Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    The season is long. I hope she isn't peaking too soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I think Courtney is making a case for getting that 3rd spot for Sochi. The other girls better be on top of their game come Nationals.
    Why 3rd?! Think Ashley and Gracie need to be on top of their game also!!

Title-less
    vCash
    nm
    Last edited by jlai; 08-05-2013 at 02:20 AM.

vCash
    Isn't Hicks still skating on the junior level internationally? Seems she is on a different timetable than, say, Nagasu.

I think it would be a mistake to write Nagasu off at this point in time...she wasn't particularly impressive in 2009, either, until she suddenly showed up at 2010 Nationals...and the rest is history...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Isn't Hicks still skating on the junior level internationally?
    She's been assigned to the Salt Lake Senior B, along with Cesario, Zawadzki, and Gold.

Agnes Zawadzki blogged about her Sun Valley, Idaho experience: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-05-2013 at 02:56 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Isn't Hicks still skating on the junior level internationally? Seems she is on a different timetable than, say, Nagasu.

I think it would be a mistake to write Nagasu off at this point in time...she wasn't particularly impressive in 2009, either, until she suddenly showed up at 2010 Nationals...and the rest is history...
    Mirai isn't the same skater she was back in 2009-2010. Plus there is much more depth in US Ladies now then entering the Olympic year in 2010.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Mirai isn't the same skater she was back in 2009-2010. Plus there is much more depth in US Ladies now then entering the Olympic year in 2010.
    This. Mirai won on nationals in 2008 and in 2009 she had a growth spurt and never really got back to form. So headed into the Olympic season we had never seen her at full strength. She struggled during the GP but had a phenomenal performance at nationals and she ended up winning that second spot. Nobody had ever seen that side of Mirai before and it was amazing.

It's been nearly 4 years and we haven't really had a full glimpse of that brilliance since. I do not want to write Mirai off but at this point it just seems so unlikely that she will be able to do a 180 and magically begin performing the way she needs to in order to get herself back in the USFSA's good graces and earn the kind of score she needs to be considered for that spot. More and more skaters keep coming up behind her and she's just getting lost in the shuffle now. That's not one but two skaters who beat her soundly at the competition this weekend... And these are skaters who are still juniors internationally. As I said before she's not going to get any help when it comes to getting a leg up on the competition that's coming up behind her. From the looks of it she has a very very very long way to go to get herself where she needs to be and we already know the judges will do her no favors. I am pretty sure they would be much more inclined to choose Courtney or Polina over Mirai at this point. Mirai has had opportunity after opportunity to step up and be that top level skater...

I almost feel like it's too little too late at this point

vCash

IIRC, Mirai competed alongside Flatt and Zhang at a September comp. in 2009 and scored 101 points. She went on to compete in '09 Cup of China and was so dinged with UR's she received around 93 points in the LP. So, I think even then, Mirai wasn't fully together in the Fall. We have to see. I acknowledge that she has to 'get it together' but she seems to want it and is committed. The problem though is going to be getting some credibility back from the USFSA and facing a deeper field of US ladies than in 2010. That means knocking it out of the park on the GP circuit and Nationals. She's committed (good) but there's less room for error (bad)

vCash
    Polina Edmunds and Mariah Bell, the 2013 U.S. Junior gold & silver medalists, will make their respective JGP debuts in the 2nd JGP in Mexico City, Sept. 4-7.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I'd love to see Mirai with with Artunian to help with the jump technique, even if he would not be her full-time coach. I think he could help her with her under-rotation problems.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I'd love to see Mirai with with Artunian to help with the jump technique, even if he would not be her full-time coach. I think he could help her with her under-rotation problems.
    That's what I was thinking too but that ship has sailed. He's already with Ashley.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Well, my understanding is that the issue hasn't been having enough resources...she's just chosen not to take advantage of them. (See TSL Interview Frank Carroll--he mentions her lack of enthusiasm and commitment for jump drills).

She's this generations Bobek. (though she could always put herself together and have a Shizuka-type career )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Well, my understanding is that the issue hasn't been having enough resources...she's just chosen not to take advantage of them. (See TSL Interview Frank Carroll--he mentions her lack of enthusiasm and commitment for jump drills).

She's this generations Bobek. (though she could always put herself together and have a Shizuka-type career )
    Could you find the moment where Carroll said the bolded in the interview? I rewatched the interview a week ago and remember nothing about that, it was mainly Drew going on and on about Michelle Kwan. The Mirai portion of the interview was barely a minute.

vCash
    Drew?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Drew?
    I think icellist meant to say Dave.

vCash
    Mirai's "golden time" has passed her by. Sad, she had such potential. It probably would have been best had she not won that first national title. The performances at Glacier are nice, but lackluster and not national medal quality.

vCash
    Re-posting from the Glacier Falls competition thread in Kiss and Cry:

Here's Courtney Hicks' 1st place FS (122.47) to Evita: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAoyxoN6VyY
    6 triples landed (she opened with 3F+2T instead of 3-3), a cool Russian split single flip near the end, AND she managed to catch and hold up the broken straps of her dress as she finished her program!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Mirai's "golden time" has passed her by. Sad, she had such potential. It probably would have been best had she not won that first national title. The performances at Glacier are nice, but lackluster and not national medal quality.
    I think it's good that she has that national title...that and her 4th place finish in Vancouver are pretty much the pinnacle of her career. If she didn't have those accomplishments it'd be really sad. She's not what she used to be at all but I do hope she fights this season. I'm not sure what the outcome will be but I don't want to see her give up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Re-posting from the Glacier Falls competition thread in Kiss and Cry:

Here's Courtney Hicks' 1st place FS (122.47) to Evita: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAoyxoN6VyY
    6 triples landed (she opened with 3F+2T instead of 3-3), a cool Russian split single flip near the end, AND she managed to catch and hold up the broken straps of her dress as she finished her program!
    Paul Wylie used to do that split flip in his programs too. I like it. I hope she gains more connection to the music as the season goes on.

vCash

Re: U.S. Ladies news & updates - road to Boston & beyond, 2013-14 season

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Pass me your crystal ball. :p

In all seriousness, how can we still continue to write off skaters after all the comeback stories we've seen just in this quad: Wagner, Asada, Czisny, Kostner, etc? Maybe Mirai will kick it this season maybe she won't. Maybe Mirai will come back in the next quad, maybe she won't. I just think we should stop this habit of writing skaters off. The ice is always slippery and you never know who will bring it at any given competition.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast