Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Paul Wylie used to do that split flip in his programs too. I like it.
    This is one good use of the choreo sequence, especially since it has to be later in the program -- put in elements like highlighted single jumps that would fill a jump box earlier in the program but don't get in the way of getting credit for a full set of harder jumps if saved for the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It's been nearly 4 years and we haven't really had a full glimpse of that brilliance since.
    Come again? Her Total Score at Four Continents in 2011 was 189.46, very nearly the same as her score at the Olympics, and with a Personal Best in the Free Skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Mirai isn't the same skater she was back in 2009-2010. Plus there is much more depth in US Ladies now then entering the Olympic year in 2010.
    Perhaps, but remember there is a third Olympic spot up for grabs this time around (compared to 2010 when there were only 2 spots). I don't think it is out of the question that Nagasu can sneak into 3rd with a solid performance. She will just need to make sure she gets full credit for the jumps she does. Yes, the competition is a bit tougher this time around, with Zawadzki, Gao and potentially Hicks also in the mix (assuming, of course, that Wagner and Gold are out of reach for Nagasu at this point). But none of them is consistent, and at least one of them you can practically count on to mess up some portion of the FS...very much wide open IMO.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I generally prefer not to "hype" young skaters, but one of the best and most complete performances, IMO, from the Glacier Falls club competition this past weekend was by 2012 U.S. Novice champ/2013 Junior pewter medalist Karen Chen, who turns 14 this month, in winning the Junior Final - a video link to her Miss Saigon FS, choreographed by Mark Pillay, along with many positive fan comments, are posted in the U.S. Ladies discussion thread in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3968133
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Come again? Her Total Score at Four Continents in 2011 was 189.46, very nearly the same as her score at the Olympics, and with a Personal Best in the Free Skate.
    Agreed, her FS was great but she was not in the top 3 heading into the FS. She had a weak SP. If she'd had a stronger showing in the SP her score would have been higher than what she got in Vancouver.

Point is the last time Mirai had a strong SP and FS together was back in 2010. Since then she's had either a strong SP and a weak FS, or a weak SP and a strong FS. Majority of the time she's having so-so performances all around. I did think she had a strong SP at nationals last year but, again, her FS was not good.

vCash
    There are at least 12 US ladies who could conceivably earn one of the three Olympic berths (not nec'ly in this order): Wagner, Gold, Zawadsky, Hicks, Gao, Cesario, Wang, Czisny, Cain, Miller, Nagasu or Edmunds. Toss in the Wild Cards - C. Zhang and Lam, about whom little has been heard. Or Flatt - who knows what she's up to? Come January, Nagasu and the others may be fighting to make the top 10, let alone top 3.

vCash
    I only see 5 contenders (as of right now- things could change later)...maybe 6 at most. The others just aren't ready yet.

vCash
    Do you think Mirai will continue after this year?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Just so people know... there's a Nagasu thread in the Trash Can for discussion/speculation: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-Nagasu-thread

I heard that Rachael Flatt skated short and long programs in a Colorado club competition this past weekend, scoring around 56 in her SP (landed 3F+2T, 3Lo, 2A) but don't have any other details.

Karen Chen will make her JGP debut in Riga, Latvia at the end of this month - her name has replaced Angela Wang's in the ISU entry list. Hopefully Wang will show up at a later JGP.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ^ as for Flatt, a way to stay in shape or the makings of a comeback? I heard she was taking a full course load this fall so I assumed she was finished and wouldn't compete any more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    I only see 5 contenders (as of right now- things could change later)...maybe 6 at most. The others just aren't ready yet.
    I think the main contenders are Ashley, Gracie, Agnes, Courtney and Christina. Outside shots go to Alissa (if she can get back) and Mirai (depending on how her GP season goes).

Skaters like Polina, Angela, Samantha, Hannah, etc. could have really good performances at nationals but unless the main contenders tank horribly, I don't think they'll get a spot. They haven't even debuted on the GP yet. You usually want to send your seniors with international experience to the Olympics. Courtney doesn't have GP experience but the general thought is that she will get one GP season and even if she doesn't, she placed 4th at nationals last year.

Rachael has been gone too long and her skills have declined to much to be considered...Caroline, bless her heart, just isn't at the level of nearly any of the other girls...Lam is a bit of a wildcard but after missing last year, I don't think she's in the mix either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    ^ as for Flatt, a way to stay in shape or the makings of a comeback? I heard she was taking a full course load this fall so I assumed she was finished and wouldn't compete any more.
    This is intriguing. But, in order to qualify for Nationals, won't she have to compete at Regionals and Sectionals? Perhaps have a Senior B competition in there somewhere/

vCash
    Thank you everyone for reports and updates! I've got a lot of catching up to do! I was especially interested in what music selections Mirai had made for the Olympic season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I think the main contenders are Ashley, Gracie, Agnes, Courtney and Christina.
    The exact 5 I had in mind...ha! (Mind reader ). Actually 4 contenders with a non-experienced C Hicks potentially playing spoiler/possible upset for 3rd position.

Number 6 could be Nagasu if she delivers. Another one who can potentially upset if on...IF...

As for Czisny, I think time has run out for her. We'll have to see her in action later to know where she stands, but given that I would give even a healthy, prime Czisny a fighting chance at best (mostly due to her nerves and the higher level of domestic competition since her peak), a 50% Czisny has almost no shot at all...

Rachael has been gone too long and her skills have declined to much to be considered...Caroline, bless her heart, just isn't at the level of nearly any of the other girls...Lam is a bit of a wildcard but after missing last year, I don't think she's in the mix either.
    As harsh as this may sound, both of them are yesterday's news. The sport has clearly passed them by.
    Last edited by RD; 08-09-2013 at 03:28 AM.

vCash
    This season presents plenty of interesting opportunities to think beyond just the top 3 for the Olympic spots. In the most recent Olympics, the US chose to send their alternates (or the next 3 who did not make the team) to the Four Continents Championship. This made sense as the event was the week immediately following Nationals, and also came in the very narrow few weeks window before the Olympics. As an ISU Championship event, the opportunity to compete and place WELL (since most of the top US, Canadian, Asian athletes would also not be competing) would be quite valuable from an ISU Points standpoint (worth more than a Grand Prix event if I recall correctly).

Similarly, the Worlds after an Olympics is very commonly one in which "success"/"failure"/"exhaustion" ... any number of explanations, prompt the Olympic team members to skip the event. Worlds has a BOAT LOAD of points, and the generally "weaker then the Olympics" field (not assured, but not unreasonable to conceive) also creates some great opportunities for that "next tranche" of skaters to make their marks for the very important next season/first year of the next Quad. E.g., Adam Rippon used his 5th place finish at Nationals to good use, going on to win Four Continents and place very high (top 10) at Worlds.

Bottom line: I realize people are keenly focused on the question of "who will be the 3 to go to the Olympics??" but DEPTH amongst the US ladies is WELCOME as the results beyond the top 3 will have a meaningful implications for the Team as a whole.

vCash
    Thanks for the above links to Mirai's and Courtney's new programs, as skated a the recent summer events. Here's a sneak-peek at Gracie Gold's new Sleeping Beauty LP. I don't recall having seen it posted earlier. It's little fuzzy but you can tell the general layout of the program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT22vQu3I3A

It's way too early to tell if this is the final choreography but, to me, only the first minute or so (powerful tune at start of the overture) has choreography to match the music. I truly hope that the middle (soft) and final (Rose Adagio) sections are still in the process of being choreographed, as the steps have nothing whatsoever to do with the music, i.e., quick circular step sequence with wildly-flying Pluschenko Arms, while soft harps and violins are heard. HUH??? The first minute is fine, though...perfect for the big 3-3 combo.

Fun to compare these early versions of programs to what we'll eventually see in the big events 5-6 months from now. In some cases, entire sections may be altered or complete programs scrapped. It's great that skaters now have the opportunity to get the programs 'out there' so early, before the real competitions begin.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 08-09-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    A detailed, first-hand report of Gold's FS debut at Skate Milwaukee was posted by Coco in the U.S. Ladies thread in the Trash Can last month: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3955138

The video link was posted and subsequently discussed later in the same thread, starting here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3962591

ETA that the video link to NBC's new pre-Olympic fluff piece on Gold was posted in the latest U.S. Ladies thread yesterday: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3970092
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-09-2013 at 04:05 PM.

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia. I'll go to that thread.

That's why it's good to get some of these topics out of 'The Trash Can'...as some folks don't have time to sift through trash. A lot of what's stuffed into The Trash Can is important information, such as this.

Edited after reading the earlier comments: I guess I'm not the only one who noticed the flailing arms (!). Really, I bet that the music for most of this program will eventually change, to more powerful cuts from the SB score, following the first minute. Gracie is not a tinkly adagio sort of skater. I could see Zueva using Fairy Diamond's variation for the circular steps or one of the male variations (Bluebird or Prince Desire) - all of this from the ballet's 3rd act. I want Gracie and all of the potential Team USA Ladies to be shown to their best advantage at Nationals/4Cs/Olys/Worlds/GP Finals.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 08-09-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Title-less
    vCash
    I agree and I am excited at having like 9 ladies getting championship assignments. That said, I can see more than 10 ladies deserving assignments possibly, so there will still be girls without assignments. Esp if girls like Edmunds and Chen contend mainly for jw and highly likely to earn a spot. I hope Wang gets an assignment after nearly missing out on jr worlds two years in a row
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    This season presents plenty of interesting opportunities to think beyond just the top 3 for the Olympic spots. In the most recent Olympics, the US chose to send their alternates (or the next 3 who did not make the team) to the Four Continents Championship. This made sense as the event was the week immediately following Nationals, and also came in the very narrow few weeks window before the Olympics. As an ISU Championship event, the opportunity to compete and place WELL (since most of the top US, Canadian, Asian athletes would also not be competing) would be quite valuable from an ISU Points standpoint (worth more than a Grand Prix event if I recall correctly).

Similarly, the Worlds after an Olympics is very commonly one in which "success"/"failure"/"exhaustion" ... any number of explanations, prompt the Olympic team members to skip the event. Worlds has a BOAT LOAD of points, and the generally "weaker then the Olympics" field (not assured, but not unreasonable to conceive) also creates some great opportunities for that "next tranche" of skaters to make their marks for the very important next season/first year of the next Quad. E.g., Adam Rippon used his 5th place finish at Nationals to good use, going on to win Four Continents and place very high (top 10) at Worlds.

Bottom line: I realize people are keenly focused on the question of "who will be the 3 to go to the Olympics??" but DEPTH amongst the US ladies is WELCOME as the results beyond the top 3 will have a meaningful implications for the Team as a whole.

vCash
    My ideal assignments:

Skate America: Czisny

4CCs: Cesario, Nagasu, Hicks

Olympics: Wagner, Gold, Czisny

Worlds: Wagner, Gold, Gao

Jr Worlds: Edmunds, Wang, is Karen Chen old enough?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast