Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyjosie View Post
    I read about this in Toller Cranston's selection of short biographies, too; they had been forced into doing WSS - but as I read the lines, Dean was interested in that piece because he wanted to use it himself with Tovill later on and therefor told the Ds it's either this or he wouldn't choreograph for them. It was obviously no "safe choice" - has this been said anywhere? Making them act two characters who do not appear together in the stageplay or the movie seemed so odd. Somehow it's clear that it couldn't work for them... As said by Susan M earlier in the thread their Calgary FD Savage Rites was so interesting and fitted them perfectly.
    I did read Toller's book that you're talking about and I guess that's where I got that from. I thought that's also where it said it was a safe choice, instead of innovative programs like Savage Rites and Missing, because it was "traditional," and something the judges would probably like, but maybe I read that additional bit somewhere else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I did read Toller's book that you're talking about and I guess that's where I got that from. I thought that's also where it said it was a safe choice, instead of innovative programs like Savage Rites and Missing, because it was "traditional," and something the judges would probably like, but maybe I read that additional bit somewhere else.
    I read the according passages in Cranston's book, and it is Cranston himself who wrote that they were "playing it safe", it was a remark by himself in an interview after the ice dancing event which he had been commenting at (?), as I understand him. Cranston always pointed out how much he loved the Duchesnays, and how he sympathized with them, so he didn't mean to critizise their performance as such, I guess, but rather the coice of theme and music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    I absolutely love the music choice and would love to see more programs using it...I could see Carolina Kostner skating to it beautifully...

Poor choices (both program and packaging): Moronzov's techno Requiem and the dreaded, heinous Cleopatra. All these years later and I still wish the snake poison would hurry up. It makes me realize, however, that Miki never had the luxury of skating in a decent costume at the Olympics. :(
    what about her 2006 sp costume?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOw7KoMz7s4

not the best fit of the skirt but i liked to see some differnece to the other skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    what about her 2006 sp costume?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOw7KoMz7s4

not the best fit of the skirt but i liked to see some differnece to the other skaters.
    for me awful.. looks like she would be fat, and so gloomy..she looks older than now

vCash
    I totally agree with the comments about the Duchesnays and West Side Story. I seem to remember that they were leaning towards doing a French apache dance - sort of like their 1988 OSP. I had heard that Christopher Dean gave them an ultimatum. They had a rough year. They skipped all the pre-Olympic competitions, so their debut of West Side Story was on the night of the Olympic free dance (never a good move). Plus, their brother died and Isabelle's marriage to Christopher was starting to fall apart.

vCash
    We never saw it take on more life than Marshalls but Michelle Kwan's 2006 Totentanz seemed like an incredibly unseemly choice...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    We never saw it take on more life than Marshalls but Michelle Kwan's 2006 Totentanz seemed like an incredibly unseemly choice...
    Agreed.

Especially since her rival Slutskaya was skating to the same music with superior elements.

Likewise, Kwan's never-seen "Bells of Moscow" free skate would've been a dirge like Mao Asada's.

Both are lyrical skaters who excel with uplifting music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    Both are lyrical skaters who excel with uplifting music.
    While I do find Mao's artistry to be pretty one-dimensional, Kwan masterfully demonstrated a much broader range with darker programs like Ariane, Fate of Carmen, The Feeling Begins, Red Violin, etc.

vCash
    While I do acknowledge Michelle's incredible range in music selections, I also don't recall that she has ever skated to such a heavy, dark piece as "Bells of Moscow". Even her darker programs had lyrical sections in them, which is what made them great programs. However, it would be different if she were to choose the original piano version which is hauntingly beautiful. Jeffrey Buttle skated to it once and did a great job.
    Last edited by miki88; 08-09-2013 at 11:58 AM.

vCash
    Best:

Mishkutenok-Dmitriev's Liebestraum in 1992 was like a dream.

B&S's Meditation from Thais was an excellent choice to showcase their strengths- lyricism, lines, speed

G&G's Moonlight Sonata in 94

Katarina Witt's Carmen in 88 suited her very well.

Worst:

Usova-Zhulin's FD in 1994 - it wasn't them at all. It did not allow them to showcase their strength- drama, lines, fluidity. I believe it was Dubova's choice. I wish they had dumped her before that season (but how could they, after winning the worlds in 93?)

Anissina-Peizerat's FD in 2002- the MLK voice over and the whole program was awful, but it was still good enough for an OGM because of their skating skills
    Last edited by Vash01; 08-09-2013 at 07:50 PM.

vCash
    Ah yes I forgot U/Z's 94 FD. That was... confusing.

Sigh. I love them so much still.

vCash
    And I can't believe I didn't think of this one straight away:

F-P/M's "I will survive" from SLC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    And I can't believe I didn't think of this one straight away:

F-P/M's "I will survive" from SLC.

By the freaking Hermes House Band, none the less! Like the worst cover of that song EVER. Totally tacky, and not even in a so-bad-it's-good category.

Butyrskaya in 2002. She should have had music that emphasized her maturity and sexiness (hello, Habanera). Instead she was packaged like an unflexible virgin grandma.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Anissina-Peizerat's FD in 2002- the MLK voice over and the whole program was awful, but it was still good enough for an OGM because of their skating skills
    True, but they also had that AWESOME OD to back it up.

Love your best choices too.

vCash
    Seasons from Virtue/Moir at 2014.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I liked Love Story. It was definitely better than Orchid. I don't hate S/P like a lot of people on this board do lol.
    Agreed!

Worst - Domnina & Shabalin's Aborigine dance!

vCash
    MK's decision to recycle her 1998 SP in 2002 was a bad one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Best:

Mishkutenok-Dmitriev's Liebestraum in 1992 was like a dream.

Katarina Witt's Carmen in 88 suited her very well.

Worst:

MK's decision to recycle her 1998 SP in 2002 was a bad one.
    I completely agree with both of these quotes. M&D long program in 92' was just gorgeous. To date one of the best pairs programs I've ever seen. I enjoyed A&P's career, but their 02' long program was just awful. I wished they'd done something like Carmina Burana or MITIM instead.

And agreed, MK recycling the 98 Olympic short left a bad taste in my mouth. Though she skated it well, it was very blah - not impactful like it was during the 97-98 season.

Others I'll add:

BEST:
    Yamaguchi - Her 92' long was wonderful. Great music choice and choreography even with the mistakes.

A&P - 02' original dance to Flamenco.

A&P - 98' free program to Romeo and Juliet was pretty spectacular.

Plushenko - His 02' Carmen. Lots of dramatic choreography, the music cuts were great too.

Cohen - 06' Romeo and Juliet was just gorgeous. Wonderful choreography and music cuts. One of the best ladies Olympic long programs even with the mistakes.

WORST:
    Nancy Kerrigan - Both programs for 92 and 94 were awful IMO. Don't get me wrong her costumes were beautiful, but the music cuts were horrible and the choreography wasn't much better.
    Last edited by Enero; 03-22-2014 at 01:07 PM.

vCash
    Grishuk and Platov's 1994 Rock'n'roll was the best choice of music ever! It showed off their speed and youth and made everyone else look old and past their sell buy date. They would never have won with any other music.

I also loved Alexei Urmanov's 1994 long programme.

On the other hand, Usova and Zhulin's 1994 free dance was a real WTF moment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    Some of the best - Katarina's "Carmen", Torvill and Dean's "Bolero", Bereznaya & Sikhaurlidze's "The Lady Calyph", Katarina Witt's 1994 SP & FS choices ("Robin Hood" & "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?"), Ilia Kulik's 1998 "Revolutions" SP

Some of the worst IMO - Grischuk & Platov's 1994 Rock & Roll medley, Baiul's 1994 FS, Ilia Kulik's 1998 "American In Paris" FS, Surya Bonaly's 1998 FS to classical music (it wasn't HER at all)
    she returned to her 94 season 4season lp for 98 in part because it was considered a signature program for her by most and the best fit in terms of being very her while still in the judges limited wheelhouse.

For worst: I nominate the entire final flight from the slc dance competition, especially the top 4 finishers. Omg what a awful night of music choices. Travesty that can never be "unheard"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast