Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Some of the worst IMO - Grischuk & Platov's 1994 Rock & Roll medley, Baiul's 1994 FS, Ilia Kulik's 1998 "American In Paris" FS, Surya Bonaly's 1998 FS to classical music (it wasn't HER at all)
    I'm not sure any choice that won an OGM can be called bad. After all, it worked. I especially disagree with calling Kulik's 98 FS music a bad choice. (Still Gershwin, but it was Rhapsody in Blue, BTW. American in Paris was his 95 FS that won him the Junior World championship and a surprise European title.) I thought RIB really suited his somewhat loose and easy style.

I would agree with Duchesnay's West Side Story as a disappointing choice. Sticking with 92, I thought Liebestraum fit Mishkutenok & Dmitriev to perfection.

vCash
    I re-watched the 2010 Men's LP last night and from that...

Worst: Oda's 2010 Olympics Charlie Chaplin LP was such a poor choice. I couldn't tell if it was the choreography that was bad or what. It was unfortunate.

Best: I was surprised that I really enjoyed Johnny Weir's LP. I used to think his later programs were contrived, but that was a beautifully clean artistic program worthy of a medal.

vCash
    M&D Rachmanninov
    Chen Lu's Butterfly Lovers
    Katarina's Carmen.

It's the Olympics, after all, and I need to see some larger-than-life drama!

vCash
    I echo Lu Chen and her Butterfly Lovers.
    MK - Lyra Angelica
    Arakawa - Turandot

I still don't get Slutskaya's LP in 06. I know she had a bad day, but still - in comparison to Shiz and Sasha I thought that LP was decidedly (and even more) generic, blah and lacking in sophistication.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I echo Lu Chen and her Butterfly Lovers.
    MK - Lyra Angelica
    Arakawa - Turandot

I still don't get Slutskaya's LP in 06. I know she had a bad day, but still - in comparison to Shiz and Sasha I thought that LP was decidedly (and even more) generic, blah and lacking in sophistication.
    Totally agree with these selections.

I would list Slutskaya 06 in the 'worst choice' category, the Latin diva persona totally didn't work for her. Not that the judges cared, had she stayed upright and done all her beillmans and COE zombie spin, they would have put her over Shizuka (which for me would have been a crime).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    Worst I've seen: Dom/Shab aborigine dance, Tonya Harding's Jurassic Park. And not the worst, but bad: S/P Love Story. And if exhibitions count, Sarah Hughes' at SLC.
    I looked at Sale/Pelletier's "Love Story" at the Olympics the same way a lot of posters looked at the Duchesnays skating to "West Side Story". They skated it well but it was generic music with recycled costumes and a recycled program. The Olympics is a special event and I want to see the skaters acknowledge it through their program and costume choices. I'm not sure that wouldn't have hurt them with some of the judges even if the brouhaha with Marie Reine-LeGougne hadn't taken place.

vCash
    Besides MRL S/P lost 4 other judges and they have only themselves because of that program to blame!!!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    How about the decision to drop your coach and choreographer. Does that count?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Carolina's dresses were just horrendous at Vancouver (though I love the programs)

vCash
    The only ones I can think of which haven't been mentioned are B&K's 1998 OD (worst) and their 1998 FD (best). Lol it's funny how it worked out that way.

vCash
    It's funny to see so many people list S/P's Love Story as a horrible Olympic choice when I remember so many people on the boards were saying they'd be idiotic not to go back to Love Story for the Olympics. Don't get me wrong, I remember that "Orchid" had many ardent fans too, but it really seemed like back then so many people were saying Love Story was their better shot at gold.

vCash
    Mao Asada - Bells of Moscow. could not be worse...... Any musics that she used in her career were better for her than this. What the worst thing is, she made the worst music choice in an olympic season, of her all seasons.
    Maybe It is why she chose very her style musics for the next Olympic season. I expect her choice, Nocturne for SP would be the best choice for upcoming olympic season. This music is for her..
    Last edited by torren; 08-02-2013 at 01:46 PM.

vCash
    I looked at Sale/Pelletier's "Love Story" at the Olympics the same way a lot of posters looked at the Duchesnays skating to "West Side Story". They skated it well but it was generic music with recycled costumes and a recycled program. The Olympics is a special event and I want to see the skaters acknowledge it through their program and costume choices.
    Part of what made West Side Story so disappointing was that their their Calgary FD was really interesting and noteworthy and most of their free dances between 88 and 92 had also been pretty special and innovative. (I think the changes Klimova/Ponamarenko felt they had to make in their own free dance music and choreo choices says a ton about how impactful the Duchesnay's style and presence was. It made the cliche'd and conservative WSS seem such a come down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Part of what made West Side Story so disappointing was that their their Calgary FD was really interesting and noteworthy and most of their free dances between 88 and 92 had also been pretty special and innovative. (I think the changes Klimova/Ponamarenko felt they had to make in their own free dance music and choreo choices says a ton about how impactful the Duchesnay's style and presence was. It made the cliche'd and conservative WSS seem such a come down.
    I think between Calgary and Albertville they went from having nothing to lose to feeling immense pressure to win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    It's funny to see so many people list S/P's Love Story as a horrible Olympic choice when I remember so many people on the boards were saying they'd be idiotic not to go back to Love Story for the Olympics. Don't get me wrong, I remember that "Orchid" had many ardent fans too, but it really seemed like back then so many people were saying Love Story was their better shot at gold.
    It was safe for s/p to do love story but that safeness was also problematic! Their comfort level was very important for them doing well but it had big problems of it's own! So they could be technically clean but lose 5 judges!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    I consider Kerrigan's Paradise and the Master Short program from 1992 to be the worst music ever chosen by any skater
    Amen! Too bad too, the costume was gorgeous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I liked Love Story. It was definitely better than Orchid. I don't hate S/P like a lot of people on this board do lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I read somewhere that Christopher Dean pretty much forced them to go with WSS, since it was a safe choice, or he wouldn't do the choreography.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I read somewhere that Christopher Dean pretty much forced them to go with WSS, since it was a safe choice, or he wouldn't do the choreography.
    I read about this in Toller Cranston's selection of short biographies, too; they had been forced into doing WSS - but as I read the lines, Dean was interested in that piece because he wanted to use it himself with Tovill later on and therefor told the Ds it's either this or he wouldn't choreograph for them. It was obviously no "safe choice" - has this been said anywhere? Making them act two characters who do not appear together in the stageplay or the movie seemed so odd. Somehow it's clear that it couldn't work for them... As said by Susan M earlier in the thread their Calgary FD Savage Rites was so interesting and fitted them perfectly.

vCash
    I don't think that DomShabs choices were all that bad in Vancouver. People say they lost the chance to win a gold medal with their programs; I'd argue that Maxim's injury played a bigger role in that. These programs did what they were designed to do - distract everyone with over the top drama and costumes while downplaying his injury. They're both terrible programs, but all things considered, they weren't terrible choices, imo. Similarly, did S/P ever skate Orchard cleanly? I thought going back to Love Story was more canny than anything.

I think "Mahler" for V/M was a superb program and choice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast