But I think that he seems to stress out his female skaters. Michelle was more the exception than the rule, imo.
    His female skaters like Mirai were already known for being stressed out and a bit nervous. Sometimes a coach can only do so much. Look at Alissa 26 years old and she still skates with that deer in a headlights look sometimes.

  18. #178

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,158
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4049
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    His female skaters like Mirai were already known for being stressed out and a bit nervous. Sometimes a coach can only do so much. Look at Alissa 26 years old and she still skates with that deer in a headlights look sometimes.
    I dont think you can teach nerves, unfortunately.

  19. #179
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    580
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Cross-posting this JGP Mexico City update:

    Polina Edmunds' winning FS to Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite (113.43): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcaygaLUVsk
    Mariah Bell's 2nd place FS to the Titanic soundtrack (103.26): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kotmK7RD7s
    Edmunds won the gold (171.21) and Bell the bronze (153.17).

    Edmunds was credited with landing 7 triples (+1 for her opening 3Lz+3T) but had a few shaky landings on others; Bell landed 5 of her 6 planned triples (doubled her second flip).
    Re: Edmunds - OMG the fact that she was credited with any more than 3 triples is unfair. 7 TRIPLES IS A TRAVESTY OF TECHNICAL CALLING. Not hating on the skater but that is not okay

  20. #180
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,173
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Re: Edmunds - OMG the fact that she was credited with any more than 3 triples is unfair. 7 TRIPLES IS A TRAVESTY OF TECHNICAL CALLING. Not hating on the skater but that is not okay
    Exactly. And the caller was harsh(er) on Rongo.

Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •