vCash

New Car Styling - Blind Spots

Has anyone bought a newer car with the rounder styling that also comes with big side blind spots? They are on most of the crossover SUVs and bigger type cars and even some of the sedans. How is driving with this style? Any comments?

They are adding things like blind spot monitoring and rear view cameras to compensate but I’d rather they just open up the rear view and not rely on gadgetry.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    We have a Ford Escape hybrid. To be honest, I've never noticed what the blind spots are, because the inset 'blind spot' mirrors are amazing. A car is traveling behind you in your regular mirror, it can be viewed in both mirrors, then only the blind spot mirror, then be seen beside you and still in the blind spot mirror. So at least to the side, there is no blind spot at all.

It also has a rear view camera and those back up beeping, but I still back up using a combination of the mirror and looking behind me. I do take note of the camera, but I ignore the beeping.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    My new Chevy Traverse has the blind spot mirrors too. Very helpful. I don't know if they're standard or because we got the tow package, but they are great when towing too.

vCash
    Thanks guys. I did test drive a car with the insert mirrors and you're right - they work really well. Plus their low tech so no worries about them malfunctioning. I will look at more cars with that option. Someone did tell me that they are available aftermarket too....just need to switch them out with the factory installed mirrors.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    I have them in my new Ford Focus hatchback. It's very handy as I'm short and I have a hard time looking over my shoulder in the new car.

vCash
    I have a 2008 Scion XB. The "D" pillar on both back passenger sides provides a nasty blind spot when using diagonal parking spots. I have to strain my neck and inch my way out. So I tend to avoid the situation as much as possible.

It is one of the very few complaints I've had with the car.

vCash
    I have a big car and have the blind spot assist mirrors. As well as back up and too close beeper for pulling into the garage, etc. they side mirrors have saved me a million times. However..... I had to rent a car recently that did not have them. Boy what a wake up call. I really rely on that blind spot assist. it is great to have but boy you have to look too.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeine View Post
    I have a 2008 Scion XB. The "D" pillar on both back passenger sides provides a nasty blind spot when using diagonal parking spots. I have to strain my neck and inch my way out. So I tend to avoid the situation as much as possible.

It is one of the very few complaints I've had with the car.
    I have the same problem with my 2009 Accord -- and my town is full of diagonal parking!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    I love everything about my VW New Beetle except the hideous blind spots. I may have to get some of those aftermarket mirrors.

vCash
    Sorry but I hate those mirrors. They create an incorrect perception of depth where things behind look further away than what they are. I am about to get a new car with them but then you don't have any choice these days. I would much rather rely on my headchecks.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Here is a tip I found regarding blind spots – maybe you guys already knew this - but I was taught to leave my side mirrors angled so that I saw a sliver of my car on each side and never thought about doing it differently. Another way to do this is to angle your side mirrors further out so that you don’t see your car at all but see more of the road on each side. This gets the mirrors into the blind spots. I have been trying this out on my car the last week and I LOVE IT. I still have been doing head checks but I feel more comfortable knowing what is around me at all times. If you need to parallel park or back into a space, you will need to readjust the mirrors but for regular highway driving, this works great.
    What would Jenny do?

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I have a Lexus SUV with blind spot monitors. If you put your turn signal on to change lanes, and there is a car in your blind spot, a yellow light starts flashing in your side mirrors to tell you not to change lanes. Then you can do a headcheck and see the car. I love blind spot monitor.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.