Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Honestly this is one of the best exhibition programs I have seen since Kwan's era. I hope Mirai can tap into this in her competitive programs. Last year's exhibition was lovely too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAJ0hMV_PsQ
    This exhibition is a MUST WATCH!

I loved the spins especially; so appropriate to the music and as anti-COP as you can get.

The On Golden Pond sountrack has always been special to me, as the movie was filmed on the same lake as my summer home, in which I spent each summer (and this past weekend!). Lovely music for Mirai.

vCash
    ^^Definitely the kind of exhibition I like to see. Whoever choreographed that did a great job and Mirai skated it beautifully. I just wish she looked a little more engaged in the program. Sometimes she looked a little blank...

But I have yet to see an exhibition that matched this Kween masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbDkE7-o_DM

vCash
    Honestly this is one of the best exhibition programs I have seen since Kwan's era. I hope Mirai can tap into this in her competitive programs. Last year's exhibition was lovely too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAJ0hMV_PsQ
    Can she please use this as her SP instead of her current one!?!?

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Maybe this can be her own little "East of Eden" and she will eventually have many great variations on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    ^^Definitely the kind of exhibition I like to see. Whoever choreographed that did a great job and Mirai skated it beautifully. I just wish she looked a little more engaged in the program. Sometimes she looked a little blank...
    Agree 100%

I love Mirai and this music, but she had zero expression throughout.

This program looked pieced together to me, there elements aren't that difficult save for that spiral at the end and not choreographically complex.

Michelle's exhibitions were complex and well-realized, even her deceivingly simplistic "East of Eden" exhibition.

By the way, Denise Biellman skated her best pro program to "On Golden Pond" ... a masterpiece: http://youtu.be/lKYQxRteuis (and this is a technical program!)
    Last edited by all_empty; 09-03-2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: ETA: fixed "aren't" typo

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Yep, let attack some more. Never enough of that when Mirai is concerned. You 100% agree with the last 5 words of that post I guess and not the rest. lol

vCash
    It's not "zero" expression. It's a serious program. Every fiber of her being is engaged - heck, the crowd spontaneously applauded her T-stop! - and the emotions she projects are entirely appropriate for the performance.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    It's not "zero" expression. It's a serious program.
    I agree- while her face was generally the same serious look, I wouldn't say it was a no expression program. The expression was through the rest of the body. Without a doubt she conveyed a feeling and got the audience involved.

I think some people believe skaters are only showing expression when they are making cheesy smiles and o faces, though of course, I can't speak for the poster who said Mirai showed no expression.

vCash
    Yep, let['s] [her] attack some more. Never enough of that when Mirai is concerned. You 100% agree with the last 5 words of that post I guess and not the rest. lol
    How was what I wrote an attack? Am I not entitled to my opinion?

I even wrote "I love Mirai" but looks like you missed those 3 words of that post. You're right, perhaps I should've just only quoted the "I just wished" part to really drive home my seething hate for Mirai

I personally didn't see much expression or complexity in this program, especially compare to Biellman or Lisa Nesuda who skated to this same music. That's my opinion.

I think some people believe skaters are only showing expression when they are making cheesy smiles and o faces, though of course, I can't speak for the poster who said Mirai showed no expression.
    Don't patronize me. I could say something catty and true like, "I have watched and know more about skating than you ever will," but I'll refrain from that.

For the record, I *like* Mirai (heck I was even one of the few people rooting for her for the third spot in other threads), never said I *dislike* this program, and am not some krazy Kwan uber.

Lighten up people.

vCash
    ^^ I agree, everyone should lighten up a little. No one was attacking Mirai. The consensus seems to be that the program was nice for some, excellent for others. I loved the simplicity of the choreography. That's what made it so beautiful IMO.

Unfortunately, and it's purely my opinion, I think Mirai's "serious" face looks slightly bored/impassive when she skates. I'm not a fan of fake plastered smiles so that's not what I was looking for. I see the expression in her movement so I know it's there. The delivery is always better when a skater's entire body is integrated into the choreography; not just the steps and arm movements but using the head and face as well. In dance they call it "giving face" and Mirai needs to work on that. Those are the little things that enhance a performance and make a big difference. Mirai had moments where I could see it but for the most part, she didn't look engaged in the performance IMO. She's good at projecting upbeat/happy music but (to me) she's seems a bit detached when she skates to serious/slow music. Obviously not everyone felt that way and that's fine. That's why we call them opinions.

vCash
    Mirai isnt skating to music this season from the clips I saw that request for a happy joyous look. She might just be potraying that particular music correctly is all rather than using fake smile to try and sell.

vCash
    The flip side of it is looking like you're trying too hard...and IMO that's just as bad (if not worse).

I happen to like skaters who project a joy of skating while performing. This doesn't require a particular style - just give it your 110% every time and it'll be clear.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    Don't patronize me. I could say something catty and true like, "I have watched and know more about skating than you ever will," but I'll refrain from that.
    Hey- I specifically said I didn't know if the poster who said no expression agrees with that definition of expression; but many people do.

I really don't give a damn how much skating you've watched. Loved the passive aggressive jab of getting that in while pretending to not say it though. Very fun.

vCash
    Trying to lighten the mood here ... I believe Adam Rippon choreographed "On Golden Pond" for Mirai - he's mentioned as having choreographed show programs for her and Ashley Wagner in this recent article about young choreographers: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/...-choreographer
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-03-2013 at 11:21 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash

Delete

Delete
    Last edited by Iluvid; 09-04-2013 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Delete topic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Vanessa Lam competed and won at Silicon Valley Open last weekend and put up a good combined score of 159.74 (no breakdown of SP & FS scores was provided in the results). Karen Chen won Junior at SVO but with "only" a combined total of 140.07 there (which shows she must be human after all ).
    Karen did not skate well at SVO. In fact I've never seen her skate that poor. Glacier falls was 100 percent better : )

vCash
    The U.S should be given 5 spots for the Olympics. They might not have as good a skater as Kim or Kostner, but they have by far the most depth of any country right now. Even Japan who only has 3 good skaters since Ando isnt realistic going to make even a decent comeback. They have so many wonderful girls who deserve the Olympics and some will be left home.

vCash
    Gracie Gold's latest blog (Sept. 3) is about her 18th birthday and The Ice shows in Japan: http://www.teamusa.org/Team-USA-Wint...Into-Adulthood
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Gracie

vCash
    Re-posting from another thread in the Trash Can:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    I was very impressed with Mariah Bell last season and this season's short program (JGP Mexico) is also very likable (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DClp-Uxfkw). Although we have seen a lot of Flamenco music and fake snappiness and attitude being tossed around over the years, this program is well choreographed and Bell sustains the style and matched the music details in her moves during the entire program. Take any ten-second segment out of the performance and it is recognizable as Flamenco. Very mature and precise for a young skater.
    Bell placed 4th in the SP (49.91).

Polina Edmunds landed 3Lz+3T<, 3Lo & 2A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB9XGf3725U
    She holds a slim lead (57.78) in 1st after the SP in Mexico City.

Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast